Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 8Gb-released tomorrow?!

• 27-11-2007 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Have been following one of these phones on adverts for a few days and today somebody reveals that the phone will be released tomorrow with a few extras!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=38294&cpage=2&perpage=15&cat=14#comment-227439

"Phones came into Vodafone stores today, I'm collecting mine tomorrow afternoon. Priced just under €600 and Comes with €80 free credit, 1 years free GPS, 3 year Nokia warranty and Spiderman III pre-installed on it."

Anybody know anything about this? I know it was supposed to be released before Christmas but I never really believed it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

pkeno wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about this? I know it was supposed to be released before Christmas but I never really believed it!

Me neither.

Anybody got info on contract pricing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭trant

Out today, €599 on prepay, €409 on Perfect Fit 600 upgrade. Not sure about new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Wonder if they're branded. Usually the high end phones are unbranded aren't they?
    Must drop into the Grafton St shop and see if there are any lying around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Wonder if they're branded. Usually the high end phones are unbranded aren't they?
    Must drop into the Grafton St shop and see if there are any lying around

do report back on your findings!

trant wrote: »
    Not sure about new connection.

419 on Perfect fit 200. Was told they had 4 in Grafton St - and that it's some sort of 'special order' item as they don't expect to sell too many of them.

They had 3 when i left...
    Wonder if they're branded.

...and there are no Vodafone markings on the housing.

• Advertisement

They are not branded or locked to Vodafone. This was also the case when the original N95 was launched, but this was only the case for a few weeks as far as I am aware. After that they were branded and locked to Vodafone.

They are not branded or locked to Vodafone.

xanthor can you confirm that they are unlocked?

Is there generic or vodafone firmware installed?

Thanks in advance

^ I'll get back to you on those questions in about 20 minutes. It's in the middle of copying a few files.

Great, looking forward to it! If its unlocked the Grafton St store will be down another one!

Guys, I posted the above comments as I have just bought two of them, and they are both unlocked and unbranded. It's generic Nokia firmware installed, not Vodafone branded in any way.

• Advertisement

Are Vodafone Ireland supporting HSDPA ? IIRC, a few weeks back it was said they aren't.

Guys, I posted the above comments as I have just bought two of them, and they are both unlocked and unbranded. It's generic Nokia firmware installed, not Vodafone branded in any way.

In lieu of answering the question i shall defer to trant. :)

xanthor wrote: »
    419 on Perfect fit 200. Was told they had 4 in Grafton St - and that it's some sort of 'special order' item as they don't expect to sell too many of them.

They had 3 when i left...

...and there are no Vodafone markings on the housing.

Are they available on Ready To Go?

The Carphone Warehouse has them on its website, Ready To Go for €549....!!!

Was just looking at a demonstration model in Grafton St there. No branding on the housing and from the short time I ws allowed play around with it I didn't see any sign of vodafone software. The guy I was talking to was fairly adamant that it was locked to vodafone, but I suppose he would be.

@trant, where did you buy your unlocked version?

@xanthor, have you had a chance to check that yours is locked?

The screen is fantastic and it's a fairly light and compact device considering what's stuffed into it. Much slimmer than my N80 anyway

It's €449 on perfect fit 100 in case anybody is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Would like to know if these phones are unlocked.

Would like to buy one RTG and use my Three Sim in it.

Then give the credit to someone else (is this possible?).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

I'm very interested, I'm on perfect fit 100.

Are these available in all vodafone stores.

Or is it really a special order :(

@xanthor, have you had a chance to check that yours is locked?

Definitely unlocked. It will accept an O2 Sim.

joedumper wrote: »
    Or is it really a special order :(

At worst that just means you have to wait a day or two for them to get the phone in stock. Initial supply may have run out - the phone has been fairly hyped.

Remember: There's a possibility the next batch may be locked and branded with Vodafone software.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

anyway to tell if its branded or not?... Is it an original Nokia box or a changed vodafone one etc???

Is it an original Nokia box or a changed vodafone one etc???

I got an original Nokia Box.

Same here, original Nokia box, but with a tiny Vodafone logo on the corner of the Spiderman 3 label on the side of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

is it worth upgrading from a n95 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

foobar wrote: »
    is it worth upgrading from a n95 ?

IMO no. The N95 with the new version 20.0.015 now performs much like the N95 8GB. I prefer having removable memory and camera lens protection on the origibal. Sandisk now offer 8 GB of removable memory and of course this will increase in future, but you'd still be stuck with a fixed capacity on the 8GB model.
    Right or wrong I keep applications on my memory card so if the phone suffers any damage at least there's something to salvage. If the N95 8GB dies, then everything is lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Any idea if o2 will be releasing this?

Nephew wrote: »
    Any idea if o2 will be releasing this?

In January apparently.

