Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday night football, LOL

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

The holding on the final 4th down was on the intended receiver. It should have been called, but sometimes they're not.
    And the Gaffney TD, while there isn't rock solid proof he had 100% control, it was still good enough to hold up to review, and it was still on a 1st down, it wasn't a last gasp throw. Might have suited the Pats to run a few more plays and burn the clock.
    But apart from that there were no bad calls, it's not really the point.

Here's how I see it.
    If you're gonna go unbeaten, you need to be very good and very lucky. The Pats have been good, and in the last few games they've been lucky - although scoring 27 points on the road is hardly ****ting the bed.
    They've been lucky recently and performed at an extremely high level early in the season - I have to say I was reminded of Roy Keane's biog when he said that some teams were beaten at OT before they came onto the field. The Pats have had a few of those too.
    The Pats had some things go their way on Monday but it could easily have not.
    Every Superbowl winner, even every team that makes the playoffs, catches a break somewhere along the way. Taking advantages of those breaks is what gets them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

Gaffney catch was not OK from all the angles that I saw. He did not have control as we went out of bounds. The rules state that there should not be any doubt of possession. The ball was still moving in his hands - it was very problematic but the call went in their favor - oh I wonder why?

It makes absolutely no difference whether the man calling the slur was African-American or not - as one spokesman for NFL said " a slur is a slur and we must investigate". This was the same guy who blew the whistle on the time out by the way. It smells at best - but watch out the NE going all the way. I have little doubt that it will happen.

And look back at their problems melting away in early season- Bill Belichick has been exposed in the spying/cheating scandal and somehow was taken off the hook. The NFL has only itself to blame for the amount of suspicion that surrounds that team. For God's sake they destroyed all evidence! Now why did they do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Manny7 wrote: »
    First off, there's some debate that assistants can't call timeouts, but they blew for it after Ryan called it, what are they supposed to do? Once the whistles are blown as far as I know that's it, the play is over and there's nothing that can be done but give the timeout.

The rule is that assistants can't call time outs, however there is an exemption where if somebody calls a timeout just before the snap the official can call it because, by the time he looked to see who had called it, the snap may have been taken.

westair wrote: »

It makes absolutely no difference whether the man calling the slur was African-American or not - as one spokesman for NFL said " a slur is a slur and we must investigate". This was the same guy who blew the whistle on the time out by the way.

Well, the player in question had questioned the official's credentials - the guy is an NFL veteran. There's a certain respect that goes with that, particularly among their own. If you've worn the uniform and played the game you're part of a brotherhood, it's something that is acknowledged and (usually) respected.
    If you're suggesting that he used the 'boy' 'slur' to give the Pats the game and not because he had his 'between the lines' status questioned by a loudmouth, you're off your ceann.

The word "boy" was not used once - during a particular play - but about five times during the game according to Rolle. Rolle also said that the guy knows he's a ref and no one can do anything about the position of power he holds during the game. Very often a pattern like this - abusive language - goes unchecked until a moment like this when the whole game is off kilter. Bart Scott also heard the slur and reacted. By the way the ref has only been with the NFL since 2002. Not a long time.

• Advertisement

The word "boy" was not used once - during a particular play - but about five times during the game according to Rolle. Rolle also said that the guy knows he's a ref and no one can do anything about the position of power he holds during the game. Very often a pattern like this - abusive language - goes unchecked until a moment like this when the whole game is off kilter. Bart Scott also heard the slur and reacted. By the way the ref has only been with the NFL since 2002. Not a long time.

Okay, you're kind of babbling.
    Good luck wth that.

Okay, you're kind of babbling.
    Good luck wth that.

Well... if you cant answer with logic and stick to the topic then name calling will do - precisely what the issue is about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Gaffney catch was not OK from all the angles that I saw. He did not have control as we went out of bounds. The rules state that there should not be any doubt of possession. The ball was still moving in his hands - it was very problematic but the call went in their favor - oh I wonder why?

It makes absolutely no difference whether the man calling the slur was African-American or not - as one spokesman for NFL said " a slur is a slur and we must investigate". This was the same guy who blew the whistle on the time out by the way. It smells at best - but watch out the NE going all the way. I have little doubt that it will happen.

And look back at their problems melting away in early season- Bill Belichick has been exposed in the spying/cheating scandal and somehow was taken off the hook. The NFL has only itself to blame for the amount of suspicion that surrounds that team. For God's sake they destroyed all evidence! Now why did they do that?

I keep watching the Gaffney catch and he has two hands on the ball at all times, the ball's not bobbling, to me it looks OK. His fingertips grab the ball, and the point they're touching at doesn't change as he brings the ball in, that's possession.

The "boy" thing is irrelevant in terms of the game, it may of been unprofessional but hardly changed the result.

And how losing a first round draft pick and fines totaling $750k is being let off the hook I'm not sure.

Manny7 wrote: »

The "boy" thing is irrelevant in terms of the game, it may of been unprofessional but hardly changed the result.

And how losing a first round draft pick and fines totaling $750k is being let off the hook I'm not sure.

Not quite irrelevant if you follow the story - He got a penalty for his conduct - so he is claiming that he was harassed during the game as a way of throwing him off.

Belichnik was actually fined $500k and as the Baltimore Sun said at the time
    "The shot to Belichick's wallet is an ouch. It has been estimated he makes over $4 million a year so that's a 12 percent hit. But that's not nearly as severe a hit as what Dallas assistant coach Wade Wilson will suffer (assuming his five-game suspension is unpaid), which will be closer to 30 percent. "
    Wilson was hit for buying human growth hormone after his was finished playing, contending it was for health issues related his diabetes. Hardly an issue of competitive advantage, unless he was supplying players, and that hasn't come up. So if we compare....it really was just an ouch. IMO the guy ought to have been drummed out of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Not quite irrelevant if you follow the story - He got a penalty for his conduct - so he is claiming that he was harassed during the game as a way of throwing him off.

Belichnik was actually fined $500k and as the Baltimore Sun said at the time
    "The shot to Belichick's wallet is an ouch. It has been estimated he makes over $4 million a year so that's a 12 percent hit. But that's not nearly as severe a hit as what Dallas assistant coach Wade Wilson will suffer (assuming his five-game suspension is unpaid), which will be closer to 30 percent. "
    Wilson was hit for buying human growth hormone after his was finished playing, contending it was for health issues related his diabetes. Hardly an issue of competitive advantage, unless he was supplying players, and that hasn't come up. So if we compare....it really was just an ouch. IMO the guy ought to have been drummed out of the league.

Firstly this isnt is a race debate so stop secondly do you honestly believe the Patriots were favoured due to this come on if you believe this you are off your rocker. And Belichick drummed out of the league. Dude now I know you need to take your argument elsewhere. Again as argued many a time on here and every forum what Belichick did the video thing every coach has their own method Belichick got caught and mangini broke the coaches honour code. Dude you are reaching from the depts of your a hole for a pointless argument. Bring what seem to biased facts from Baltimore reading your posts. Give it a rest. And the Catch as a Patriots fan im 50/50 on the catch. The fact he changed the ball from one arm to the other in the air suggests he didnt have full control. but who cares some things go your way some dont. Ravens shot themselves in the foot the end.

• Advertisement

Firstly this isnt is a race debate so stop

Dude on this side of the pond this is absolutely a race issue and is being treated as such. No one is allowed to use this kind of language. Even self haters.

But I don't care my Skins just won tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dude on this side of the pond this is absolutely a race issue and is being treated as such. No one is allowed to use this kind of language. Even self haters.

But I don't care my Skins just won tonight!

I was referring to this thread now in fairness :rolleyes:

Advertisement