Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun sports/hobbies Galway

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:45pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭

Can anyone think of a good social sport or hobby to take up in Galway (for girls). Nothing dangerous, or mucky or strenuous. Just a bit of craic. No tag-rugby or water sports. All genuine suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Dancing,im sure there are plenty of different types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nothing dangerous, or mucky or strenuous.
    hmmm, that kind of rules out a lot. i was going to recommend a book club, but i dunno, maybe the potential to get a paper cut might mean it's a bit too dangerous for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I was going to say yoga, but that is strenuous (ditto dancing, walking and most of my other first thoughts).

Most of these ideas are non-gender specific, but how about:

* Gardening (maybe fails on strenuosity and/or muckiness, but I think there are sometimes courses advertised in e.g. organic horticulture - maybe try Brigit's Garden?)
    * Cookery (e.g. Cobblestone Cafe often does courses)
    * Join a musical ensemble. Usually there are music societies, choirs, early-music groups or someone looking for new members - try the music shops for ads.
    * Amateur dramatics, historical re-enactment or some other form of dressing up? Macnas?
    * Slam poetry
    * Historical / archaeological societies etc. Does NUIG offer any courses for the public?
    * Hippy stuff like making felt, building a yurt, sustainable construction etc (try www.celtnet.org - they are based in Clare, but maybe there's something similar going on in Galway? Then again, may fail on mucky/strenuous)
    * Some kind of new-age flummery, e.g. reiki, herbalism, what you will (try Spirit Centre in Nun's Island?)
    * If you're into capitalism, you could join one of those investment syndicates, but this may fail on grounds of danger (supping with devil)
    * Circus skills (mmm, maybe dangerous and/or strenuous, but maybe a little light card trickery or juggling?)

OK, I'm struggling. Try checking out the local papers and the noticeboard in the library, they might give you some ideas. Ann Summers parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Photography is good fun and can be done anywhere, by anyone*

*unless you're blind

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

meditation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Become a leader with your local Scout or Venture group !
    Check www.renmorescouts.ie
    Plenty of young adults involved. And some not so young !!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

i'd recommend chess but don't wanna throw you in the deep end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Casual sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 blue diver

try some bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You could try the army reserves?

They have a wide variety of corps(I'm in the process of being vetted for the medics) and you get paid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You could try the army reserves?

They have a wide variety of corps(I'm in the process of being vetted for the medics) and you get paid

i'm pretty sure that would qualify as dangerous, mucky AND strenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

Can anyone think of a good social sport or hobby to take up in Galway (for girls). Nothing dangerous, or mucky or strenuous. Just a bit of craic. No tag-rugby or water sports. All genuine suggestions welcome.

Try Softball.

It's a bat and ball game like American baseball. Did you ever play rounders in school? (With a name like that I take it you are Irish). Quite similar to that also. In Ireland it is normally played in one corner of a football pitch.

It is neither strenuous, dangerous, nor mucky. Might get a little wet at times but they usually won't play if it gets too wet to do so.

There is a group of 20-30 or so people from all backgrounds playing softball around Galway. They play one evening a week and sometimes on Saturday afternoons. The season is usually April - October-ish, but I've seen some mails that suggest some of them are still playing regularly. Probably the mild weather.

There is a very good social element to the sport, and a few weekends away also.

More information at http://www.softball.ie.

I believe there is a way on that site to be put in contact with the Galway softball team. If not, and you are interested, PM me an email address and I'll ask someone from the team to contact you.

PaulH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fruitbat

As already mentioned, volunteering is a good a way as any to spend time. It usually doesn't cost you anything, and there are many opportunities so you can get involved with things you already enjoy.

Check out http://www.volunteergalway.ie/
    I get the impression lots of things in the city and around desperately need more people to help out!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Hey there, thanks for all the great suggestions. I've decided to go with a self-defence class for the new year. Just in case any of you think I'm really lazy, I already do hot yoga, so I didn't want anything too physical. Just something social. However I do like the idea of a book-club as well if there is one in the city. I'm ok with papercuts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'd recommend chess but don't wanna throw you in the deep end.

should have recommended swimming !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

i'm pretty sure that would qualify as dangerous, mucky AND strenuous.

Quiet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I heard something about ice skating in Galway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Yup, I've been ice-skating in Leisureland. It was really good, but then I've gone ice-skating a good few times before this occasion. However, some fella did bang into me, fall over, and drag me down. Then he got up, dusted himself off and skated off. Boo to ungentlemanly behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

:DIts probably more awkwardness than rudeness if you ask me. A group of school age lads were brought there before...sliding, falling, banging into everything. One lad (who was awkward on solid ground never mind ice) went out holding on to the railing. A nano-second after letting go he falls in a heap breaking a bone in his leg in 2 places. The moral: show some sympathy for big, clumsy, awkward fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

If any of you have dogs , why not try dog training.
    Enjoy building a bond with your dog , teach them some manners & revel in the delights that your doggie is the smartest doggie in the whole world!:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement