Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato & Leek soup

• 27-11-2007 3:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to make this soup well? Ie. What size the potatoes should be chopped to etc. I always fail at making this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Faith wrote: »
    Right, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to make this soup well? Ie. What size the potatoes should be chopped to etc. I always fail at making this!

slowly saute onions in butter for 5-10mins,season,
    add your chopped leeks and saute for a further 10 min,season,
    add potatoes cut in quarters and add stock(chicken or veg),
    bring to the boil,season and then simmer for for 15- 20 mins,
    liquidize and strain and place soup in a clean pot and bring back to simmering point,
    season,add cream if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, personally, since you're going to liquidize or blend it anyway, then cut them up as small as you like, I typically cut them up into roughly 1 cm pieces. I also wouldn't bother with the onions, or straining it either .. I prefer to keep it a bit 'rustic' even with the odd bit of potato left in so just zap it with a hand blender in the saucepan and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Faith - If you want it especially smooth you could strain the soup through a fine metal sieve before reheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

county wrote: »
    slowly saute onions in butter for 5-10mins,season,
    add your chopped leeks and saute for a further 10 min,season,
    add potatoes cut in quarters and add stock(chicken or veg),
    add a finely chopped carrot or two
    Some finely chopped parsley

bring to the boil,season and then simmer for for 15- 20 mins,
    liquidize and strain and place soup in a clean pot and bring back to simmering point,
    season,add cream if you wish.

Sorry County, made a couple of adjustments ;)

Advertisement