Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car: 316 Vs S40 1.8 Vs Passat 1.6Highline

Options
  • 27-11-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Would appreciate any views on the following, I've a choice between a new BMW 316, Volvo S40 Sport, or VW Passat 1.6 Highline for a new car. It'll be a lease so not too concerned about running costs or resale value.

Any recommendations or experience of the above, the 316 in particular? Would really like the BMW but a bit worried the spec and engine are a bit low ...

Cheers,

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You are right to be worried about the engine in the 316. The 316 is only available in Ireland, where the main focus is on gettin a bmw, not an engine that can pull the car along properly. Passat highline is going to have a similar power to weight ratio problem. Having said that, if you test drive the cars, and are happy with the power of the bmw, then go for it. Just don't order it without driving one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat 1.6 FSi is being phased out. It is being replaced by the 1.4 TSi which has 7bhp more than the old 1.6 litre engine and has more torque. In Highline spec you get a generous levels of toys.

The 316i has 122bhp which is ok but to be honest a 1.6 litre engine in a BMW is pointless.

If your doing alot of mileage then the S40 might suit you as the leather seats are very comfortable indeed, way more comfortable than the Passat or 316i. Boot is narrow though if you need it. Might be important factors in your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

We the only country in the world bar turkey to get a 316i, because of the soon to be phased out VRT system. Clearly BMW dfoesn't think much if indeed anything of it if they're the only 2 places you can get one.

If what the Sindo said turns out to be true about VRT, the 316i actually works out to be €300 dearer(see main VRT thread) than the more powerful 318i. The future for the 316i therefore looks very bleak,(why would you pay more for a car thats slower and no more economical?) so avoid at all costs.
    From the VRT thread as posted by me:
    Just so you know, here are the speculated prices come 1/7/08(I say speculated because we don't know for definate how VRT will turn out yet).
    Current 316i ES €38,300
    316i ES from 1/7/08 €35,900(so €2,400 less)
    318i ES from 1/7/08 €35,600(so €2,700 less and €300 less than the VRT adjusted price of the 316i ES)

318d ES from 1/7/08 €37,200(so €1,100 less)

So the 318 diesel will still cost €1,600 more than what we're speculating is the VRT adjusted 318 petrol, but at the same time will still be €1,100 cheaper to buy than a 316i being bought in the morning, however a 318 petrol will be €2,700 cheaper from July than a 316 petrol(before the VRT adjustement).
    For the S40, the flexifueled model is the one to go for here if you get the car before 1/7/08, because its over €4,000 cheaper at the moment than a non flexifuel 1.8(this is meant to change when VRT gets its shakeup next July).The Passat is hardly a byword for quality and reliability by the way(the electric handbrake is said to give trouble, like not releasing when asked to), and bazz has supplied you with all the info you need about that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Avoid the 316 like the plague, completely gutless engine for the weight of car

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All those cars are equally underpowered at around 120BHP. You are aware that the Volvo S40 is based on the Ford Focus - so it is a lot smaller than the other two. But as bazz said, it will come with a lot of goodies

BMWs generally are great cars, but a low-spec, heavy 3-series with a 4 cylinder 1.6l engine would not be my choice of BMW

Are there any other choices? It's a company car so, no worry about resale / reliability. How about an Alfa 159? The base 1.8 is not fast either, but it's a lovely drivers' car and it is quite rare compared to the others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

The 1.6 Highline Passat has a good spec but is completely underpowered. When driving my wifes one it sounds like a helicopter taking off when driving at over 65mph and has huge difficulty overtaking at these speeds. I find it very uncomfortable with very narrow seats - a dealer has told me that a lot of people have said this. The S40 is a much more comfortable car and I have driven the 1.8 and found that from a speed and overtaking point of view it is much better than the passat. Passat has a much bigger boot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

VRT is not the only thing that is governed by engine size. I woudl imagine that the OPs choice is based ona company car class & engine size hence all the mentions of the 1.6L engine. Would that be right OP?

