Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12th century Ireland

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help. I'm doing research for a project and looking for books and reliable websites specifically on this century.
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

"Ireland in the Middle Ages." Seán Duffy. First part of this is mainly 12th century.

"The Archaeology of Medieval Ireland." Tadgh O'Keeffe. Discusses some of the social implications of Norman settlement.

I'll have a look along my bookshelf and see if there is anything else!! But I recommend those two mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thanks, those two sound ideal, would appreciate any more you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Hey, this is a coincidence as I stumbled upon an old ruined cottage in Co. Fermanagh that on closer inspection, after I'd spotted something unusual, turned out to have some carved eclesiastical stones built into its walls or lying around it. Having contacted the Environmental Heritage Service of NI and after just meeting with them at the site today they believe that they're possibly pieces of diminutive carvings taken from the religious buildings on the nearby monastic island of Devenish. Dimutive seemingly meaning that they're likely to be interior from say a shrine or altar as opposed to structural.

And to cut a long story short and get to the coincidence part, some of the pieces I've discovered may turn out to be Romanesque - in keeping with some of the buildings on Devenish - and if so would have been carved in or around the 12th century: the century of Romanesque architecture in Ireland.

A book I took out of the library in Enniskillen to read up on this is Tadhg O'Keeffe's Romanesque Ireland: Architecture and Ideology in the Twelfth Century

The book's ISBN code is 1-85182-617-3 and as it's been catalogued by the British Library you should be able to get a copy of it in Trinity University's copyright library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

MT wrote: »
    Hey, this is a coincidence as I stumbled upon an old ruined cottage in Co. Fermanagh that on closer inspection, after I'd spotted something unusual, turned out to have some carved eclesiastical stones built into its walls or lying around it. Having contacted the Environmental Heritage Service of NI and after just meeting with them at the site today they believe that they're possibly pieces of diminutive carvings taken from the religious buildings on the nearby monastic island of Devenish. Dimutive seemingly meaning that they're likely to be interior from say a shrine or altar as opposed to structural.

And to cut a long story short and get to the coincidence part, some of the pieces I've discovered may turn out to be Romanesque - in keeping with some of the buildings on Devenish - and if so would have been carved in or around the 12th century: the century of Romanesque architecture in Ireland.

A book I took out of the library in Enniskillen to read up on this is Tadhg O'Keeffe's Romanesque Ireland: Architecture and Ideology in the Twelfth Century

The book's ISBN code is 1-85182-617-3 and as it's been catalogued by the British Library you should be able to get a copy of it in Trinity University's copyright library.

Very interesting MT, fair play to you for getting the Environmental Heritage Service to look into it. At least you DO something for history, unlike myself. BTW, there's a bit o' a Fermanagh man in me - Maguire, need I say any more :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thanks MT. Do you think Cork city library would have this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

^^ I would think so... by the way, Tadgh O'Keeffe has since re-written this work. He realised he was wrong in some of his observations and decided to correct his own mistakes!! A very brave man!! But as I know him personally, it is the type of thing he would do. He is a true academic scholar and a fine archaeologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I totally agree,

Advertisement