Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Licence Question

Options
  • 26-11-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

I have a full licence and was wondering do you need to always have it on you when driving? Is there a punishment involved if stopped and do not have it or is there time given to produce it?

The story is I usually drive the girlfriends car as do not have my own at moment so the licence is in that car. I need to go somewhere tomorrow and a relative said I can use her car no problem. I cant get my licence till wednesday.

I am insured no problem as the girlfriends policy covers all drivers on the policy, including named drivers, to drive other cars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always carry it, many don't.
    I believe you are supposed to always have it but like a lot of laws it isn't enforced.

Even if there is zero fines/points, etc, you should still carry it as it saves a trip to the local station if you are asked to produce it within 10 days

Interestingly, on every American TV show, drivers always have their documents when the trooper asks for "licence and registration".
    Maybe we'll get there someday

Btw, where are the credit card licences? Thought the civil service had some plans for that, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

micmclo wrote: »
    I always carry it, many don't.
    I believe you are supposed to always have it but like a lot of laws it isn't enforced.

Even if there is zero fines/points, etc, you should still carry it as it saves a trip to the local station if you are asked to produce it within 10 days

Interestingly, on every American TV show, drivers always have their documents when the trooper asks for "licence and registration".
    Maybe we'll get there someday

Btw, where are the credit card licences? Thought the civil service had some plans for that, what happened?

Never really drive any other car so just leave it in the other car.

Ive been driving for 18 months now and only ever needed to produce my licence once which was when some guy wrote off my car and the guard just wanted to see my licence at the scene which was fine.

Anybody else got info on the law regarding this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tall_paul83

they introduced a law there a few years ago which makes it an offence to drive without your licence...if u do get stopped by a garda u cud get in trouble...however i drove for 6 months without having tax (not my fault) and didnt get stopped once (and im a provisional!) so i wouldn't worry about it...im sure if anything happened you could present it at your local garda station within a few days r something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's illegal to drive without it. I don't believe you get any leeway with the produce within 10 days thing, the guard can screw you to the wall if he wants (I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's legislation that allows for making not having your license a penalty point offence, but they haven't actually made it a points offence yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

And there you have it folks!

Advertisement