Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa - dashboard lights - how do I turn them on?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I've got an Opel Corsa. There's a little display which shows the time/date/radio station. When the lights are off this lights up. When the lights are on this goes dark.

This seems a bit mad to me. Surely you'd want it illuminated when the car lights are on, as it's no doubt dark outside?

Can anyone help me out with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's a dimmer switch beside the light switch a far as I remember, a thumb wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually when you turn on the lights, the display dims so as it's not too glaring. I assume this uses a series resistance to do this. Maybe the series resistance is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@colm_mcm
    The dimmer switch controls the contract/brightness for the display with the speedometer etc on it. Doesn't have any effect on the time display in this case.

@crosstownk
    How would I test or check this easily? Is it likely to be a loose wire or broken connector even though it works with the lights off?

Should this time display actually light up when the lights are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

In my 00 corsa b the dimmer effects the clock display also.
    Must be something faulty in the electrics if its not working i would guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ciaranfo wrote: »
    How would I test or check this easily? Is it likely to be a loose wire or broken connector even though it works with the lights off?

Should this time display actually light up when the lights are on?

Yes - at least it does on my Zafira, and every other Opel I've driven. It has to - -the radio is useless without it.

If it is a series resistance, I imagine it's in the light switch. The other possibility is that the light switch switches the feed to lower wattage bulbs - if that's the case then it could be blown bulbs behind the display. I'll ask my friendly Opel dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say. What year is your Corsa?

• Advertisement

It's a 99 and I believe it's an Opel Corsa Eco.

My first car and I really don't wanna be popping into the garage unless absolutely needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It should just dim down when you have the lights on, it shouldn't go completely off.

It does. So I should pop down to an Opel dealer? Will they know what I'm on about? Will they charge me an arm and a leg? Will they laugh me outta the place?

Is this something simple or stupid I should be able to sort myself?

Advertisement