Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ridiculous esb bills!

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

over the last 12 months i am getting ridiculously high esb bills, some are estimated, some are not. I am not doing anything different then the year before or the year before that even.

we have a dishwasher
    use the washingmachine about 18 times a week.
    an electric cooker that is in use daily for about an hour
    3 pc's that are used daily
    NO tumble dryer
    we have energy saver light bulbs almost everywhere
    and i think thats about it.

our bill on average is now 400 euro per 2 months.!!!!

i was wondering if this is normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

That's high - will your metre be read for the next bill? ESB bills in general have gone up. Ours was 250 for two months last time and that was HIGH compared to normal...there's 4 adults and 1 child in this house and we have tumble dryer, dishwasher, etc, all the usual, electric shower!

Do you have storage heating by any chance? The washing machine seems to be on quite a bit! Don't know what else is causing it to be so high - they say anything with a heating element in it uses far more lecky.....

Just as a matter of interest, how many people live in the house? If you have 3 PCs, how many TVs? how many times in the kettle boiled? How many times is the dishwasher on, once a day? have ye an electric shower? How many times is that used? Orhave ye more than one?

I suppose just try and cut down as best you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SASQUATCH

Sounds like your using the washing machine an awful lot.
    I did live in one house that seemed to use a lot more electricity than rhe one i'm in now, for no logical reason. I wonder if old wiring could possibly leak current
    innocously . Bit of a long shot though. You should check out the efficiency of all the stuff you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

This isnt a PI I am moving it too..lets see..consumer issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

we live in a 3 bedroom semi d ( normal house ), the house is only 7/8 years old... 3 adults and 1 toddler.

no electric showers ( i wish )

2 tv's

kettle once a day

dishwasher once or twice a day.

we have gas heating, no electrics there.

coffeemachine about 3 times a day.

a bit of radio

big double door fridge and 1 normal fridge that broke down recently , well.. not really broke down, it is still on, the freezer works but the fridge part doesnt become cold enough therefore we leave it on, maybe thats the big mistake?

im getting really worried now, maybe we paid way to much all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"use the washingmachine about 18 times a week."

It won't matter how many energy saving bulbs you have unless you can cut down on washine machine time, what water-temp is the machine set at normally, do you use quick wash or the "slow wash" with pre-wash?.

Wash your own dishes too, its not hard to be honest and its muhc cheaper, any appliance that heats cold water costs money to run.

A fridge should turn its self on and off as it reaches its set temp, so how is it being kept on all the time? You might as well burn a wallet of fivers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Analyse your usage for an average day / week.
    You know where you're meter is? Read it, then check it once done.
    Try cutting back on one thing (washing machine sounds big... only use for full loads etc..) then work out costs.
    Your rate charges will be on your ESB bill.
    Remember to turn off TVs (not on standby) and all the other usual energy saving methods...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SASQUATCH wrote: »
    Sounds like your using the washing machine an awful lot.
    Indeed. Some tips on power savings
    http://www.earth.org.uk/saving-electricity.html
    http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Our ESB bills are standard 250 - 300 for 2 months and i think thats bad!

House only built in 2004 so reason given by spark i had check it out was that we had a Bison fitted. This septic tank thingy (arent girls great:D) works on electricity, every time u flush it costs! and the kids do love to flush!

Still cant see how it could be 400 and as for washing with 4 kids my washing machine and tumble dryer is gonig alot so i put alot of my bill down to this.

especially with no electric shower.

You don't seem to have anything out of the ordinary you're not considering. If not ask someone to check it out. Pretty sure you can ring them to investigate it.

Tough old bill every 2 months, look into it! My bet is it was hit by lightning. how long ago did the bills go mental, and how long are you in the house?

mike65 wrote: »
    "use the washingmachine about 18 times a week."

It won't matter how many energy saving bulbs you have unless you can cut down on washine machine time, what water-temp is the machine set at normally, do you use quick wash or the "slow wash" with pre-wash?.

Wash your own dishes too, its not hard to be honest and its muhc cheaper, any appliance that heats cold water costs money to run.

A fridge should turn its self on and off as it reaches its set temp, so how is it being kept on all the time? You might as well burn a wallet of fivers.

