Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver help

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    iv recently got a 30 day trial version of dreamweaver.
    I have been exploring its functionality, and i must say im very impressed, i like a lot of its features.
    but i need to do one simple thing, that i cant find in the help files!
    i need to creat a drop down menu, for a search, how wood i go about doing this, and i also need to list a few thgings, in this drop down menu!
    thanks for the help
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

There used be a time this was all done via the magic of javascript ... EEK!!!

now I'd recommend taking a look at
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/simple_vertical.html

All done using Lists and CSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the comment, but i was looking ffor something more conventional, more like wat ud see on autotrader.co.uk for example,
    where u have a number of drop down menus, and u can select ur choice from each drop down menu, one at a time.
    any ideas wat i could use for this?
    thanks
    ed

You're talking about the selects on the left hand side that update ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

ya exactly, those 'select' s that when u hit them present the drop down list

forbairt wrote: »
    You're talking about the selects on the left hand side that update ?

Well the item is called a
    <select>

And you create them like that
    <select name="mySelect">
    <option value="1">Item 1</option>
    <option value="2">Item 2</option>
    <option value="3">Item 3</option>
    </select>

For what you're thinking of doing ... I recommend you have a look at something like ...
    http://infimum.dk/HTML/multiselect.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Also, I would suggest that you at least learn HTML before using a WYSIWYG. Understanding the elements and attributes is important, you cant just skip foundation level maths and go straight to quantum physics :p

It will also help you troubleshoot problems that you have in the future. If you become too dependent on Dreamweaver for mark-up, you may miss certain things.

Also, I would suggest that you at least learn HTML before using a WYSIWYG.

I'd second this. Dreamweaver is great but as was said you're missing a hell of a lot of the basics by using it .. .and end up using <font> .. align=lefts ... and various other things you don't need to include half the time when a nice little bit of CSS will do the job for you

Decent Text Editor + Firebug = Happiness :)

Advertisement