Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Small Animal as Pet

Options
  • 27-11-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Were considering getting a small animal as a house pet for a family.

What would be the best small animal to get, rabbit, gerbile, guinea pig, hamster?

I'm more experienced with dogs than small animals, my preference is a gerble or a hamster as they are move lively and would be amusing to watch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Gerbils are the best!!! You can keep them in same-sex pairs (or trios if you have boys), they are very active and don't smell. Hamsters aren't as good, they aren't as active and unless you have the dwarf kind you can only keep 1 as they will kill each other.

One thing I'll say about gerbils (or hamsters) is that the best home for them is a glass tank. About 2 feet long would be fine for a pair. They can dig as much as they like, you won't have shavings all over the floor, they will never chew through glass, and it lasts forever. A cheap second hand tank (doesn't matter if it has a crack or leak as long as there's no holes) is perfect. The problem with your regular wire cage is that the gerbils (or hamsters) will chew on the bars (makes their nose raw and is REALLY noisy), also the shavings will be kicked out onto your floor. Plus rodents can and will chew their way out of the plastic base. As cool as they look, stay away from the plastic tubes you can get, gerbils/hamsters will use them as a toilet and the plastic absorbs the smell of the wee. Once the wee is in the plastic there is no way to get it out. It stinks! Plus the plastic can be chewed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MJacobs

GERBILS

No contest

Don't read anything else

Get a pair of same sex (prob male) gerbils

they have some in Quarry Rd, Cabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

My gerbil is about to have babies soon if you want any, free to GOOD home (won't be ready until next January tho)!
    They're great pets, really entertaining, all go during the day, low odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Hamsters can be vicious, gerbils are timid, rabbits can sometimes be aggressive and have a powerful kick.

Guinea pigs are your best bet, I prefer them to rabbits and they are much more vocal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

tortoise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Cornsnake, bearded dragon,also very good small
    pets,tame,pretty easy to keep.

Advertisement