Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Degree

Options
  • 27-11-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Do you need to have an honours bachelors degree to get to do a master?

If not, is there any way around it?

Comments

Not as far as I'm aware. Just inquire with the college as normal, and they may put you in contact with the relevant supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If by Honours BSc, you mean a Level 8 award, then as far as I know, it is required for a Masters.

An ordinary level degree is level 7 and comparable to an old diploma.

As Myth says, the best advice is to check with the college in question.

As for a way around it, some colleges do allow work experience to count in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Ok, what I mean is a 4 year degree from DCU where I failed one subject first time round and then got it in the repeats, what's this?

Level 7 or 8?

The magic image comes about again...

NFQ.jpg

You've repeats in final year? Do you have one shot at doing an Honours Degree and the repeats will get you a Pass Degree? There are too many questions to ask!

It's 4 year so I'd assume it's a level 8 but depending on what you obtained you could have a level 7 or 8. Perhaps, yet again, the best thing would be to do would be to contact your old department to see exactly. There might be some holes in the national framework of qualification, and repeats in final year would possibly be one of these holy divers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bunnie

Actually, there is a way around it. I just got offered a masters course at both DIT and DCU. I have no undergraduate degree. Never been to college before. It's a little known secret that you can actually apply to the college through PAC (for DCU) and arrange an interview. There reserve 2 or 3 places each year based purely on experience and interview although it sounds like perhaps you already have a degree. The interview deadlines for this year has passed, but there are late applications. The guys at DIT told me this at interview. They also mentioned that some people are accepted after the course begins in September. There are some stipulations though, and perhaps not available for every course. My problem is now though, I don't qualify for back to education allowance because it's a masters course, even though I don't have an undergrad. Does anyone know any more about what I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If by Honours BSc, you mean a Level 8 award, then as far as I know, it is required for a Masters.
    may be correct as a general rule but is not completely correct. A level 7 pass degree can be fine for some masters.
    You need to check with the course requirements

Advertisement