Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick tax question

Options
  • 27-11-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Bought my first car ever at the end of October (26th to be exact), but the tax from the previous owner was up in September. I want to get it all sorted out this week. So basically, am I liable for October? A mate told me I'm not, however I'm not too sure if this is true.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

not liabale for october, you should have no problems at the tax office once they see the change of ownership. you could also tell the cops it is off the road for november, they will sign a form acknowlodging this, and you wont have to pay for november. of course the car would have to have been off the road for the entire of november.

One thing though, you might not receive the tax book, or registration papers for up to 5 weeks, that's how long it took me recently

edit, get them to sign the form for november in december, when november is over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

AFAIK you pay from the day you purchased the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are liable from the begining of the month that you purchased the car. In other words you bought it on the 26th of October so you have to pay the motor tax from the 1st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz is correct. You're liable to pay tax from the first day of the month you bought the car. So you have to pay for the full month of October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Bazz is correct.

An alternative would be to get a form (available on motortax.ie) stamped in your local Garda station stating that you havent used the car since purchasing it. If you could hold out another few days, you could get the car taxed from the start of December. Thats only if you havent been using it though. Whatever you reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

mvpr wrote: »
    Bazz is correct.

An alternative would be to get a form (available on motortax.ie) stamped in your local Garda station stating that you havent used the car since purchasing it. If you could hold out another few days, you could get the car taxed from the start of December. Thats only if you havent been using it though. Whatever you reckon.

I agree even if im gonna get :eek: for this

1. download and print off https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf
    2. fill in section 5.2 (the "TO" part) : OCT 2007 (leave the from part blank)
    3. fill in section 5.3 : NOV 2007 to DEC 2007
    4. fill in section 5.6 : DEC 2007 to NOV 2008 (or wenever you want)
    5. Bring it to your local garda station on saturday :) 1 dec
    they will sign it without any questions at alll at all. if they do they are calling you a liar to your face.
    keep the form with you over the weekend and if you do get stopped then tell them it just went on the road saturday " look its signed by a guard ":)
    Go to the tax office monday morning and tax the car. I dont believe you need the regrestration cert** for to do this so long as you have all the details required on the form (chassie number will probably be the hard bit). last time i taxed the car i did not show the registration cert (**unless the car is pre 1994)
    so you saved a few bob and feel good -
    So either go and fill up the tank with the money saved or give it to charity maybe, its not as if the money is being used on the roads :mad:

and yes i have done this a few times:D. well all except the charity bit:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Thanks for all the info guys. I really have no problem paying from October on, as the car has actually been on the road since I got it, and getting to my nearest cop shop is an awful pain.

So, does this mean that I'll have to fill in the ARREARS section from Oct to Nov, then the "Tax Disk Now Required" section as Nov 07 to Nov 08 (or whenever)? Assuming I go and do all this tomorrow of course :)

Also, I'm a bit confused by the "Past Owner Period" part. Is it really ok to just fill in the "To" section as JoeySully says?

So, I don't have to fil in section 5.1 if I'm just taxing the car for the first time under my name, correct???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

gloobag wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info guys. I really have no problem paying from October on, as the car has actually been on the road since I got it, and getting to my nearest cop shop is an awful pain.

So, does this mean that I'll have to fill in the ARREARS section from Oct to Nov, then the "Tax Disk Now Required" section as Nov 07 to Nov 08 (or whenever)? Assuming I go and do all this tomorrow of course :)

Also, I'm a bit confused by the "Past Owner Period" part. Is it really ok to just fill in the "To" section as JoeySully says?

So, I don't have to fil in section 5.1 if I'm just taxing the car for the first time under my name, correct???

Cheers

I didn't fill out the form at all, just bring your insurance details, your log book and the cash with you and hand them to the person behind the desk and they'll fill them in on the pc straight from your documents, did for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Ok, I'm officially an idiot :rolleyes: I don't know where I got the idea the previous owners tax was up in September, but I actually just confirmed that it was up in May :eek:

Do I now have to declare non use from May up to October? I would think that I don't, seeing as though I only came into ownership of the car in October and the 4 months in between have nothing to do with me. I'm probably wrong here as well though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gloobag wrote: »
    Do I now have to declare non use from May up to October? I would think that I don't, seeing as though I only came into ownership of the car in October and the 4 months in between have nothing to do with me. I'm probably wrong here as well though :o

No, you're right :)

The only date relevant to the new owner (you) is the date of transfer of ownership (26/10/2007). You're liable for tax from the first day of that month (01/10/2007)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

When you go to pay, they will ask you to pay two amounts:
    • the amount of back tax (from October til the end of Novmeber or whatever)
    • from December for 3/6/12 months

Thats what happened me anyway...

Advertisement