Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda cars. If you were in charge!

Options
  • 27-11-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Taking everything in to account (ferraris are too pricey and smart cars are not good in a chase) What would you choose for our men and women in blue?

The budget per car is 34K Per car. What would be good for all round use, traffic, catching bad people, carting bad people around?

I reckon the Golf GTI. I presume you get a deal if you are buying a load of them. They would probably need bigger tyres.

Speedy, roomy, can be converted to carry dogs, good value and already come in white.

Can we not let this turn in to a row?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

First and foremost, Teach Gardaí how to drive properly, obey the rules of the road and set a good example. Then worry about their cars. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Go second hand and buy some decent cars!

For 34 k, you could buy great stuff. Big Honda Accords with 2.2 CTDI engines for the town units, Opel Vectra V6s/ Mondeo 3.0 V6s/ Mazda 6 2.3 MPS etc for the Traffic Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

rossious wrote: »
    First and foremost, Teach Gardaí how to drive properly, obey the rules of the road and set a good example. Then worry about their cars. :rolleyes:

Right.... Any views on what cars you would choose?

maoleary wrote: »
    Go second hand and buy some decent cars!

Good point, is it doable, a whole fleet of second hand cars?

How much are Suburu Forresters? I see the Gards in Clontarf have one, good fast car, able for a bit of rough as well.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Good point, is it doable, a whole fleet of second hand cars?

Yes, hire mechanics and create Regional/Divisional garages for the fleet. No extravagant labour costs and no middlemen for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

How about, mmm. Ford Mondeos?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No,

The admin involved would be far too great and the would get a better deal buying a fleet in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

mazda 6 mps

Octavia VRS

Saab turbos

Dont know if these are within the 34k price range but they would tick all the boxes.

The only problem with that is it would make the cars less desirable to the general public. Consider the popularity of the MkV GTI , i reckon it would plummet if every second or third garda veh-ikle was a GTI.

Buying second hand would be very good. (330d beemers would be ideal :D )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saw one of these with GARDA clearly labbled down the side going onto the Holyhead ferry last week. Identical unmarked car parked right behind it in the queue.

Staffs%20DX54BVR%20small.jpg

They seem popular in the UK (T5 engine and all that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The budget per car is 34K Per car

Why such a low budget? To fill one garda car with two gardai 24/7 would have an annual wages bill of nearly a million

Double that budget and take into account garda cars are not liable to VRT or VAT (so double it again to compare to private cars) and you're in M5 territory!

I can already hear the scrotes sh!ttin' themselves at the thought of that :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A01106.jpg

Catch me now copper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

unkel wrote: »
    Why such a low budget? To fill one garda car with two gardai 24/7 would have an annual wages bill of nearly a million

Double that budget and take into account garda cars are not liable to VRT or VAT (so double it again to compare to private cars) and you're in M5 territory!

I can already hear the scrotes sh!ttin' themselves at the thought of that :D

by that reckoning each garda would be making circa 110'000 euro a year.
    i think i chose the wrong profession!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The new Subaru diesel (when it finally comes out) implanted in a Legacy estate. Safe, fast, spacious, frugal.

Alternatively Skoda Octavia TDi estates, the 4x4 version.

(4x4 not for offroading, but for safe progress on the ****ty roads we enjoy here)

And the money saved by NOT buying and maintaining BMW M5's could go towards a new heli or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Why not second hand Chrysler 300's? Assuming 34K will buy a second hand one - whatever about the car itself, they do look big, intimidating - the dog's boll*x in other words. A lot of it is about "attitude" - would you take a cop seriously in a fiat seicento or a 300!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lancer. Modify it to have a strengthened steel snow plough on the front, gull-wing doors for the driver and passenger and a steel cage in the boot for particularly aggressive arrestees.

The newer Garda cars apparently are coming with cameras and inbuilt reg plate detection. Only about ten years behind, but it's about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

peasant wrote: »
    The new Subaru diesel (when it finally comes out) implanted in a Legacy estate. Safe, fast, spacious, frugal.

It's been out a short while, but only in 1,5L guise for the time being and only on Imprezas.

Second the Soob choice: 4x4, yet saloon/estate-sized and bomb-proof (no pun intended). Imprezas for cities, Forresters for motorway/more rural areas.

When the French Gendarmerie, for the first time in absolute decades, starts joining the UK/NZ/etc. fray and buys WRX (not a French car :eek: Sacrilege, I tell ya!) as intercepts, you know you're onto a good thing, as it's gotta have been cost/benefit -analysed to within an inch of its life, for the decision to buy Jap to have been taken :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

seamus wrote: »
    The newer Garda cars apparently are coming with cameras and inbuilt reg plate detection. Only about ten years behind, but it's about time.

Not looking forward to the Irish version of Road Wars.

'Here we see Sergeant O'Toole about to arrest Mikey for parking his Ford Fiesta on the double yella lines.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Do the Gardai have to pay VRT, being a Government vehicle...?

Skoda VRS estate for motorway patrol, to go with their BMW's/Saabs/Subaru's.

TBH I think whoever's in charge of buying the cars for the Gardai is doing a pretty good job. Mondeo/Focus are grand for around town, and are nice and easy to spot.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Why such a low budget?

I just came up with it off the top of my head. I thought it was more than they pay for the mondeos. Its only a bit of a mess....

And the money saved by NOT buying and maintaining BMW M5's could go towards a new heli or two.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My point is there is very little money to be saved (compared to the wage bill) by not buying M5s

Perhaps we should put it to the GRA: if you skip one round of benchmarking, you can all drive M5s for the rest of your careers. What say you? :D
    ambro25 wrote: »
    Imprezas for cities, Forresters for motorway/more rural areas.

When the French Gendarmerie, for the first time in absolute decades, starts joining the UK/NZ/etc. fray and buys WRX (not a French car :eek: Sacrilege, I tell ya!) as intercepts, you know you're onto a good thing, as it's gotta have been cost/benefit -analysed to within an inch of its life, for the decision to buy Jap to have been taken :)

That is impressive alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

600 (or so) rear wheel driven horses on mucky boreens ?

I can just see it now ...a write off a day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

who says the budget is around 30k.I seen a undercover guard in a gs300 lexus today and it had the lights changed in the front and back and had a light on the dash board.When i seen the car i smiled and pointed it out to my friend and the guard saw me pointing and just smiled back at me.I seen it near harolds cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

US_Federal_Protective_Service_Vehicle.jpeg
    Their huge and last forever, been in taxi's with half a millon miles up and still going strong. I'm sure the goverment can get them cheap and since the Gardai can't drive anyway LHD won't make any difference.

drdre wrote: »
    who says the budget is around 30k.I seen a

Nobody, I just thought 34K per car would be a nice number if all the cars were to be the same...

Del2005 wrote: »
    Their huge and last forever, been in taxi's with half a millon miles up and still going strong. I'm sure the goverment can get them cheap and since the Gardai can't drive anyway LHD won't make any difference.

Except they drive like sofas on wheels and break down more often than an alfa running on orange juice. Not to mention the fuel costs.

Del2005 wrote: »

Can they go around corners? Tight European corners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Nobody, I just thought 34K per car would be a nice number if all the cars were to be the same...
    Ah ok.

Advertisement