Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are there any "dogs" left?

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago, when you went and bought yourself a Yugo or a Lada, you knew you were getting yourself a heap ...a cheap heap, but a heap nonetheless.

These days we are led to believe that all cars really are at least ok, if not good and some just better.

Is that true? Aren't there any real "dogs" left that you could by new tomorrow?

Name the new car you wouldn't want to touch with a bargepole and the reason why not.

(for the purpose of this thread, please overlook electrical gremlins ...they do affect other marques than Renault as well :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Renault Megane Scenic variant. 1.4i engine wouldn't pull skin off milk. Very dangerous in corners as you have literally no power to correct steering. Insanely high resale values, they're terrible machines. I know you want us to overlook electrical problems, but they're ten a penny on these things. Build quality is shocking and the driving position is way too high, it's like driving a car while sitting on the roof.

Ford Mondeo 1.8i variant. Engine lacks power and its a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Ford Mondeo 1.8i variant. Engine lacks power and its a shame

Nonsense! 1.8 Mondeo might not be fastest car out there, but the engine is definitely not a "shame". In fact, its rather nice to drive, much nicer then lets say a 1.6 Passat or Audi A4.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Nonsense! 1.8 Mondeo might not be fastest car out there, but the engine is definitely not a "shame". In fact, its rather nice to drive, much nicer then lets say a 1.6 Passat or Audi A4.

Won't argue with you on it, just my own opinion. Compared to other 1.8 cars it is very slow. (e.g. Mazda 6)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

citreon berlingo, the car version, we have 2 in work and they are pure sh*ite

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai Atoz:

5MC.JPG

Still available to buy new here despite being an almost 10 year old design, it only comes with 1 airbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hyundai Atoz

No doubt utter cack, but it will probably be reliable as long as you don't crash it

Most cars are at least of some standard until maybe we will get to a point that they'll start selling Chinese cars over here (hasn't happened yet, but we came close a few times)

Most modern total sh!teheaps are individual lemons. The exception rather than the rule. Like that particular Peugeot that the owner wanted to demolish himself over in the UK a year or two ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maoleary wrote: »
    Won't argue with you on it, just my own opinion. Compared to other 1.8 cars it is very slow. (e.g. Mazda 6)

Mondeo and Mazda 6 are the same car, all are owned by Ford and use the same parts. Just bend a few panels different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hyundai Atoz:

5MC.JPG

Still available to buy new here despite being an almost 10 year old design, it only comes with 1 airbag.

If that's the case it's illegally on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If that's the case it's illegally on sale.
    Drivers Airbag
    Provides safety cushion for the driver in the event of frontal collision.

http://www.hyundai.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=hy.safety&modelID=1490&bodyID=4236

no mention of any other airbags...

Good to see that it has "headlamps" listed as a feature, though - finally NASA technology is filtering down to the consumer level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The brochure for the Atos Prime is hilarious, it claims to offer cutting edge safety!
    ABS and an airbag. How generous!
    Think they've pulled it now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Last I heard about 3 years ago that there was only about 15 Lada's left in this country. I doubt there are any Yugo's however.

As for more recent scrap, the Daewoo Matiz gets my vote. Badly built, has an appetite for head gaskets, VERY slow, no space in them, a rather dodgy clutch pedal that shakes and jams in some cases, the list is endless.

I can guarantee that in 5-10 years there won't be any of the first generation Matiz's left in the country. It'll be good riddens to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a Yugo on campus (at the apartments) of NUIM until at least last year. Wheter it ever moved off-campus I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Most Yugos I remember literally disintegrated...that one must have been held together with an especially resistant rust!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ABS and an airbag. How generous!

Anything more than 1 is just greed. I'm paying for my poxy car, I dont feel I should have to pay for airbags for freeloadign passengers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Anything American

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

armour87 wrote: »
    Anything American

Corners are for wimps.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Corners are for wimps.

As is Fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Del2005 wrote: »
    Mondeo and Mazda 6 are the same car, all are owned by Ford and use the same parts. Just bend a few panels different.

I don't think they have half as much in common as a lot of people think, although both are better to drive than competitors such as Passat, Avensis etc.

There are no variants of either that deserve to be linked even tenuously with the title of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

only " dog" dog of a car i can think of is anything french , italtian , american , english and/or japanese

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »
    only " dog" dog of a car i can think of is anything french , italtian , american , english and/or japanese

I don't know everything about cars but surely the Japs make fine motor vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

City Rover....never seen such s.h.i.t.e. before....based around a Tata from India.......and Rover wonder why they went bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anything Hyundai or Daewoo i wouldnt touch off of. low re sale value, piss poor build quality and koreans cant make cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

rob316 wrote: »
    Anything Hyundai or Daewoo i wouldnt touch off of. low re sale value, piss poor build quality and koreans cant make cars!
    Filth and lies, sir. Can't vouch for Daewoo, but Hyundai/Kia make great cars with excellent build quality. Somewhere between "Better than most" and "Among the best", according to JDPower.
    http://www.jdpower.com/autos/hyundai/accent/2008/hatchback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

rob316 wrote: »

Nonsense. Hyundai and Kia are amongst the most reliable around. My dads had loads of them and never had a single problem. Kia wouldn't be offering a seven year warranty if the build wasn't up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

furtzy wrote: »
    Nonsense. Hyundai and Kia are amongst the most reliable around. My dads had loads of them and never had a single problem. Kia wouldn't be offering a seven year warranty if the build wasn't up to scratch

Daewoo offered a 5 year warranty and their build quality wasn't up to scratch - although it did bankrupt them in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's General Motors for you. I see Daewoo Lanos hatchbacks here in China with "Buick Excelle" badges on their arses :eek:

MYOB wrote: »
    Daewoo offered a 5 year warranty and their build quality wasn't up to scratch - although it did bankrupt them in the process.

Just going by my dads experience with them. Four Korean cars in 6 years (he's a new reg snob!!) and never a single problem. Not one trip back to dealers in 6 years. He used to always buy german, VW's and Audi's mainly, but got fed up with the appaling reliabilty.

furtzy wrote: »
    Just going by my dads experience with them. Four Korean cars in 6 years (he's a new reg snob!!) and never a single problem. Not one trip back to dealers in 6 years. He used to always buy german, VW's and Audi's mainly, but got fed up with the appaling reliabilty.

Brand new cars are hardly a reliable indicator of future reliability. You said it yourself, your dad kept changing them for a brand new plate, :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

maoleary wrote: »
    Brand new cars are hardly a reliable indicator of future reliability. You said it yourself, your dad kept changing them for a brand new plate, :rolleyes:

Yeah but compared to all the problems he had with simiar aged VW's and Audi's he had :rolleyes:

Advertisement