Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Tablet ...

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting my hands on a graphics tablet ... I know for a professional one I should pay a few hundred ... but its similar to me wanting a decent camera I just don't know if I'll make use of it

Aldi seems to have a ridiculously sized one .. A4 or something ...

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_4337.htm

For 50 quid on sunday ... anyone have any experience
    I know the brand Medion is halfway decent

I bought a cheap tablet about 8 years ago and must admit it was pretty crap not that I was trying to do anything major with it.

I'd basically be looking for something I can play with with in photoshop

I know similar threads pop up from time to time

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wacom are the best brand for tablets imho. I have an A6 one thats just big enough for my needs. I think I paid around €100 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Cheers for the recommendation
    The Wacom Bamboo Fun .. seems to get very good reviews ... and is around the 112 price range ... there is also a kit with an A6 tablet aimed at people creating mangas which could be quite cool.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Small-Tablet-Graphics-Software/dp/B000V9NU2A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196178867&sr=8-5

I guess having not really used one I immediately think I need an A4 canvas to work from.

I am feeling torn though with aldi just being over the road and able to get it thursday morning .. ARGH! :)

I remember a thread on the Aldi one here about six months ago...
    I think it got decent reviews.

just googled back on boards and hmmm mixed reviews .. which makes me think its 50 / 50 ... so I might as well just spend the extra 50 and get something that gets good reviews :)

best of luck with the new toy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Guffy001

I'm getting a wacom cintiq shortly they're by far the best out of the wacoms, check them out but they are gonna set you back a pretty penny its $2,500 the reason is the cintiq is a moniter that you basically draw on. Its amazing, i'm currently using a Wacom intuos2 4x6 tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've been trying to offload my A3 Wacom for ages now .... I just dont get time to use it.

Guffy wrote: »
    I'm getting a wacom cintiq shortly they're by far the best out of the wacoms, check them out but they are gonna set you back a pretty penny its $2,500 the reason is the cintiq is a moniter that you basically draw on. Its amazing, i'm currently using a Wacom intuos2 4x6 tab.

I've seen those and they are extremely cool but also extremely out of my price range. At the moment its a it'd be nice to have toy which if I find it in any way decent I'll probably start using for work. Maybe in a few years I could look at that kinda price but for the moment its well out of my league for my requirements.

forbairt wrote: »
    I've seen those and they are extremely cool but also extremely out of my price range. At the moment its a it'd be nice to have toy which if I find it in any way decent I'll probably start using for work. Maybe in a few years I could look at that kinda price but for the moment its well out of my league for my requirements.

Doesn't Bert Monroy use one of those?
    http://www.bertmonroy.com/

bloody hell :D

http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm

1.7gb flattened file ?? EEK!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

forbairt wrote: »
    there is also a kit with an A6 tablet aimed at people creating mangas which could be quite cool.

I got an A6 Wacom a few months ago -- just to play around with, not a serious working requirement or anything. One thing I will say is that I find the small size of the A6 very frustrating. Wish I had held out and got at least an A5 or A4.

Think about mapping the size of the pad to your monitor.. with an A6 this either means your motions are greatly magnified on screen (drawing a tiny line doesn't end up so tiny.. precision work basically out of the question) or you limit the drawing zone and are forced to go back to the mouse/keyboard for anything outside of it (usually to change tools, colours, etc.)

Considering how great the device is apart from that, I wish I had splashed out at the time and bought a bigger one.

Advertisement