Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler and Heating Oil in the same area

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just built a shed (blocks) 9'x10' to install boiler and an 1100 litre oil tank for home heating. Now I am wondering is it safe to have the home heating tank so close to the boiler or does it matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

shouldn't be a problem, the boiler in my last house was only 2 foot away from the tank(kerosene) and it was never brought up by anyone servicing the boiler or delivering fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

Whew:cool: Thanks Wazzoraybelle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

my parents was the same, but the boiler was inside and the tank outside.
    It sounds like yours are both inside.
    Might there be an issues with fumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Not sure if these rules are for commercial premises only but, Tank should be at least 1 meter from building and should have a concrete base with a wall approx. 1 meter high to catch any leakage from a burst tank.

Its more than one meter and safe in that regard its just being so close to the boiler. I know kerosene is not as flammable as petrol:eek: but to be sure to be sure I wanted reassurance

• Advertisement

arghh wrote: »
    Its more than one meter and safe in that regard its just being so close to the boiler. I know kerosene is not as flammable as petrol:eek: but to be sure to be sure I wanted reassurance
    Is the shed just for the boiler?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is the shed just for the boiler?

no its for both (boiler and oil tank) they would be 6 feet apart

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

One more point about the set up in my previous house and that is that there were four or five 1inch holes drilled high on the door of the boiler house, don't know if they were there before the boiler was installed but may have been drilled to dissipate any fumes or to ensure a good supply of air to the burner. Our current boiler house indeed has a vent and the tank is outside.

arghh wrote: »
    no its for both (boiler and oil tank) they would be 6 feet apart

Personally I wouldnt be happy with that situation, but I dont know for sure if its a problem...
    I think you would need to do something about fumes accumulating...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The regulations are available on page 17 of this document.

Basically a tank of this size inside a building needs a specially constructed catchpit AND a fireproof chamber with self-closing firedoor.

If you were going strictly by the regulations it would be much easier to have it outside, though you may have your own particular reasons for not doing this.

• Advertisement

The reason I am not leaving it outside is there has been a spate of oil stolen around the area where I am going to live. Thats why I built the shed. I guess its better to put blocks between it and the boiler. The more I think about it the more sense it makes of having a dividing wall makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Think about what you are trying to achieve here...
    1. Security of your oil from theft.
    2. Prevent leaking oil entering the area surrounding the boiler.
    3. Preventing an overheat or small fire from spreading to the tank.

For this reason you will probably need to use a membrane to pool the leaking oil, and also provide a wall divide between both the tank and the boiler. Then, fit a smoke alarm with an external beacon... and bob's yer grandfather...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I would certainly separate them. Oil boilers are safe and very seldom catch fire. I remember one case where a fire was caused by an electrical fault in the burner. The oil did not ignite, but the heat was very intense and burned the wooden door. I would not like to have been around if there had been a plastic tank in that boilerhouse :eek:.
    Also in summer, there will be a lot of vapour in an almost empty oil tank - this could expand in the heat and there is a slight chance of a combustable mix in the boiler house.
    Jim.

Thanks guys for the replys, sure enough I have to put more thought into it now.I have to have good ventilation in the boilerhouse and seperate them both also have something installed in case of spillage.

Advertisement