Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Ethernet Cable

Options
  • 27-11-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Is there a device for testing an Ethernet cable from patch to point? Save re-punching and wondering if it's the cable or connection and at which end. I would like to test a number of runs with no other variables, just the cable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines but this means there will be 2 patch leads, 4 plugs, a patch panel and a point added to the equation. Was wondering if the 8 bare wires could be plugged in at each end and any fails lit up. This would tell me it's the cable and nothing else. Don't think I'm talking about a probe. Might not be much point to this, I mean if there's no data it's dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi

Can you give a little more detail. What do you mean patch to point. Whats on both ends. And ye there are tons of devices. Let me know this and Ill advise you of the best option.

What happened was this..

A mate who handy enough, but who had never done any networking, wired his 3-storey building - about 40 runs - all under 90m. Now 16 are not working! He's re-punched the connections at the patch panel and also at the network point. This fixed a couple. Now he'd like to test the rest - wire only, nothing else - to see if it's the wire itself and if he needs to run new wire.

So, at the moment there is a network point on one end and a patch panel port on the other end. Every tester I've looked at for him has Ethernet connections to plug into. Does mean if I want eliminate the connections at the patch panel and at the network point and just test the cable, I have to crimp an RJ45 plug on each end and then use the tester? This is no problem if this is how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

So basically you want to test the cable without crimping them??

Only way I can think of is crimp a small cable at one end and the other end wire it to a lego block, Also known as a terminal block. t-blocks.jpg

So basically you have each cable connecting to the terminal block that turns into an rj45!
    Im not explaining this very well!

Then just use this to test each cable with a tester! Saves you crimping each cable.

Dunno if that will work but try it

• Advertisement

That sounds like a very good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I useThis it will tell u in detail which cable is broken and roughly where it is broken and will also show u a wiremap for showing if any pairs are crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hey

40 networks points is not a small network. Its vital that people understand computer networks are not like electrical cable. Its not simply a matter of connecting a few cables and if theres data theres data. Firstly if its 10/100 only 2 pairs are used, but if you wanna run Gigabit at a later date you will need all four pairs. Networks are very sensetive to electrical noise, NEXT, Over stressing the cable, attenuation etc. In other words if I were installing that networks after your friend had pulled the cables, Id punch the wal plates first, then tine test and trace the cables then punch down the patch panel. Its inportant to note that you must have the right cable for the patch panel and you must have the right tool for punching. Certain patch panels and sockets are not compatable with certain tools.

I recently had a site where the client also ran the cable. He chose the wrong grade of cable and all the connection had to be done over and over. Most Network engineers have expensive test equipment to save you time finding faults. If this is a business I think it would be worth getting an engineer to have a look and give you advise. Surely someone would do that free or at least just cover his time getting there. If you would like help on the phone while your on site with him Ill certain offer any help I can. Im not sure where you are but at least I could advise you in some way shape or form, and thats free....

Eoghan

Advertisement