Mike.

18 washes a week is standard enuf for a family of 3 adults and a child, im a house wife and wash what needs to be washed!

running a dishwasher once a day is also standard enuf for a family these days.
    the fridge thing is probaly nothing...

im just wondering is 400e every 2 months excessive or standard for normal family living because thats all we do here?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Analyse your usage for an average day / week.
    You know where you're meter is? Read it, then check it once done.
    Try cutting back on one thing (washing machine sounds big... only use for full loads etc..) then work out costs.
    Your rate charges will be on your ESB bill.
    Remember to turn off TVs (not on standby) and all the other usual energy saving methods...

good idea thks will try this!

• Advertisement

themadchef wrote: »
    Our ESB bills are standard 250 - 300 for 2 months and i think thats bad!

House only built in 2004 so reason given by spark i had check it out was that we had a Bison fitted. This septic tank thingy (arent girls great:D) works on electricity, every time u flush it costs! and the kids do love to flush!

Still cant see how it could be 400 and as for washing with 4 kids my washing machine and tumble dryer is gonig alot so i put alot of my bill down to this.

especially with no electric shower.

You don't seem to have anything out of the ordinary you're not considering. If not ask someone to check it out. Pretty sure you can ring them to investigate it.

Tough old bill every 2 months, look into it! My bet is it was hit by lightning. how long ago did the bills go mental, and how long are you in the house?

we dont have a septic tank and dont use tumble dryer. the bill just seems to steadily climb year after year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Well from what you're using it sounds mental high. i would have thought around 200ish.

Must be people on here with a similar family / house set up who can tell you what their bill totals.

Whiskeyman is dead on with his advice, thats what the ESB told us to do at that time.

Best of luck

Katrina

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Could be a fault with the meter has been known to happen! check it out with the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

sjaakie wrote: »
    we dont have a septic tank and dont use tumble dryer. the bill just seems to steadily climb year after year...

If you do 18 loads of washing in a week, how are you drying all those clothes without using the tumble dryer?

As I already said, 4 adults and one child here (in 4 bed average family home built over 25 years ago) and last bill of 250 for two months was HUGE in comparison to what we're used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Get one of these and start measuring the energy consumption of your appliances.

I'd start with the dodgy fridge, then the fridge freezer then the washing machine. Measure each over at least 48 hours.

The power monitor will pay for itself in no time if it helps identify were problem is.

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    If you do 18 loads of washing in a week, how are you drying all those clothes without using the tumble dryer?

As I already said, 4 adults and one child here (in 4 bed average family home built over 25 years ago) and last bill of 250 for two months was HUGE in comparison to what we're used to.

i dry the clothes on a large clothes horse, takes up most of the landing.

BendiBus wrote: »

I'd start with the dodgy fridge, then the fridge freezer then the washing machine. Measure each over at least 48 hours.

The power monitor will pay for itself in no time if it helps identify were problem is.

this is perfect ill get one and check everything before i approach the ESB, thks!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The amount of washing and dishwashign your doing sounds very high.

Taking a day off your doing loads fo washing 3 times a day. Is it full or is the washing machine going on half empty?

Same for the dishwasher. A dishwasher holds about 20 plates and similar in cups/glasses, as well as maybe 8 bowls. I'd find it hard to fill that over a couple of days here, in a house that usually has 3 adults, 1 teenager and a toddeler. Is it full when its being put on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Jebus that seems high.
    2 people in our house, washing machine on 2-3 times a week,
    dishwasher 1-2 times. Both working full time so no lights etc
    on between 8am-5pm on weekdays.
    Electric shower on every morning/evening.

5pm-whenever theres lights and cooker on, kettle boiled a
    few times, tv and pc on. Radio the odd time

Bills averaging at €80 for 2 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you using a tumble dryer?
    Those things are evil on the esb bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Jebus that seems high.

