Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda cars. If you were in charge!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

maoleary wrote: »
    break down more often than an alfa running on orange juice

:D:D HAHA good one

Think i'll use that one myself from now one !!*

* (i may also pass it off as my own gag)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

C_Breeze wrote: »
    * (i may also pass it off as my own gag)

ah crap. Ah........(c) Maoleary's Brilliant Idea #0000001. All Rights Reserved.

HA HA HA its all mine again!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

seamus wrote: »

The newer Garda cars apparently are coming with cameras and inbuilt reg plate detection. Only about ten years behind, but it's about time.

yeh, they are actualy, and run locks on them and the headlights are premently on when the engine is, the camera footage can be kinda cool, only watched it the other day and hapened to be in one of the cars with it (beemer 3series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'd go for a Crown Vic too.
    break down more often than an alfa running on orange juice.

Incorrect. They are actually very relaible cars (big underpowered V8). When the police forces in America are done with them, many are then bought up as taxi's. I've seen many Crown Vics go over 250,000 miles with little to no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mvpr wrote: »
    Do the Gardai have to pay VRT, being a Government vehicle...?

Yes and no, basically they pay the VRT to themselves :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

For 34 k, you could buy great stuff. Big Honda Accords with 2.2 CTDI engines for the town units, Opel Vectra V6s/ Mondeo 3.0 V6s/ Mazda 6 2.3 MPS etc for the Traffic Corps.

Totall agree here, esp with the accord since i got one ;) Monedo V6 would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

lightening wrote: »
    The budget per car is 34K Per car. What would be good for all round use, traffic, catching bad people, carting bad people around?
    The auld Mondeo is a reliable enough bus for them.

A friend of a friend told me that BMW were over in the park last week demoing some of their heavily modified marked 3Ms currently in use with the German version of the ERU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know for a fact that the guards have some octavia vrs's but there unmarked..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

their actually bringing in the new mondeos as well in the 1.6 version, most of the fleet now have had now run lock for a while very handy.

The volvo t5 is been brought in as well, an unmarked version will be used for a new rapid response unit been set up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would this be over budget?
    1973_ford_falcon_coupe_xb_gt_interceptor.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

kbannon wrote: »
    Would this be over budget?
    1973_ford_falcon_coupe_xb_gt_interceptor.jpg

mad max???

Yup!
    1973 Ford XB GT Falcon Hardtop (XB GT Falcon Coupe)
    Build your own...

What is RUN LOCK anyway? I've seen it on some of the new machines coming down from Dublin to replace the older patrol cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

RUN LOCK

Allows engine to keep running, even if you remove the key from the ignition. so you can lock the car and keep the lights going without running down the battery.

The Car will cut out if you take the handbrake off or put it in gear, theis prevents it from being driven without the key.

pa990 wrote: »
    RUN LOCK

Allows engine to keep running, even if you remove the key from the ignition. so you can lock the car and keep the lights going without running down the battery.

The Car will cut out if you take the handbrake off or put it in gear, theis prevents it from being driven without the key.

yes as above its handy if u have to leave the car a distance away and need the lights on. The run lock button is usually on the 999 dials just press it and take the key out. The gougers cant "wob" it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Definetly not a secondhand...imagine what the general public would say??
    also, i dont think speed is the key here, there are many other factors to take into acount first.

Not a golf gti ...suspension to low. vw's questionable reliabilty
    not a VRS for same reasons as golf
    Mondeo v6??...Would a Tdci not make more sense?
    saabs, bm's ect would be a waste of tax payers money (huge premium just for a badge and image that the cops dont need)

in my opinion a Subaru Forester....its fast enough, automatic, very reliable, high suspension, good visibilty, big boot, chunky tyres, good image, good resale.

BTW Ive seen a 07 "beige" BMW pulling cars on the N11 around the gorey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

329624583a6155910032l.jpg

Ford Falcon XR6

4.0 V6 Turbo

Spotted in Sydney, NSW last year. Traffic Police have the V8 version. XR8 is the spec I think.

unkel wrote: »
    What benefit are soft tops to the police?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote: »
    What benefit are soft tops to the police?

I presume visibility?

BTW the Porsches have been around as Dutch police cars (motorway patrol) since 1960 (356C first, later replaced with several different generations of the 911 Targa) but were phased out and replaced with M3s and other cars in more recent years.

In case it wasn't obvious, the Spyker was a publicity stunt. Like the Italian polizia with their Lamborghini Gallardo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    in my opinion a Subaru Forester....its fast enough, automatic, very reliable, high suspension, good visibilty, big boot, chunky tyres, good image, good resale.

I think the Suburu would be the one. Do they actually sell off Garda cars when they are finished with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Do they actually sell off Garda cars when they are finished with them?
    Yup. They regularly come up for sale at auction. They sell for buttons because they've done stratospheric mileage, have holes all over the dash and the roof and the wiring loom has been cut to bits for the extra lights.

Mr.Boots wrote: »

BTW Ive seen a 07 "beige" BMW pulling cars on the N11 around the gorey area.

Subaru forresters are allready in use by the gardai. Traffic Corps drive them. 2.0l turbo petrol. very fast on the straight but not good on the cornering at speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It has to be a Subaru Impreza Sti turbo, I have one at the moment and it's the nearest thing to motorbike as regards acceleration and sticks to the road like it's on rails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I think the Suburu would be the one. Do they actually sell off Garda cars when they are finished with them?
    They auction them off.But usually they are in bits and not worth it.

junkyard wrote: »
    It has to be a Subaru Impreza Sti turbo, I have one at the moment and it's the nearest thing to motorbike as regards acceleration and sticks to the road like it's on rails.

Am they are defo forresters, where the ins and nct on the vehicle?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

yayamark wrote: »
    Am they are defo forresters, where the ins and nct on the vehicle?;)
    I use trade plates.;)

junkyard wrote: »
    I use trade plates.;)

ok ona serious note do u need an nct when u use trade plates? Wouldnt the car need to be certified roadworthy to be on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I dont think the Guards need (or could handle) STi's.....having owned a version 8 for a year or so, i know its merits and faults.....on the subject of STi's...how about the Guards in Forester STi's.....Thought about bringing one from Japan a few years ago after seing them there but then remembered how hard it was to sell my Impreza STi and decided against it.

I know a guy who bought a blue ex Garda Ford Orion years ago at an auction...it went well....but.....almost every time he went out to where his familey lived( a part of Dublin that was very rough at the time) the car would get vandalised or bottles thrown at it ,and on one ocasion ramed by a stolen car!!! The scumbag joyriders thought it was a unmarked Garda car.

Advertisement