In which case for power none of the above should be chosen. Although if you just want the looks on the driveway then any of them are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Most people aren't looking for a lot of power, thats fair enough. But it has gone a bit too far, as zoemax has posted, they don't have enough power for overtaking. Personally I'd feel a bit stupid if my fancy 07 car was down on power for overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I believe the 316 actually has a 1.9L engine, same type and power as in the last generation 318i so it's really not all that bad. But you'd want a good spec one.

All I can say is test drive each and find out what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I didn't consider the 316 as I'm not a fan of BMWs but I did take a Passat and an S40 for test drives before opting for the S40.

It's exceptionally comfortable and you get a lot in it on the sport spec (mine's an SE spec). As Unkel said, it is based on the Focus, but it comfortably carries 4 and the boot is a decent size (although the size of the bood lid isn't ideal). The upside of the Focus element is that it has very decent handling.

Having had it for 6 months now, I'm glad of my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 PeterMc9

Cheers for the feedback so far.
    I had a look at the S40 flexifuel option, seems like a very good deal, I'd be able to go for the LUX pack on this one. Based on advice I've also booked a test drive for the 316 just to get an idea, due to the limited range and budget I could get a 316ES with cloth/leather or a 3.16SE, so not too many fancy extrs like the S40!

I don't do many miles but for the last few years have been driving various 2L & 2.5L (5/6 year old cars), so should be able to tell straight away if I could put up with the drop to a 1.6L.

S40 Flexifuel is top of the list at the moment. Don't have an Alfa option unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Go for the S40 1.8SE Flex Fuel with the Bi-Xenon Winter Pack. IMHO it's not worth paying the extra to get the LUX package - I think the only thing you'd get for the extra €1000 over the SE specced above is a Power Driver's Seat with Memory.

Elessar wrote: »
    I believe the 316 actually has a 1.9L engine, same type and power as in the last generation 318i so it's really not all that bad. But you'd want a good spec one.

The E90 316i (current model) has a 1.6 litre 122bhp engine.

The last 1.9 litre engine to appear in the 316i was the E46 back in 2001 afaik and it had only 112bhp. From 2002 to 2005 it was a 1.8 litre and had 125bhp afaik.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Go for the S40 1.8SE Flex Fuel with the Bi-Xenon Winter Pack. IMHO it's not worth paying the extra to get the LUX package - I think the only thing you'd get for the extra €1000 over the SE specced above is a Power Driver's Seat with Memory.

His company is paying for it so might as well treat yourself. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    His company is paying for it so might as well treat yourself. :D:D

But he's still going to have to pay BIK on 30% of the extra, for something he'll use once or twice. I'd be dammed if I give this government any more than I really had too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had a 2004 BMW 316i with 1.8 litre engine and now have '07 1.6 litre Passat comfortline. Passat engine is better in every way except not as smooth at high revs. Throttle response was terrible on BMW - was supposed to be fly by wire but was more like fly by rubber band.
    I went for Passat to reduce BIK and to get more space - Lease cost was much the same as BMW. Passat Highline seemed just too expensive for the additional spec, but I wouldn't fault the seats.

I've no experience of the Volvo, but would be concerned about space.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

R.O.R wrote: »
    But he's still going to have to pay BIK on 30% of the extra, for something he'll use once or twice

Good point! There was a recent increase in BIK in the Netherlands. The government expected more incoming money, but instead the company car drivers went for smaller, more basic cars instead. Vote with your wheels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

bazz26 wrote: »
    The E90 316i (current model) has a 1.6 litre 122bhp engine.

The last 1.9 litre engine to appear in the 316i was the E46 back in 2001 afaik and it had only 112bhp.(only 105bhp!) from 2002 to 2005 it was a 1.8 litre and had 125bhp (115bhp) afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It had 116 bhp when it gained Valvetronic in E46 guise.

The current generation(E90) 318i is really the replacement for the E46(previous generation) 316i. And similarly the 318i E46 was replaced by the 320i when the E90 came out. The E46 320i was replaced by a 323i in some markets but curiously, not in this market. The rest of the E90 range however is a continuation(bar the 335s because they're new to the E90 generation), so the E46 330d was replaced by the E90 330d.

Advertisement