Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great advert for XBox360 reliability.

• 27-11-2007 2:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was out in Harvey Normans Limerick the other day when I noticed that their XBox360 demo unit was showing off the red ring of death. Went into Smiths about 30 mins later to find...yep...their demo unit was also flashing red :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Someone may have swapped their broken one for the working demo models :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

was it the three lights or all four

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just the 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just the 3 :)

They are all in those damn domes. They keep in a lot of heat and most of the 360s problems are down to heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Getting a 360 pro for xmas

Am i safe if i keep it cool, all problems seem 2 b simple overheating...mainly due to running games on HD???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tbh id put most people having overheating issues down to the owners being idiots who have the box or psu sitting on carpet or some non ventilated area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

humanji wrote: »
    Someone may have swapped their broken one for the working demo models :D

Are you speaking from experience?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

armour87 wrote: »
    Am i safe if i keep it cool, all problems seem 2 b simple overheating...mainly due to running games on HD???

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Do you think that ALL these problems with 360s might go away if people just invest(not buy) a cooling fan for 30 euro???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Those cooling fans just draw power from the 360 meaning that the 360 is working harder and then overheating more.
    See here http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/27/nyko-intercooler-scorches-xbox-360-consoles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Point taken,i'll use that cash on a game instead
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Helix wrote: »
    tbh id put most people having overheating issues down to the owners being idiots who have the box or psu sitting on carpet or some non ventilated area

I'd agree I know mine works and I got it 1st day it was out. Just keep it ventilated and it should be fine.

Based on?

I've no doubt that some failures are as a result of people seriously inhibiting the airflow in and out of the console.

But you've no idea what are the main causes. And to label most people who experience failures as 'idiots' says more about you than anything else.

A fair few experienced knowledgeable gamers on here have had multiple bricked consoles. My 360 didn't get much use (and certainly not in sustained sessions), sat horizontal in a well ventilated cool corner, and it bricked.

Are we idiots because we have the temerity to not have the luck you have in having a console that doesn't have soviet era build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I've seen a broken one on display everytime I go into Gamestop on Henry St.

quad_red wrote: »
    Based on?

I've no doubt that some failures are as a result of people seriously inhibiting the airflow in and out of the console.

But you've no idea what are the main causes. And to label most people who experience failures as 'idiots' says more about you than anything else.

A fair few experienced knowledgeable gamers on here have had multiple bricked consoles. My 360 didn't get much use (and certainly not in sustained sessions), sat horizontal in a well ventilated cool corner, and it bricked.

Are we idiots because we have the temerity to not have the luck you have in having a console that doesn't have soviet era build quality?

based on forums only, coz i dont actually know anyone in real life whos 360 died

as a rule ive found if you ask people how their 360 was set up prior to bricking, more often than not it was horizontal on carpet, or in a cabinet with their skybox, dvd player etc, or vertical with the psu on carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

My 360 didn't get much use (and certainly not in sustained sessions), sat horizontal in a well ventilated cool corner, and it bricked.

You seem to have omitted that part where you took it for a road trip without buckling up :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Please god....

Let my 360 live this Xmas :(

I'l be good, honest.

You seem to have omitted that part where you took it for a road trip without buckling up :p.

Well yes - I'd forgotten that moving it invalidated the warranty (why did I have to drive over those speed bumps at 100 miles per hour!??!?! ;) )
    Helix wrote:
    based on forums only, coz i dont actually know anyone in real life whos 360 died

Ah, so it's the 'idiots' on here that you speak of.
    Helix wrote:
    as a rule ive found if you ask people how their 360 was set up prior to bricking, more often than not it was horizontal on carpet, or in a cabinet with their skybox, dvd player etc, or vertical with the psu on carpet

Y'know, I realise that people who've had a bad experience are going to be more vocal.

And there are allot of people who've had a perfectly normal experience.

But to blame and insult people for suffering bricked consoles because of serious design and build faults that the manufacturer has admitted to seems churlish verging on ridiculous.

I didn't have my console sitting on my seventies style shag carpet with my george foreman grill on top of it. I seriously doubt 99% of failures had either. And despite saying you didn't know anyone who had experienced failures you resolutely tell us that 'as a rule' you've found that the idiots who have experienced failures had the console

A) Horizontal on a carpet

or

B) In a cabinet with their other electronics.

Now, in regards to A) - we've all been told that standing the consoles vertical makes crap of the disk drive and increases the chance of failure. So if you've carpets in your home, then it's hardly out of this world ridiculous that the console might end up sitting on a carpet.

And in regards to B - the whole marketing jazz behind the 360 puts it at the centre of your multimedia hub (or whatever). That it should be expected to function in such an environment, in close proximity to sky boxes (SHOCK!) isn't asking that it double as a surfboard/ironing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

have had my console horizontol on my pc desk since last christmas.

psu block thingy is on the floor covered by wires, xbox however has some room.

But my rrom is a sweat box with the amount of pcs, computers and **** running.

Suprised it hasnt bricked.

W
    in regards to A) - we've all been told that standing the consoles vertical makes crap of the disk drive and increases the chance of failure

only if you move it with a disk in it while its running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

for anyone buying a new 360 make sure its the falcon model.. look on the box and it should indicate on the back a power rating of 175w.. from reading loadsa forums they run alot cooler than current models!!!

only if you move it with a disk in it while its running

I've definitely read articles online that recommended never having the console vertically. They said the drive was never designed to run at that angle and it increases the chances of disk scratching (as you mentioned) and drive failure.

And, come to think of it, the dude in the xbox centre said it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I'm on my third and I've always kept it in the open with the brick off the ground. It's a very shoddily made piece of hardware, it's a fact.

I've definitely read articles online that recommended never having the console vertically. They said the drive was never designed to run at that angle and it increases the chances of disk scratching (as you mentioned) and drive failure.

And, come to think of it, the dude in the xbox centre said it as well.

well 3 vertical consoles for me without a drive failure/disc scratch so far

Advertisement