Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Credit Cards

Options
  • 27-11-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question for anyone who knows their stuff about credit cards.

I'm over in Chicago for a few weeks, and lost my wallet on Sunday night. The next morning (around 11am) I rang home to cancel the cards. The lady told me there had been no transactions made on the cards, but what I'm worried about is, could someone have made transactions that haven't showed up yet, as there is no chip and pin technology here yet. If someone has done so, am I stuck with the bill? I don't think I have any cover.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They normally can see if any transactions have been authorised through the card being swiped etc. However this doesn't mean that nothing has happened, so if by the offchance something was purchased using it before the time you rang to cancel, technically you are responsible for it and they could hold you to paying it. You should always ring ASAP when a card is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Thanks Buffy, I will remember in future. I rang the bank there just to ensure that nothing is going on, and she said they have a live system so if it is even swiped anywhere, they will know about it, and luckily enough nothing dodgy has been reported. Now I wait for my new cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Hi - you will be fine. The banks will cover all transactions that have taken place after you have reported it stolen regardless of if they can see them now or not. They can see transactions that have come in for authorisation -whether PIN or not - but if it was the old swipe machine (click clack machine) used by merchants that do not have immediate access to a phone line they will not see it until the merchant puts it thru the online system but you will still be covered.
    Dont worry you wont be liable for any spend once you call the credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If a transaction hasn't shown up because of lack of immediate access to a phone line then the transaction shouldn't go through as they'll be entering details of a stolen card

Advertisement