Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Are any of the local council , town hall officials up for this new arcade. Where is the demonstrations outside the town hall to show that it is not wanted in kilkenny. Everyone stand back and do nothing. Its kilkenny a small town unlike dublin surely the people against this vicar street road could surround the town hall at the next meeting of the members who are up for this new road and show that the people of kilkenny are against both of these. Out out out,...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I do think it is time we organised ourselves, it's fine saying this and that on boards but are we coming to the time for more positive action.
    You say about loughboy, well I was in Callan this morning and got 6 rolls, small ones and popped them in the plastic bag, got to the check out and oh boy the bag split rolls all over the conveyor, without waiting the operator got hold of my precious rolls and sort of moved them on, fine, no gloves, just been handling coinage, are my rolls germ free or does it add to the taste, what else did those hands touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

You say about loughboy, well I was in Callan this morning and got 6 rolls, small ones and popped them in the plastic bag, got to the check out and oh boy the bag split rolls all over the conveyor, without waiting the operator got hold of my precious rolls and sort of moved them on, fine, no gloves, just been handling coinage, are my rolls germ free or does it add to the taste, what else did those hands touch?

FFS, you are a dose

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Autosport wrote: »
    What I don't like sbout MacDonagh is the price of the underground car park €2 for 3 hours is great but when you only spend 20 mins and still have to pay €2 its ridiculous. Most places have an upto 1 hour price so that my main reason for not going there.

I was there for just short of an hour today and the ticket was free. Now I did get a bit knocked off my shopping list for being in Dunnes but don't think a scribble of a pen caused that. Last time I was there had the same issue as yourself, €2 after only 15 minutes shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Wimbago wrote: »
    I was there for just short of an hour today and the ticket was free. Now I did get a bit knocked off my shopping list for being in Dunnes but don't think a scribble of a pen caused that. Last time I was there had the same issue as yourself, €2 after only 15 minutes shopping

You get an hour free when you spend a tenner in dunnes

• Advertisement

That comes of your shopping though, not off the ticket?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What's the difference? You don't pay for your parking.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

no comes off your ticket

You get the same in Market Cross, Superquinn give 1.30 if you spend 10euro, whether this will continue with Supervalu remains to be seen.
    I shop in Dungarvan quite a lot and the precinct has Dunnes who do an hours free parking; there is no money involved, the ticket gets tweaked.
    It is a good way to get shoppers to the station, and it is fast becoming the city centre.
    Though the car park is a bit of a maze; at least for the winter it is undercover. The comments about the coffee/bagel shops, it is a place to relax, would it support a full scale restaurant?
    One of the problems with the centre is, space; it again is an Irish interpretation, maybe a Kilkenny one, we just have nothing in the way of a large store.
    Shaw's, Debenhams, Brown Thomas or M & S would in all truth have been a draw, though such a complex would no doubt have drawn shoppers away from our neighbours and done nothing for inter county friendship.
    Going into the other county boards, Kilkenny isn't the favourite, some is blamed on our mate Phil, I kid you not.
    Maybe the mart site will correct this? A walk way connection might give us the best of both worlds, especially with a travelater.
    We won't hold our breath, so enjoy Dunnes free hour parking.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Going into the other county boards, Kilkenny isn't the favourite, some is blamed on our mate Phil, I kid you not.
    Foxy

Everything seems to be blamed on Phil.

Can you post links to where he's getting blamed for people not wanting to shop in Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Doff wrote: »
    Everything seems to be blamed on Phil.

Can you post links to where he's getting blamed for people not wanting to shop in Kilkenny?

It's an obsession...that and Aldi :pac:

Road High suggest you go to Specsavers before making false accusations, I expect an apology by return, failing which I am making an official complaint.

Road High suggest you go to Specsavers before making false accusations, I expect an apology by return, failing which I am making an official complaint.

By all means, off ya go, don't let me stop you ;)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Wow, an official complaint. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Back onto the topic of MacDonagh please.

What's the difference? You don't pay for your parking.

There is none really only I was curious as to which is meant to work. I have the money off at the end of the receipt but the ticket was valid too. Can't complain like. The other times I was there is was money off the shopping and then you paid the balance at the machine.

Magic biro ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

They put the ticket in a machine at the tills well that's what they did with my ticket.

Still though would they not do an upto 1 hour price, would probably bring more people into centre.

When you consider the fairgreen in Carlow is free and at the superquinn there if you spend a tenner you get 2 hours free, macdonaghs "offer" seems pretty stingey. Who in all fairness would spend three hours there? It's not as if its Dublin or somewhere.

road_high wrote: »
    When you consider the fairgreen in Carlow is free and at the superquinn there if you spend a tenner you get 2 hours free, macdonaghs "offer" seems pretty stingey. Who in all fairness would spend three hours there? It's not as if its Dublin or somewhere.

