Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Cork on New Year's Eve

Options
  • 27-11-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    I have friends coming from all over for a night out on New Year's, and I'm hoping to take them to a live music gig. I have trawled the net for what's on, and so far I have found out that Fred are playing Cyprus Avenue, and some crowd called the Lynch Mob are playing the Half Moon. Nothing else. Can anybody help me out? Last year I went to see the Frames in Vicar St in Dublin, and am looking for a similar night's entertainment.

Thanks,
    Corkoniense

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all,
    I have friends coming from all over for a night out on New Year's, and I'm hoping to take them to a live music gig. I have trawled the net for what's on, and so far I have found out that Fred are playing Cyprus Avenue, and some crowd called the Lynch Mob are playing the Half Moon. Nothing else. Can anybody help me out? Last year I went to see the Frames in Vicar St in Dublin, and am looking for a similar night's entertainment.

Thanks,
    Corkoniense

Try a different country, Cork sucks for New Years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Ara Fred are great! The Lynch Mob can be found in the LV or Henchys, or many other venues throughout town most weeks. They play covers, but are very good. Bluesy stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1. Stay in, because new year's celebrations suck the sweat off a dead man's balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

generally I'd agree with dahamsta above.. Have gotten out of Cork and went to the wilds of Kerry for the last few years though and it's been great.

Renting houses with mates is the only way to spend new years, as long as they don't want to go to the pub or a club on the night. Stay in, play games, get locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 corkoniense

much as i'd like to suck said sweat off said dead man's balls, I'm afraid one of the group has already booked dinner in Il Padrino at 7.30 (reviews anyone?), so I'll be eating live Italian instead. Normally I wouldn't go near the city centre on new year's, but circumstances dictate otherwise this year and I have NO CHOICE but to go along with it.

So, lynch mob, fred, anything else????

Il Padrino is nice, but cramped. Can't imagine what it'll be like on New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Fred are fantastic, saw them live in the Spiegel Tent last year, go to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Fred and Lynch Mob both really good. So either way you'll enjoy yourself at these gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I recommend you get so wasted that you don't remember it,

New Years in Cork City, is akin to getting Herpes from a Mahon bjore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nakedlykeenthen

However hopefully new years in time square will amazing!! I'll let ye know!! :)

I'd go with Fred...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

things to do in cork on new years ??

queue for hours for a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Corkoniense
    John Spillane is playing the Everyman Theatre on the 22nd Dec. He is a great live performer and a bit of an enigma. I would dare to say that you and your friends will be blown away by his performance.

The man is an individual, once you see him live, if you like music then ye will appreciate John. I am a total heathen but I was dragged into one of his shows by a friend and have never looked back. If your looking for something totally different and kind of cultural, then john spillane is your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

John Spillane is playing the Everyman Theatre on the 22nd Dec. He is a great live performer and a bit of an enigma. I would dare to say that you and your friends will be blown away by his performance.

The man is an individual, once you see him live, if you like music then ye will appreciate John. I am a total heathen but I was dragged into one of his shows by a friend and have never looked back. If your looking for something totally different and kind of cultural, then john spillane is your man.

John Spillane is a bit of a hero, I've seen him on the bus many a time heading into town for gigs and stuff... He played in my school once too, when i was in like 5th year, which was cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eeeimear

Elk and I'll Eat Your Face anyone? On in the Quad. Perhaps not exactly in the same musical category as The Frames, but it's certainly an alternative... You're bound to have a laugh if nothing else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Judge Jules is playing the savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkoniense

Thanks for the tips and advice folks. booked to go to il padrino, then on to see the lynch mob. won't be around for john spillane, but i'll see the legend himself some day no doubt!
    and yeah i'd prefer to be in NY this new year's too, but this beggar cannot be a chooser:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

dahamsta wrote: »
    1. Stay in, because new year's celebrations suck the sweat off a dead man's balls.

ok hands up those of u who suck the sweat off of anyones balls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 angelbabyk

all_smilz wrote: »
    ok hands up those of u who suck the sweat off of anyones balls?

That is absolutely disgusting!!!

angelbabyk wrote: »
    That is absolutely disgusting!!!

i was quoting someone else....

• Advertisement

all_smilz wrote: »
    i was quoting someone else....
    `
    Oh i know, It just sounds terrible.. Didnt mean for you to think i was getting at you about it.. Sorry if it came across that way!!

Heh, I finally offended someone with that line, albeit by proxy. :)

dahamsta wrote: »
    Heh, I finally offended someone with that line, albeit by proxy. :)

It is quiet offensive but i suppose if it's what you like someone to do for you then my opinion on it doesnt really matter..

well i DO think it was funny.... kind of the thing i'd say myself anyway angel.... but it was nice for u to be apologetic.... some peeps wud b more highly horsed than u....
    oh i think i need a lie down...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My Dad had a great one the other day. I would've laughed if I didn't despise the fool. "Right now I'd eat the tits off a beggar woman"

Advertisement