Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Oil for DieselCars

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Not sure of the legal aspects of this, but apparently it is technically feasible. First look at this Top Gear clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps&feature=related

Based on it, I checked Tesco online and they sell "Tesco Pure Vegetable Oil 3 Litre" for €2.04, or €0.68 per litre. Compared to €1.20 for diesel at the pumps, seems kind of attractive. Has anyone here done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

This is more suited to the Motors forum than Bargain Alerts tbh !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Zynks, i would check at your local cash and carry as buying new oil in bulk is better.

This can easily be done but you should use a 50/50 mix of oil and diesel. I have had no problems in 3 years.

Also, it is better suited to slightly older diesel cars/vans. (i would not advise using this in a new car/van)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Access wrote: »

This can easily be done but you should use a 50/50 mix of oil and diesel. I have had no problems in 3 years.

HAve you just been using standard veggie oil in a 50/50 mix with diesel? With nothing added?

Am driving a 97 peugeot partner van at the min so it's a good cheap motor to try it on without risking killing an expencive car.

Stekelly wrote: »
    HAve you just been using standard veggie oil in a 50/50 mix with diesel? With nothing added?

Am driving a 97 van at the min so it's a good cheap motor to try it on without risking killing an expencive car.

Diesel engines were originally designed to run on peanut oil.

I use a low viscosity cooking oil (non thick) with no additive and you would notice a slightly sweet smell from the exhaust but nothing too bad.

I did try using used oil for a time, but got pissed off with all the filtering and leaving it to stand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Access wrote: »
    Also, it is better suited to slightly older diesel cars/vans. (i would not advise using this in a new car/van)
    I have a two year old car with a 2.5 litre CRD. Why would it be riskier on a newer car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is the tiny matter of illegality though :D

Pure Plant Oil (PPO) is exempt from excise duty ...as long as it is supplied by a recognised supplier and used in a car with a recognised PPO conversion.

PPO does however attract VAT at 21%

Cooking oil on the other hand is classified as food and has a 0% VAT rate.

So every time you pour Tescos finest into your tank, you're evading tax.

Trouble is ...they can smell you coming at the customs checkpoint, as your exhaust fumes will have a definite note of french fries ...now try and explain that you only ever bought one bottle of the stuff to try it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Use oil that is of a grade recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Don't try to save a few quid by saving on oil. It is the component that links all the other components. It needs to be of adequate quality.

Zynks wrote: »
    I have a two year old car with a 2.5 litre CRD. Why would it be riskier on a newer car?

PPO is less lubricating than diesel. A lot of the modern high pressure injection systems (common rail, Pumpe-Duese) rely on the lubrication provided by the diesel passing through. Use PPO and you could possibly seize your (very expensive) injection system.

PPO is best suited for old fashioned pre-chamber diesels with Bosch injection pumps (they have a separate oil lubrication circuit)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »
    Trouble is ...they can smell you coming at the customs checkpoint, as your exhaust fumes will have a definite note of french fries ...now try and explain that you only ever bought one bottle of the stuff to try it out :D

There is no way of self declaration here is there? Ive never heard of anyone being "done" in Ireland for running PPO anyhow.
    Couldnt be more than a handful who tried it (at considerable vehicle risk*), not worth the hassle of even pursuing or setting up tax. UK allows you 2500L of tax free BioFuel now.

*BioDiesel is an entirely different story of course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

crosstownk wrote: »
    Use oil that is of a grade recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Don't try to save a few quid by saving on oil. It is the component that links all the other components. It needs to be of adequate quality.

Try reading the thread not the subject line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One other thing to be aware of is that you can get what is called polymerisation of the lube oil, where the lube oil gets much thicker from contact wit the veg oil.
    The solution is to use fully synthetic oil or fully vegetable based oil for engine lubrication.
    Polymerisation does not always occur but when it does it is catastrophic.

TWO THINGS!...

1. Fu*k Customs and excise... (my personal opinion) - i am not going into them to fill out forms everytime i fill up!

2. Lets not get too techie on this.

Peasent is right, if you have a near new car... dont try it.

If you have an old diesel car / van (1 would suggest pre 2002 reg) then it should be okay.

Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Where is it in law that you cannot run your car on veg oil and have to pay fuel tax on it? I understand that there is excise on petrol and diesel, and therefore it is collected as people buy it to run their cars. If you choose to use a different fuel source, what law says this fuel is now subject to excise?:confused:

For instance, if I get my car to run on socks in the morning, do I pay excise on socks I use as fuel? Seems silly to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"If you have an old diesel car / van (1 would suggest pre 2002 reg) then it should be okay."

I think Peasant is thinking of a vintage many years before 2002...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Oilrig wrote: »
    "If you have an old diesel car / van (1 would suggest pre 2002 reg) then it should be okay."

I would think it would be pre- Common rail, so 97/98 would be the newest you could try on alot of brands.

Oilrig wrote: »

Indeed I am.

Especially if you just want to throw in the odd swig of cooking oil/PPO without making any changes to the engine / pump / filters / fuel lines etc

Advertisement