Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are beards coming back?

• 27-11-2007 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I'd like to get the opinion of boards members on this. I was arguing with a friend over whether beards are starting to become acceptable again. Maybe not full on 70's style beards, but short, well trimmed and styled beards. Or even just 'designer' stubble so to speak. Myself, i prefer to have at least stubble, but not neck stubble! It hides my babyface so i think i look better with it. Anyway, opinions please! :D

Are beards acceptable again? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've a beard. i've had one for the past 4 years... i first grew it because it was easier to buy booze underage with it but now i'm just too lazy to cut it. plus I'm so used to having it that i feel cold without it (not to mention look weird).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

I hope not i really don't like them, i especially hate it when my boyfriend has stubble ugh horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I voted no.

Stubble is in, but beards certainly aren't. This is coming from someone who has a beard at the moment btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

beards yes, i am too lazy to shave :D

my ambition is to look like Billy Gibbons in a year or two :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

rossie1977 wrote: »
    beards yes, i am too lazy to shave :D

The question wasn't "Do you have a beard?".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm too lazy to shave, but there are still parts of my cheek where hair doesn't grow.. so it looks pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rb_ie wrote: »
    The question wasn't "Do you have a beard?".

my answer to the question is 'yes' they are coming back ;) thats why i added the comma

here is a question; why are beards seen as a bit wrong but hair on the rest of a man's body is ok :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I do think beards are more in style lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Haven't seen a beard in ages, apart from those loathesome little soul patches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

soul patches are for people who can't grow a beard tbh.

they look bone shatteringly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I hope they're not back, don't really like them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

A bit of stubble can look really good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

A bit of stubble is nice but anything more would be a big no no in my book. And definitely not moustaches!!!!! They should be banned! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It's not about whether they're in fashion or not, it's about whether they suit the particular person and their own style or not. They look ridiculous on some men, whereas others carry them off well.
    I'm a beard/stubble fan. I hate cleanshaven faces, and most of my male friends would have some sort of stubble growth if not full on beards, funnily enough, as do a lot of my male relatives. In fact, I have only seen my husband totally cleanshaven once in my entire life, he's had a goatee since he was a teen, he looked odd and waaaay too young when he shaved, and let it grow back immediately. However, overly designer-y facial growth is a big no-no - those awful pointed and sculpted pencil thin lines of hair. yuk.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    A bit of stubble is nice but anything more would be a big no no in my book. And definitely not moustaches!!!!! They should be banned! :eek:

I take it you wouldn't be too attracted to me then? :D

DSC00285.jpg

Honestly, I can't stand not having a beard, it feels... wrong. And I always felt I looked like a goober without it.

Karl hasn't been clean shaven in years. ;)

Well now Karl I'd have to make an exception for you obviously ;)

Is that a donkey on your head Karl?? Is it?? Is it?? Sick.

On closer inspection it doesn't look like a donkey's face, it looks like some kind of bear...or cat...or owl...

Explain yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

I take it you wouldn't be too attracted to me then? :D

DSC00285.jpg

Honestly, I can't stand not having a beard, it feels... wrong. And I always felt I looked like a goober without it.

Karl hasn't been clean shaven in years. ;)

Karl you look like a guy i know that plays in a thin lizzy and Metallica tribute band.
    Your not him are you?:)

On closer inspection it doesn't look like a donkey's face, it looks like some kind of bear...or cat...or owl...

Explain yourself!

It's a Totoro, from the Japanese animated movie, My Neighbor Totoro:

lucyburn wrote: »
    Karl you look like a guy i know that plays in a thin lizzy and Metallica tribute band.
    Your not him are you?:)

No, don't play in a tribute band.

There's a few Karl dopplegangers going around though. Beware of imitations.

• Advertisement

Aww cuteness :)

Aww cuteness :)

I suppose I am, thanks. :)

I suppose I am, thanks. :)
    That little Totoro has nothing on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A cat bus would be more impressive.

I shaved my beard off this year... got sick of it.

Combined with my new shorter hair cut I'm beginning to look like a respectable member of society at last.

Oooh, looks like the poll is getting closer since I posted the pic of my cuddley self.

I don't have a catbus I'm afraid Monkeyfudge, maybe I'll nab one next time I'm in Japan? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Your Totoro looks fluffier than mine... I have the little blue one with the bag of nuts as well.

Your Totoro looks fluffier than mine... I have the little blue one with the bag of nuts as well.

Have one of those too, and another one about 14" in size. ;)

I really like Totoro. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

I sincerely hope not, my fella would look like grigori rasputin if he had a beard, hes scary enough looking without

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Coming back? Beards never left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

That's what I thought. Though there was a spat around the late 90's where any hair not on your head (chest hair especially) was just a sin. I don't know why people went for that exceptionally boyish look.

A more natural look: short, neat beards and stubbles are definitely more prevalent now thankfully. It's good to see people like Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Evans (of fantastic 4) sporting them almost consistently since reaching adulthood. And tangentially, it's good to see them with their body hair still intact. I'd nearly challenge any girl who says they're revolted by facial or chest hair to google-image those two names and tell me they wouldn't.

I'd agree mostly with what echosound said however, it's how it grows and sits on the person. Some people can even pull off moustaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No, don't play in a tribute band.

There's a few Karl dopplegangers going around though. Beware of imitations.

Shes thinking of Flash (can't remember his real name, lives in Drogheda methinks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

To right!

I've had a beard in one form or another for 12 years now. Everything from the "Grizzley" to the current cutting edge sex fest which resides on my face!

beards.jpg

The B&W on the bottom left was 10 years ago ... when I had hair on my head.

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Some people can even pull off moustaches.

Thats a LIE!! Only Scumbags and members of American Emergency Services have taches!

6th wrote: »
    Thats a LIE!! Only Scumbags and members of American Emergency Services have taches!

No there is one exception, Magnum PI:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Beards never left. Why do people think it's normal to wake up in the morning and go, my god, i have hair on my face i must remove it. what the fu-ck like?

Besides us beardies know, we'd be far too pretty if we shaved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

6th wrote: »
    Tom Selleck and Burt Reynolds might have something to say about that. (Latter picture's a bit rude... click with care)

Though these days, to sport a moustache, you generally need to be a dad first.

No there is one exception, Magnum PI:cool:

Even he has moved on! I saw Jesse Stone: Night Passage the other night (must be made for TV?) and the facial hair really suited him.

hp_main.jpg

It's amazing how the support for beards has rocketed into the lead since there were pictures shown. Fair play 6th btw. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Are beards coming back? Daily, I would say. That's why you shave.
    A Totoro? I thought you were being raped by a giraffe. Damn my presumptions. I'd already rang the ISPCA.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

rb_ie wrote: »
    Stubble is in, but beards certainly aren't.

this is the answer.

think Justin Timberlake, not Justin Lee Collins

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have a goatee, does that count? Haven't shaved it in a year or so, couldn't be without it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I grow my thin 'craig david' beard every few weeks ... doesn't look the worst but the gf hates it with a passion.

http://www.wma.com/craig_david/imgs/Craig_David_main.jpg

More to do with it being itchy when she's hugging/lying beside me ... but looks alright all the same. Not as skangerish as the V-cut.

Advertisement