Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NT4 and 2k3 servers. CAL management

• 27-11-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

I have to tidy up CALs in a domain (NT4 server is the old PDC and win2k3 server is the new one).

Issue 1: NTserver is still running the licensing service including terminal server licenses which cant be moved to the 2k3 server

Issue 2:
    CAL types are a bit scattered
    Product | seat owned | seat allocated | server | alloc
    MS Backoffice | 60 | 154 | 0 | 0
    Exch 2000 | 90 | 10 | 0 | 24
    Exch 5.5 | 100 | 0 | 0 | 74
    NT | 155 | 3 | 463 | 139
    Win server | 300 | 266 | 200 | 45

Servers are:
    NT server : demoted PDC, now filestore
    2k3 : PDC
    Exch2k3: exchange
    2k : Intranet
    2k3: SQL

There are 190 users approx. How many users are covered above? do they all get lumped together? am I short licenses ? some users are using multiple license types which ones are duplicates of each other ? there used to be a SBS 2003 server but that was discontinued for the seperates approach.

Issue 3:
    There are a lot of Users listed in the licensing manager that are no longer here and have been deleted from AD. Licensing manager is running on NT server, AD is listing users on both NT server and 2k3. Which AD is the licensing service pulling the list from ?

Computers listed in AD on NTserver are also on 2k3 server and need a good clearing out but I dotn want to drop valid pcs off the domain and have to physically log them back on (I'm lazy that way). Is there a recommended way to automatically remove "dead" PCs from the domain.

I'm off to do a bit of reading on this myself but if anyone has a link to a handy article or a bit of advice please share! Top priority is minimising downtime for users as this needs to be tidied up during business hours.

thanks in advance

Advertisement