Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.bookswap.ie

Options
  • 27-11-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to delete this if it is breaking any of the Forums rules..

A friend of mine has set up the following site and I told him I spread the word a bit for him.

Site is http://www.bookswap.ie/

Basically you sign up and list the books you own and are willing to swap with another user. The site explains it better than I would so have a look and make you own mind up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

thanks should come in useful
    have already posted it on clipmarks.com
    http://clipmarks.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Just wanted to bump this as it's a great site and the more people who join, the more selection there is for everybody to swap!

I had a whole load of books laying around that I wasn't going to read again, didn't want to throw them away, so swapping them is great way of updating your collection! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

goose06 wrote: »
    Mods feel free to delete this if it is breaking any of the Forums rules..

A friend of mine has set up the following site and I told him I spread the word a bit for him.

Site is http://www.bookswap.ie/

Basically you sign up and list the books you own and are willing to swap with another user. The site explains it better than I would so have a look and make you own mind up.

Ah feck it anyway. I just had the brilliant idea of setting up a book swap website and then I found this. :(

Anyway, seems like a pretty good site although it could do with some more members methinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Bookmooch is the exact same as this only bigger and international.

Denerick wrote: »
    Bookmooch is the exact same as this only bigger and international.

Excellent. Thanks, I'll check it out:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This looks like you have to have a book that the person you want a book off of wants to swap. SO you have to find a pair.

With bookmooch you just get points, which you can spend on any book. It makes a tad more sense methinks.

For example in Bookmooch I am dumping all the books from when I was a kid to get classic books. There is no way I would find many people wanting to give me some classic literature for A series of unfortunate events.

turgon wrote: »
    This looks like you have to have a book that the person you want a book off of wants to swap. SO you have to find a pair.

With bookmooch you just get points, which you can spend on any book. It makes a tad more sense methinks.

For example in Bookmooch I am dumping all the books from when I was a kid to get classic books. There is no way I would find many people wanting to give me some classic literature for A series of unfortunate events.

Yes I just noticed that. Joined bookmooch last night instead and I've 9 books to post already this morning. Thanks for the tip Denerick :)

waraf wrote: »
    Yes I just noticed that. Joined bookmooch last night instead and I've 9 books to post already this morning. Thanks for the tip Denerick :)

You...

I've been a member for about a months, only offloaded 4 books :rolleyes:

Its probably because I'm loath to give away a book I actually like. Most of the books I have listed are books I used to like but am now embaressed to have in my possession (Various John Grisham novels for example :P)

You...

I've been a member for about a months, only offloaded 4 books :rolleyes:

Its probably because I'm loath to give away a book I actually like. Most of the books I have listed are books I used to like but am now embaressed to have in my possession (Various John Grisham novels for example :P)

lol yeah I can imagine it would be hard to get rid of that type of stuff. Most of the books I've managed to have mooched were history/non-fiction (not saying that I don't read trashy fiction every so often)
    I've found in the past, that you can just give them (books that you can't even give away) to your local bookshop. Some will even give you a voucher for the shop if they're nice.

Ive been joined about two weeks and Iv managed to give away 10, mostly abroad so I got a few points racked up. Getting 13 books in return so far, might be one or two more coming. As I said, Im just offloading the books from when I was younger. A bit of Grisham in there as well!

Denerick: Do you have any good books to give away? Edit: Is this you?

• Advertisement

Don't know about Denerick but you can check my books under username waraf on bookswap. Give me a shout if you want any of them

Ive been joined about two weeks and Iv managed to give away 10, mostly abroad so I got a few points racked up. Getting 13 books in return so far, might be one or two more coming. As I said, Im just offloading the books from when I was younger. A bit of Grisham in there as well!

Yeah thats me, how'd you come across me?

And no, I've no good books to give away. As I say, I'm loath to give away books I actually like. I have a big book collection, mainly history books I inherited from my grandfather when he died about 10 years ago which I don't want to give away (Both because they don't really belong to me and I find them useful as a reference every now and then)

Yeah thats me, how'd you come across me?

You know that such a coincidence. I was trawling through the Irish peoples profiles last week and I came across yours, I remember it because of your defense of posting from the UK! Then I came across it today again, at the same time I was reading this thread, and the Denis/Denerick thing seemed to fit, as well as ordering books about Trinity. Christ, I sound like a right stalker here!

Mine is here. As with you Denerick it only books I wouldnt read - theres some Micheal Moore and John Grisham in there etc! Ive a bookshelf of about 60 so far (only started reading about 8 months ago) that wont be going anywhere near BookMooch.

I really like the idea of Bookmooch, but trying to find any "classic" book is a bit hard. I threw penguin classics into it and selected only Ireland and got back hardly anything. Then getting ****e like Ps I Love You is easy. Its all about what popular I suppose.

lol, don't worry about it! There's no point in getting classics off the site though, you can pick up most penguin classics for 2 or 3 euros in Easons or the like. I've picking up a few novels I can't seem to find anywere, like 'Call it Sleep', 'Ironweed' or 'Trinity' (Heard a lot about that book but can't find it anywere, I mustn't be too good at looking through the fiction section in bookshops...)

BTW the Denerick name came about from a friend of mind who was really struggling for a slag when both of us were drunk talking ****e. The best he could come up with was Denerick (Which makes no sense, but it seemed like a good internet name :P)

Yeah some people even use it as a real name. Although I would be wide tbh :D

How did that guy get my picture??

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Looks like an error with the Amazon API. I think they changed it lately, so perhaps the site developers of bookswap.ie haven't caught up yet.

Still an issue as of today - Looks like bookswap.ie is RIP. Anywone knwo any other sites

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irene818

pcomer wrote: »
    Still an issue as of today - Looks like bookswap.ie is RIP. Anywone knwo any other sites

So not fair…I was just thinking of registering today. I have a small collection of books that I was thinking of removing. It would be very useful to swap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

http://www.bookswap.ie/

Seems to be up and running now.

Finally RIP now

Advertisement