Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Question

• 27-11-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Ok, here is a very stupid question...... What do people hunt with shotguns? Not rifles....??

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Birds, Rabbits, Fox. Shotgun has a limited range and can be used where rifles cant. The spread of pellets from a shotgun also makes them suitble for hunting flying targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fishneedbikes

Thanks for that...:)

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

They are also very popular for hunting deer in some areas. In certain jurisdictions in the States it's illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, so everybody uses shotguns. Shotguns are capable of firing solid 'slugs' as well as shot, (pellets) making them more like a rifle. Maybe not too relavent, just so you don't get confused by references to hunting deer with shotguns in Yank media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not so relevant here dime - you're not allowed shoot deer with shotgun and solid slugs here for some strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Birds, Rabbits, Fox. Shotgun has a limited range and can be used where rifles cant. The spread of pellets from a shotgun also makes them suitble for hunting flying targets.

Dont forget rodents, including the tree dwelling variety(greys not reds)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Sparks, couldn't someone licence a shotgun with a rifled barrel as a 'rifle' and legally shoot deer here? Also I'm confused as to why I cannot mention activities that are not legal in Ireland but are legal elsewhere? Is it prohibited by the charter? I've seen plenty of threads here to do with shooting abroad. My post was just making the answer to the question Mick posted a little more comprehensive. You try to contribute a little and what do you get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't know if someone could licence a rifled shotgun dime, or even if you could get one, but I suspect you'd be breaking ground if you did, legally speaking. And there's no problem in saying that that's what people do elsewhere, just so long as you point out that it's not legal here - well, to a point, anyway :D You just didn't want some chappie from the tabloids writing about how boards.ie is encouraging hunting deer with solid slugs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Also a shotgun with a rifled barrel is no longer a shotgun, it's a rifle. Shotguns are smooth bore firearms. Incidentally, a great many black powder muskets etc. are considered shotguns because they are smooth bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dimebag249 wrote: »
    Sparks, couldn't someone licence a shotgun with a rifled barrel as a 'rifle' and legally shoot deer here? Also I'm confused as to why I cannot mention activities that are not legal in Ireland but are legal elsewhere? Is it prohibited by the charter? I've seen plenty of threads here to do with shooting abroad. My post was just making the answer to the question Mick posted a little more comprehensive. You try to contribute a little and what do you get...
    You possibably could register a SG as a rifle, but it would be no use to you to hnt deer in areas where rifles are not allowed. so it doesn't apply to the original point.

As for mentioning things legal elsewhere, its best to make it clear, forgt the tabloids, we don't want some joker thinking certain practices are ok and hunting with all sorts.

But your post did expand on shotguns, so it is still a decent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And let's not forget you can't legally shoot game birds in Ireland with a rifle.
    Pheasant, duck, snipe, etc etc all need to be shot with shotguns.
    In short :
    game : shotgun
    vermin : rifle & shotgun
    deer : rifle , minimum .22-250cal

• Advertisement
Advertisement