Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the library (rant!)

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Purely because there isn't enough powerpoints, so in about 50 minutes I have to grab all my stuff and go up to Quinn if I want to finish this essay on my laptop.

If I want to be guaranteed a laptop point I have to get here at 9 in the morning. It's so frustrating! And they disable many of the other powerpoints on the walls making the situation even worse.

Just looking around now, there's about 2 or 3 laptop places where the person left their laptop there to hold onto their spot whilst they go to a lecture or something. Not complaining about them, it's a clever tactic - but it pisses me off that people have to even do this, due to poor facilities.

Please feel free to add your own grumbles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Well I hate the library due to the incessant "tap-tap-tapping" of laptops!

SO THERE

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Try a local library, they have wireless and usually have sockets dotted about the place. Much quieter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

what about the IT room in Newman. 1st floor. always spaces there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

At least you can get into the library...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah it sucks not having a power point... Not much ya can do about it though. There's a decent amount available. The main thing that annoys me is when people leave their sh*t at the laptop place and then p*ss off for hours on end... f*ckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The other day in the library i was amazed at the amount of laptops people just left lying there when they pissed off somewhere else. Seriously there was like 5 just sitting there right beside me for about an hour. Its crazy considering how much they've payed for them. And then theres all the people walking around with laptops in their hands waiting for it to lash rain/for them to trip and fall over.:rolleyes:...Sorry kinda OT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ah nothing worse alright than having a deadline looming and no computers available cos lots of people are checking their bebo or playing games

playa3 wrote: »
    The other day in the library i was amazed at the amount of laptops people just left lying there when they pissed off somewhere else. Seriously there was like 5 just sitting there right beside me for about an hour. Its crazy considering how much they've payed for them. And then theres all the people walking around with laptops in their hands waiting for it to lash rain/for them to trip and fall over.:rolleyes:...Sorry kinda OT
    Leaving a book or a notepad on a desk is no guarantee someone wont take your desk; on the other hand Ive never moved somebodys laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Leaving a book or a notepad on a desk is no guarantee someone wont take your desk; on the other hand Ive never moved somebodys laptop.

So you'd be willing to have your laptop nicked just so you can keep a desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Lots of laptops have been stolen from DIT library in Aungier st lately, I wouldnt advise anyone to leave them lying around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

playa3 wrote: »
    So you'd be willing to have your laptop nicked just so you can keep a desk?
    Have any laptops been reported stolen before? You need a student card to get into the library, and there's cameras all over the place, not to mention hundreds of witnesses... Plus, with the amount of laptops left alone in the place, it's statistically not TOO likely that yours would be robbed! :D

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it there all day, but TBH I do think that if I did that, it would still be there at the end of the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Well I hate the library due to the incessant "tap-tap-tapping" of laptops!

SO THERE

:p

I concur!
    ESPECIALLY when some idiot lugs one into the quiet electronic device free study area!:mad:
    But I think they've disconnected the plugs there...was sitting there today and the amount of morons heading in, sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THE SIGN that says you can't use your laptops and then trying to plug them in, and nada. And then the libocop herding any sneaky offenders out. Me, 1, laptops, 0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Schlemm wrote: »
    I concur!
    ESPECIALLY when some idiot lugs one into the quiet electronic device free study area!:mad:
    But I think they've disconnected the plugs there...was sitting there today and the amount of morons heading in, sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THE SIGN that says you can't use your laptops and then trying to plug them in, and nada. And then the libocop herding any sneaky offenders out. Me, 1, laptops, 0!

Where is this area? I remember at the start of first year I went there and sat down with my laptop and started working away. Librocop came along, pointed out the sign and proceeded to be angry. Since, I can't remember at all where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Empty lecture theatres late at night are nice. Some of them have random powerpoints under the seats.
    And there were a couple of laptops stolen in the science building this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

If you don't mind a walk, head up to Newstead, the former Philips building. There are usually free PCs in G80, and laptop spaces in the "IT Centre" across the hall from that. No print kiosk, though, nearest is at Richview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

stereoroid wrote: »
    If you don't mind a walk, head up to Newstead, the former Philips building. There are usually free PCs in G80, and laptop spaces in the "IT Centre" across the hall from that. No print kiosk, though, nearest is at Richview.

