Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems setting up home network.

Options
  • 27-11-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Any help on this would be great. I'm a complete noob at networking and I'm having terrible trouble setting up my home network. Details are:
    I have a desktop PC using Xp SP2 and a laptop using Vista.
    I'm using Eircom BB.
    I have a Netopia Cayman Router which connects to my desktop via USB.
    I have a D-Link wireless router that connects to my Netopia via LAN.
    I also have a LAN cable going from my D-Link to my network card on my Desktop. - I know this is unnecessary but I find it helps keep my torrents running good. (Port-forwarding on the D-Link is a world of pain)
    I have set up a workgroup on both machines. ( the same one)
    The laptop can see the desktop but cannot connect - I'm getting an error saying I don't have security rights and to contact my system administrator. I'm the system administrator and I don't know what I'm talking about!!
    It's the same with the desktop. It can see the laptop on the workgroup but i cannot connect to it!
    I do remember however a couple of months back, that my desktop asked me to put in the administrators password in after I wanted to connect to a workgroup i set up. I left the password blank as I didn't want to set up one then and there. Is this a problem?
    I have used 'Network magic' in the past and found that it worked great. So getting one PC to talk to the other is possible, but I can't seem to do it.
    Grrrrrr.

Any help would be great
    Thanks

Advertisement