Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up apache and tomcat on live website

Options
  • 27-11-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Soon I will need to setup a live website with apache and tomcat on a live server

I can't seem to find any tutorials for doing this.

Ive found plenty of tutorials for setting up apache and tomcat locally for a testing environment on your own computer.

Is there much difference between setting up apache and tomcat on a live server and setting it up for a testing environment?
    I will be backing up a currently live website to a different sever so that if the current server fails we can use the backup site on the new server.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

You pretty much set them up the same way. There is no difference between the live and test servers except a live server usually has the default webapps removed, its server.xml modified to remove any unneeded connectors.

Also, as its a live server, you may need to tune it for performance.. i.e. increase number of apache connections, increase heap sizes for the jvm etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How do you have it running. It might be easy to set it up locally using localports but you might have to setup the workers file to handle outside connections as well as virtual hosts + the http.conf. Are you using mod.jk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

As per Giblets post. Its quite simple. You can install both Apache/Tomcat on your server on different ports. Normally 80 for Apache, and 8080 for Tomcat.

Then use mod_jk to send servlet/jsp calls to Tomcat. Read the howto here..

The only other consideration then is whether you're doing single instances or clustering of Tomcat nodes. I found an EXCELLENT article on session management for clustered Tomcat nodes, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Yes on the current server where the site is running at the moment it is using mod.jk.

Brilliant stuff

Thanks guys.

Advertisement