Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College is making me smoke more.

• 27-11-2007 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I really want to give up the damn things but inbetween lectures I find myself smoking more and more because we've got very long breaks inbetween some lectures and when I don't have any work to do I just smoke because I've nothing else to do.
    I've been smoking for almost two years now.
    From tomorrow onwards I'm only bringing in 5 cigarettes and that will have to last me for the day. Hopefully then I'll lower it and ease myself onto the patches.

Sounds easier than it really is. Anybody else in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

yeah, ive been smokin since i was sixteen and when your at schools, its much harder to smoke and get away with it...!

im in second year college now, i tried to give up a month ago and managed a week without them.
    then after that, when i got the head down to study, all i could think about was smoking...
    so i went back on them and now i feel alot more confident abt exams and stuff.
    not condoning smoking at all, its just an illusion, but to answer your question, yes i do find myself smoking alot more now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

froosh69 wrote: »
    so i went back on them and now i feel alot more confident abt exams and stuff.
    not condoning smoking at all, its just an illusion, but to answer your question, yes i do find myself smoking alot more now...

I quit at the end of September. it all went well and good for a while to the workload increased. by November the frequency of slips has increased quite considerably... I now have a pack in my bedroom that gets opened every few days... but yeah it all goes back down to the illusion that it helps with concentration. Study and the occasional craving resulted in the cravings amplifying hugely... but then i have one and wont get any cravings for a few days... I'm daft like that. It was actually boredom/workload and exams in the first place that pretty much drove me from occasional smoker to full-timer in the first place.

I'm not back on them full-time yet though so that's a positive, so whatever is left of that pack by the time exams are over will get binned. I'll lock myself in my room all Xmas if i have to to stay off them for good. Just haven't the energy to deal with the cravings now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I don't feel that the ciggies help me with concentration I feel that when I try to quit, the cravings don't help with concentration. Last year coming up to my exams I was smoking 40 a day :(

Advertisement