Is a "print kiosk" a print creditor? If so there's one in the computer room upstairs. No photocopier creditor though which is extremely irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I love my office because it isnt the library. No printer ink in my printer is a slight irritation so im afraid i must venture in to the land of the lower classes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I can always get a powerpoint if I try.

Guess I'm just special :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

At the end of the day the same library regulations apply be it someone leaving a laptop or not - leave it for half an hour and place can be taken by someone else. leave there stuff on a sorting desk. It was the stupidity that caused it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The college demands that all work handed up is typed, and then they go and disconnect the power to most of the sockets in the library. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Just got kicked out for riding a trolley down a bookshelf gap, it was a honour to be even touched by librocop!

At the end of the day the same library regulations apply be it someone leaving a laptop or not - leave it for half an hour and place can be taken by someone else. leave there stuff on a sorting desk. It was the stupidity that caused it in the first place.
    Works in theory, just not in practice. Very few people will ever move someone elses stuff. Just like very few people will ever kick someone off a computer who's on bebo. A bit strange considering they're perfectly entitled to do so.

But the number who'd move someones laptop is even fewer. In 3 years I never saw even the LibroCops move someones laptop.

So though there might be no difference in the rules, leaving a laptop on a desk is a more reliable way of saving your seat than a note pad and book (if you consider the likilihood of theft negligable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Is a "print kiosk" a print creditor? If so there's one in the computer room upstairs. No photocopier creditor though which is extremely irritating.
    Ah - that must be new to Newstead, it wasn't on the IT Services website last time I looked (yesterday). It's quite busy this evening, but not too busy, or noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Have any laptops been reported stolen before? You need a student card to get into the library, and there's cameras all over the place, not to mention hundreds of witnesses... Plus, with the amount of laptops left alone in the place, it's statistically not TOO likely that yours would be robbed! :D

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving it there all day, but TBH I do think that if I did that, it would still be there at the end of the day...

Were you not around last year for the pre- exam laptop stealing spree- I think around 5 or more were taken in total from the library- some lad had found a student card and robbed a load of them but was eventually caught.

My laptop was robbed from quinn a week before the summer exams and i can honestly say it was probably the worst day of my life. I'd never take the chance again- i always lock my laptop to the desk with a kensington if i'm going for a minute or two and wouldn't even leave it like that for too long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

My laptop was robbed from quinn a week before the summer exams and i can honestly say it was probably the worst day of my life. I'd never take the chance again- i always lock my laptop to the desk with a kensington if i'm going for a minute or two and wouldn't even leave it like that for too long

Well yeah obviously, a Kensington is easy to unlock..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Brimmy wrote: »
    Well yeah obviously, a Kensington is easy to unlock..

Are you saying a kensington is easy to crack or to use?

If anybody is desperate for a laptop plug/ internet connection or even a computer check out the 5th floor of the library- yes there are 5 floors.

To get there keep walking passed the library scanners and through the doors after the Arts Tunnell doors- when you go through take the elevator to the 5th floor- this hidden world is always empty and great for a few plug sockets or computers. but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! nobody knows yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...zomg. Thank you sir!

*resists urge to delete previous post for purposes of protecting study spot*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Raphael wrote: »
    ...zomg. Thank you sir!

*resists urge to delete previous post for purposes of protecting study spot*

I won't complain if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

To crack. There was a video going around a few years ago showing how to do it and it's so ridiculously simple it wasn't funny.

I say delete it. Mwahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If anybody is desperate for a laptop plug/ internet connection or even a computer check out the 5th floor of the library- yes there are 5 floors.

To get there keep walking passed the library scanners and through the doors after the Arts Tunnell doors- when you go through take the elevator to the 5th floor- this hidden world is always empty and great for a few plug sockets or computers. but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! nobody knows yet

Shut up. Dont ruin the spot

Advertisement