Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Problem Help?!

• 27-11-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Long story short, my mother, for reasons best known to herself, ran a Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade on her laptop which (though some process I'm not quite clear on) reconfigured the OS to the point that the PC runs incredibly slowly and is almost unuseable.

She contacted the manufacturer who said that Vista needs to be remapped so she's sent it to me (because the laptop was bought in US and the Euro office don't have a licence for the software).

Now, I'm very familiar with windows OS up to XP, but haven't made the leap to Vista yet.

Not entirely sure what the manufacturer tech support people mean by remapping the OS, but from what I can gather, factory restore attempts have failed.

Basically, I'm wondering can I do this repair myself, if so, what do you think I need.

If anyone can explain what might be wrong, I'd be appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you should be able to use the system restore CD to restore it to XP then run the anytime upgrade to upgrade it to vista again - ring MS to re-activate it so they know you're nice and not an evil poirate or linux user.

While you're doing that, check the spec of the laptop. Vista uses waaaaaay more ram than xp and uses it differently too.

No idea what "remapping" an OS is though. these might help:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t185015-loading_windows_anytime_upgrade

and here:
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/61031-vista-reinstall.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yeah, I've never heard of remapping an OS.

As I said, apparently the factory restore attempt failed, but now I have it myself, i'll give it a try.

Thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're only 1gb of ram on the laptop then thats just Vista. It's uses upwards of 800mb just to run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Oh Lolth...I should have explained better.

The OS was already on Vista... it was a Vista Basic package when bought. She was running the Anytime upgrade, because the disk was there and she thought she should run it, not because she wanted to upgrade...

So no XP at all.

About the RAM issue. 1.5GB of ram iirc, she says it ran alot faster before she ran the anytime upgrade disc.

Advertisement