There's still plenty of options in Kilkenny: Supervalu, Eurospar, LIDL and Aldi. Kilkenny attracts a lot more traffic than Carlow does, if Carlow had the same volume of traffic do you think they'd have free parking?

There's still plenty of options in Kilkenny: Supervalu, Eurospar, LIDL and Aldi. Kilkenny attracts a lot more traffic than Carlow does, if Carlow had the same volume of traffic do you think they'd have free parking?

Not so sure. Always seems very busy to me. I think the free parking options are poor apart from the discounters. Super valu or Eurospar? No thanks!

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Not so sure. Always seems very busy to me. I think the free parking options are poor apart from the discounters. Super valu or Eurospar? No thanks!

If they charged for parking in the fairgreen I think you'd find Dunnes suddenly doing a lot better over there.

Another point to note is that its the only real shopping centre in Carlow, the cachement area is pretty big and I'd be thinking a lot of those cars are staff owned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

PaulKK wrote: »
    If they charged for parking in the fairgreen I think you'd find Dunnes suddenly doing a lot better over there.
    :confused: Why would they want to do that?

:confused: Why would they want to do that?

Not sure you got the context.. charging for parking in the fairgreen in Carlow would lead to more people going to dunnes in graiguecullen with free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

PaulKK wrote: »
    Not sure you got the context.. charging for parking in the fairgreen in Carlow would lead to more people going to dunnes in graiguecullen with free parking.

I think Dunnes in Graiguecullen is doing pretty well, it seems to be a lot busier than the one in McDonagh. I think ALL car parking should be free for at least 2 hours whether you buy anything or not.

Honestly are people really crying over the cost of parking at McDonough, this isn't a nanny state, if you want free parking go to the towns where Dunnes have free parking, Clonmel: Davis Road; super Dunnes and an adjacent Lidl.
    But think about it what does it cost to drive the extra distance? More than the cost of MacDonagh.
    It is similar to St Lukes, four euro is worth every cent, a fantastic hospital, please stop moaning and enjoy what you have.
    Of course you can travel to Carlow, why? Dunnes offer as good as value as anyone else.

Honestly are people really crying over the cost of parking at McDonough, this isn't a nanny state, if you want free parking go to the towns where Dunnes have free parking, Clonmel: Davis Road; super Dunnes and an adjacent Lidl.
    But think about it what does it cost to drive the extra distance? More than the cost of MacDonagh.
    It is similar to St Lukes, four euro is worth every cent, a fantastic hospital, please stop moaning and enjoy what you have.
    Of course you can travel to Carlow, why? Dunnes offer as good as value as anyone else.

But you're advocating Clonmel which is much further away and worse road? I give up...

Really Road-High, you should try and read posts as they are and not spin your interpretation of what you think it is, which it is not. I reckon Macdonagh offers us Kilkennyians a fair choice at a reasonable price, if you don't like the parking charged then you must go elsewhere.
    Please keep to the thread and do not go off on a tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The point I was trying to make is if I'm going to be paying for parking I want more shops than what Mac Donagh has to offer, why would I want to pay for parking when I can go to Waterford/Carlow/Clonmel and have free parking and alot more shops. Thanks to the motorway more cities are more accessible.

No one can argue that Macdonagh has a very limited choice for a fair percentage of shoppers; however parking charges are in all honesty a separate issue.
    I for one will not go near Market Yard, even if the parking was free, Market Cross is a mixed blessing; but as you put it virtually no choice.
    Of course the discerning shopper now heads out to Kildare Village, which has been so successful they are shortly going to expand it; again as you put it motorways bring other towns within easy reach.
    For ordinary grocery shopping, the cost of fuel makes local supermarkets preferable even paying parking charges, however; if you are an M&S fan it is Clonmel, yes and free parking.
    Living close to the border makes Clonmel, Waterford and to a degree New Ross easily accessible.
    By central London standards the charges here are almost free, not including Dublin or Cork of course.
    It is as pity Macdonagh is so limited; perhaps the mart site might change our perception of Kilkenny as a shopping centre par excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I don't think they warrant a parking fee to be honest. When I go to MacDonagh I know where I am going and what I am getting. In/Out within 15 minutes. The only shop that I might go to and have a look around is Tk Maxx and even at that it would be when I have some money to spare and might buy myself new clothes (Which isn't very common these days). Being honest MacDonagh would be my last resort if nowhere else had it.

I would have no problem spending the extra €6 roughly to go down the road to Carlow and park at Tesco for free, shop around in the Fairgreen, take a stroll up town and look around there, then drive back.

I'm almost 100% sure if MacDonagh had free parking they would not only attract more consumers but they would attract more shops wanting to set up in there.

Advertisement