Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

converting estate to a comerical vicheal?

Options
  • 27-11-2007 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi

does anybody know the requirments for converting an estate car to a commercial vehicle or where i can get them? do i have to pay the vro any extra?
    or any1 know of ways arond it? im bringing an audi estate in from england and dont need the back seats as will use for van + i save on vrt and road tax???

thanks a mill hope yis can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Saw a subaru forester van recently so it must be posible....i think they calcualte the vrt on the weight of a comercial????? so the saving wont be huge like it is in a jeep.
    Please corect me if im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bleedinmassive

i think its only 50euro vrt tax for any comerical? just need to know how to change an estate car into a comerical! any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

i think its only 50euro vrt tax for any comerical? just need to know how to change an estate car into a comerical! any ideas?

VRT on Car based Commercials is 13.33%.

To convert to a commercial you need a full length, flat floor (don't forget you'll need access to the spare wheel), remove all seat belt anchor points and any windows behind the driver (except the back window) need to be fully blacked out. Window tint is not acceptable, a steel (or I think plastic/fibreglass will do now) panel needs to be put in place on the inside of the window and the ability to wind it down has to be disabled.

You'd want to be saving a lot on VRT to go through the above process. Once it's converted you have to take it down to the VRO for them to classify it as a commercial, it will then need weighing and DOE testing before it can be taxed.

thanks man.. how much do the vro charge for the test?

sounds like it might not be worth it so.. gotta add it all up

thanx

sorry i ment how much will they charge to classify it as a commercial ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

sorry i ment how much will they charge to classify it as a commercial ?

I don't think there is a charge as such, think they do it when you go to pay the VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Not sure, if this works - recently brought a rover 220td van down for the north and went out to pay 50 euro VRT commercial rate - and was charged 680 euro - asked why and was told it was a Car Derived Van and was subject to a different rate of duty - still saved 000s - Asked if I could now turn it back into a car and was told I would have to pay more - And don't bother phoning as they tell you one thing and do another. (was told on the phone 50 euro commercial rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

wud a subaru forester qualify for the 50 eur rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

does anyone know where id get details of the requirements to staisfy vro for a commercial conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

IIRC, for the lower rate you need to be able to fit a standard sized pallet behind the front seats and be able to close the back door with it in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

got it done a few years back, aside from the alterations a person from the local authority comes and inspects the vechical, and ensures that the owner is activally involved in a legit buisness

Advertisement