Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Maintenance Book

Options
  • 27-11-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Not how to maintain Christmas though, I use Baileys and espresso for that.

I'm determined to start doing my own maintenance and have decided to ask Santy for a good book on the subject. But there are a plethora of publications on Amazon and I am blinded by the selection.

Any strong recommendations? If it were to include a section of the conversion of a road bike into a fixie that would make me extra smiley on Christmas morning. What a greedy little man I am.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Zinn and the Art of Mountainbike Maintenance
    Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
    Park Tool Blue Book

I wouldn't bother with Barnett's Manual - it's way too detailed for general use.

I'm not aware of any books detailing how to convert a bike to a fixed wheel. There's not that much to it - the internet is your best bet. Here's somewhere to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Morgan wrote: »
    Zinn and the Art of Mountainbike Maintenance
    Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
    Park Tool Blue Book

I wouldn't bother with Barnett's Manual - it's way too detailed for general use.

I'm not aware of any books detailing how to convert a bike to a fixed wheel. There's not that much to it - the internet is your best bet. Here's somewhere to start.

Thank you for that. I saw the Zinn ones but was unsure.

Great site that, very helpful. And from my mechanically challenged viewpoint may I state: 'not much to it' my arse.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have the Zinn Road bike one and it's sparse on the diagrams and pikkies which I quite like. I'd go for the Park Tool.

I use it for more as a Get-me-out-of-trouble reference book when I've messed something up when tinkering.

As for converting a road into a fixie. I think there was a section in Cycling Plus on this a few months ago. I see if I can find it and I'll scan it for you if you give me your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Have the Zinn Book. It's great. Think you're better off trying to fix/ maintain and using the book to get you of jail. Very easy to follow.

Sheldon Brown website is good for conversion advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ryder wrote: »
    Sheldon Brown website is good for conversion advice

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Thank you all. Both sites really useful.

And am going with the Big Blue Book for the moment, just cause it sounds a little like Bear in the Big Blue House and I happen to be a big fan.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I was looking for a book along the same lines and came across this, which I have asked santa for...hope he brings it (and I think it has a section on fixies too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Santa brought me the blue version of that (4th edition) via book tokens last year. It was so good I've ended up tinkering beyond my talent in many cases:eek:
    +1 for unionman's link from me so.

Someday I'm gonna own a place and I'm gonna get me a big shed full of bike bits and crap to play with:o

Advertisement