Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ratchet Clicking

Options
  • 27-11-2007 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Heres a question that hopefully people can answer:
    When you apply the handbrake is it best practice to do it silently, or to just pull it up and hear the ratchets clicking loudly? Its an argument with someone people who did their test donkeys years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

It doesn't make a major difference but I'd say press the button, then lift it silently. The only time you should yank it up is when testing the handbrake to check the cable's okay. It should make about four clicks ideally. I think the handbrake wears out faster if you grind the ratchets all the time. All reputable driving instructors will now tell you to press and release the button. It's usually only older drivers who you'll see clicking the ratchets. Personally, I think anything you do that makes a crunching/grinding noise is better avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

verbatim wrote: »
    Heres a question that hopefully people can answer:
    When you apply the handbrake is it best practice to do it silently, or to just pull it up and hear the ratchets clicking loudly? Its an argument with someone people who did their test donkeys years ago.
    It should be applied with the botton pressed - i.e. silently.
    Caychadh wrote: »
    The only time you should yank it up is when testing the handbrake to check the cable's okay
    :confused: The cable can be tested either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I was told by an instructor to pull it up silently, says in the manual not to though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

Thanks for that :)

Advertisement