Got one on Saturday, this was from the second batch apparently and it is unlocked and unbranded. According to the salesperson 99% of the N95 8Gbs are sim free but he reckoned they'd satrt locking them soon so if you wanna get an unlocked/unbranded top of the range phone get in quick!

I switched from the N80 and am very happy with it. Screen is huge(not as sharp as my N80 screen though!). GPS works well and camera is impressive. The menu speed is great, selecting an icon opens its menu almost instantly. Battery life seems to be good also, i've been using mine all day and it's still showing full charge! Highly recommended.

I'm selling my N80 over on adverts so anyone that's interested pop over for a look!
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=39263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Going to try and get this...

Will be getting it as a business upgrade from the strore in Dundrum. Guy said it would be a 389€ upgrade, does anyone know if its still the unlocked version in dundrum? not that it really matters as it will be staying on the vodafone network...

Carphone Warehouse in Blackrock didn't have any today, so apparently it's only Vodafone stores that have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

yeah vodafone have an exclusive deal for the n95 8gb until after christmas...

Got mine today €389

GPS took forever to lock on first time but since that is <30seconds easy
    Unlocked
    has spiderman 3
    cant see the code for the 1 year free navigation.... anyone know where i can find it? Said it was in the box but i dont see it at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

nazoil wrote: »
    IMO no. The N95 with the new version 20.0.015 now performs much like the N95 8GB.

Just an aside...if you upgrade from 12.x firmware to 20.x, you will lose the tracking feature of the GPS (it's a fairly hot topic on the nokia discussion boards), and my GPS is much slower to get a lock now. I might try re-flashing it to see if that helps, but losing the tracking was a nasty side effect of having to get the new firmware for the performance upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

You have to pay to use the GPS? I thought it had a GPS receiver thingy built into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

will 3 be releasing the phone? eventhough they just got around to getting the original n95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

allen175 wrote: »
    will 3 be releasing the phone? eventhough they just got around to getting the original n95.

3 in sweden have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

yeah.. but we live in ireland :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Yakuza wrote: »
    Just an aside...if you upgrade from 12.x firmware to 20.x, you will lose the tracking feature of the GPS (it's a fairly hot topic on the nokia discussion boards), and my GPS is much slower to get a lock now. I might try re-flashing it to see if that helps, but losing the tracking was a nasty side effect of having to get the new firmware for the performance upgrades.

they just changed menu
    menu>options>use this place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Anyone know if they're still unlocked?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if they're still unlocked on vodafone payg? How are the supplies in CPW?

gpf101 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're still unlocked on vodafone payg? How are the supplies in CPW?

When i was getting my sim replaced yesterday (SIM fault - not the phone) somebody bought one as PAYG and it came in exactly the same box as mine. SO i would be inclined to say unlocked.

As for CPW, Posts 27 and 28 together should give you a fair idea of when they will have them.

Thanks. I wonder if you buy one and it happens to be locked is there any chance of returning it?

anyone know if these are still in stock and unlocked?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

got one today. Has anybody upgaded to the new firmware yet, when I try it says phone not supported

• Advertisement

I havn't actually upgraded yet but when i plugged in my phone and opened NSU it said there was new firmware available. I didn't upgrade because i will lose spiderman 3 and I havn't watched it all yet!

TCP/IP wrote: »
    when I try it says phone not supported

Same here. Though i'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

N95 8gb or a N82........... im torn.. anyone any insight, the bigger screen of the n95 8gb would be very nice, but the xenon flash in the N82 has me torn, why the hell didnt they put the xenon flash into the 8gb

TCP/IP wrote: »
    got one today. Has anybody upgaded to the new firmware yet, when I try it says phone not supported

was it unlocked?

I rang CPW today as they've got them for €549 on their website...however they said theirs are locked to Vodafone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

BArra wrote: »
    N95 8gb or a N82........... im torn.. anyone any insight, the bigger screen of the n95 8gb would be very nice, but the xenon flash in the N82 has me torn, why the hell didnt they put the xenon flash into the 8gb

I'm waiting for the n82 - for me the flash, candybar form, memory card expandability and the camera cover beat the n95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

God Damm it i wish i never clicked into this thread.

I had never even heard of the Nokia N95 and now i dont think i can live without one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

whats the deal with the n95 8gig GPS, u get the irish map free from nokia dont yah? and with its internal gps receiver u can have sat nav for free without incurring any gprs data... correct? the only cost being if you want voice guidance aswell? correct me if im wrong

anyone with one give a small review on how good it is?

There are 150 countries you can download maps for free. You can download via the PC and copy over or over 3G, i strongly recommend the PC method to save money.

With this package I got 1 year subscription to the voice guidence. It uses Navteq and teleatlas maps. It more current than my Garmin GPS unit.

Its fairly good took a bit of getting used to the way you enter addresses (you have to enter a starting point usually the current GPS position which threw me a bit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone have any solid info on when o2 will release this

• Advertisement
Advertisement