Yeah but his washing machine is used 6 times more than yours and the dishwasher up to 7 times more. teh rest is probably similar, depending on whether anyone is in his house durign the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Two Adults, two kids, one dog, three goldfish,
    two power showers run of a pump 2/3 times a day
    washing machine 8/9 loads a week
    Drier 8/9 loads
    dishwasher once a day
    TV 1 on nearly all day 2 in the evening
    computers, printers, fax,
    oil heating/solar for hot water>>hot feed to washing machine
    Mobiles, DS's and Laptop constantly on charge

average bill €100 per month

Used the energy calc and roughy work out at 180 for two months so about right

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

sjaakie, do you have alot of downlighters in your house?? I think (but I could be wrong), each downlighter is approx 30w-50w, and if you had say 6 downlighters in each room as opposed to one 100w fitting, it does add up. Are all your appliances A-rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

BendiBus wrote: »

I second this idea, to be honest to me, your bill doesn't seem that ridiculous.

If your 3 PC's cost 10cent/hour (for example) to have on, and are on for 8hours each per day.
    That's overall 24 hours usage/day @ 10cent = €2.40 per day over 60 days = €150.

The cooker on for 1 hour per day - could be €1/hour depending on how many rings/ovens/grills in use, again over 60 days is another €60.

That's 1/2 your 2-monthly bill.
    Add in the water heating costs for clothes and dishwashing.

Try ESB's appliance calculator here: http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/appliance_calculator.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

we have a dishwasher
    use the washingmachine about 18 times a week.
    an electric cooker that is in use daily for about an hour
    3 pc's that are used daily
    Are you using the washing machine for full loads? What temperature are you setting the machine too? And the dishwasher, what temperature are you setting it to? What is the energy rating of the appliances?

You say the electric cooker is on for about an hour a day - that seems like a lot. Does that include the oven?

What sort of PC's are we talking about? Do they use LCD monitors or CRT's?
    2 tv's

kettle once a day

coffeemachine about 3 times a day.

big double door fridge and 1 normal fridge that broke down recently , well.. not really broke down, it is still on, the freezer works but the fridge part doesnt become cold enough therefore we leave it on, maybe thats the big mistake?
    What sort of TV's, LCD or CRT?

What sort of coffee machine?

Fridge sounds big - what's the energy rating?

As for the semi-broken fridge, if the fridge never becomes cold enough, that would suggest there is a problem with either the refrigeration circuit or the insulation. Probably the insulation if the freezer is working ok. Either way, this would suggest the motor is running constantly. Motors on fridges were not designed to operate like this - I'm surprised it hasn't burned out yet. Anyway, I'd get rid of this fridge - sounds like it's bleeding electricity. Why do you need two fridges anyway with only four people in the house?

Is there anything else? Electric fan heaters maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I would give the ESB a call and ask them what they think is going on. They might be estimating whats on your meter rather than reading it. In which case they might be over charging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Jebus that seems high.
    on between 8am-5pm on weekdays.
    Electric shower on every morning/evening.

5pm-whenever theres lights and cooker on, kettle boiled a
    few times, tv and pc on. Radio the odd time

Bills averaging at €80 for 2 months.

Same for me, Also use tumble dryer.
    Can't believe how high other peoples bills are, scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just used that esb calaculator and while its a bit dodgy - no differentiation for sink/bath on the emmersion heater - its handy and it confirms my recent bills near enough. My PC may be the biggest use of power! :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

mike65 wrote: »
    My PC may be the biggest use of power! :eek:

Get a laptop!

OP (and others), is there nowhere indoors you could hang clothes rather than use a tumble drier? Even hang them overnight and then finish the drying in the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anything that involves heating water can cost a lot of money to run - hence dishwashers, immersions, electric showers and washing machines.

Personally, and this is without even doing any calculations, I think you could make immediate corrections with the 3 PCs, the washing machine and the dishwasher. If 2 of the 3 adults are working, then the PCs should only be on in the evenings. Wash dishes by hand where possible. Only use the dishwasher on eco-cycle when full. I wash all my clothes at 30 degrees on a reduced-time cycle. With good detergents you don't need to go above 40 degs.

I share a washing machine with other flats and one uses 90 deg washes with reduced spin, then tumble dries the clothes. because of the reduced spin, the clothes are fairly wet coming out which he then uses the tumble drier to remove. What a waste of money.

Advertisement