Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steep Roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Great link Raam,

Where would Knockmaroon Hill figure in this kind of assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

unionman wrote: »
    Great link Raam,

Where would Knockmaroon Hill figure in this kind of assessment?
    I think I've done that one, didn't find it too bad. Nice and short from what I remember.
    http://wikimapia.org/59623/

Edit: I might be thinking of somewhere else nearby. I'll have to check it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Thats the one, fairly steep but a short distance aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Patricks Hill in Cork has to be one of steepest

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Patricks Hill in Cork has to be one of steepest
    I think its only 1:5 = 20%, the next one over I think Matthews Hill is steeper, but shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Victor wrote: »
    I think its only 1:5 = 20%, the next one over I think Matthews Hill is steeper, but shorter.

Would that be the average gradient, because I'm sure it's steeper towards the top?

I don't think Knockmaroon Hill is any worse than 20% max. What about the Devil's Glen? That one is sheer evil. It goes on a bit, and just when you think you're nearly at the top you go around a bend and it gets steeper still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Devil's Glen in 12.0%. You can calculate these using www.bikeroutetoaster.com and marking out a route that is the meatiest part on the hill.

Devil's Glen is a tough one. I've found the road to the right of the church in Howth Village to be fairly steep. It's short thought, so it isn't the worst around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm pretty sure Stepaside Lane (directly from Stepaside Village up towards Ballemonduff Road) is well over 20% at the steep bits (my altimeter certainly thinks so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

none of them compare to the service road to the top of mt leinter, monster hill.

• Advertisement

There's some road near the Sally Gap that goes up to a TV aerial. I've seen it but never gone up it. Has anyone attempted it? One chap said it's the highest road in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Before the Rathnew by-pass, if you went through the village heading south, turn right at the junction and after about 200m turn left under the railway ... up that hill is fierce!

Advertisement