Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New vehicles

• 27-11-2007 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

i was just wondering what are the recent precurments by the pdf of vehicle.
    also a few quetions and your views

1:is the amls to be replaced in the next few years or has there been a tender but out for it.

2:has the new mowags with 30mm cannons delivered yet,and how many of them wer purchased

3:i heard that the pdf were to buy some mowags with 105mm and if so when would they be in service and what will they replace

4:i also seen a while back that they were looking for ltav's has there been some purchased,ordered or are they stil looking

its not just for my intrest just a general topic for everyboby as we seem not 2 discuss or equipment in any way but i am only a noob so it could of been talked about a while back :D

thanks Eamonn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I think its a yes to Q's 2 & 3 and 1 i dont know and 4 i dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

1. Yes. No idea with what yet.

2. Yes. Six of them.

3. Not true.

4. The competition was cancelled as the DF decided that none of the submitted vehicles met their needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Tribunius wrote: »
    1. Yes. No idea with what yet.

2. Yes. Six of them.

3. Not true.

4. The competition was cancelled as the DF decided that none of the submitted vehicles met their needs.

1:When the amls are being replaced what do you expect them 2 go for

2:Which units did they go to was it the cav? and the rws mowags did they go to infantry and what are thay fitted with

3:Thats a shame i think we could do with mowags with that kind of fire power or any vehicle with that kind of fire power,what do ye think?

4:Will the competition started again,as the nissans are seriously lacking armour(none at all)

1. There are no vehicles that are a suitable replacement at this time.

2. They all went to the 1 ACS. They are running the training program for them. All of the new mowags are for use by the cav most likely over seas. It should be noted that the ones fitted with the rws's are called close reconnaissance vehicles and the 30mm armed ones medium reconnaissance vehicles.

3. It would be useful especially with the looming demise of the 90mm armed aml's but its not likely to happen.

4. It will after a few years. The DF decided to let the market mature before doing it again. Also there are a very small number of armoured nissans in service. They are not assigned to any particular unit though.

Tribunius wrote: »
    1. There are no vehicles that are a suitable replacement at this time.

2. They all went to the 1 ACS. They are running the training program for them. All of the new mowags are for use by the cav most likely over seas. It should be noted that the ones fitted with the rws's are called close reconnaissance vehicles and the 30mm armed ones medium reconnaissance vehicles.

3. It would be useful especially with the looming demise of the 90mm armed aml's but its not likely to happen.

4. It will after a few years. The DF decided to let the market mature before doing it again. Also there are a very small number of armoured nissans in service. They are not assigned to any particular unit though.

1:I would think the 105mm mowags would be suitable to replace the amls,but as you said its not likly to happen but something will hav to replace them at some stage

2:Are the nissians well armoured or is it just light armour

3:the scorpians are an age vehicle i doubt theres any plans to replace or accompany them with something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Armoured Nissans... god wept. They must be a total dog on the road.

Anyone know what level - B6? Who armoured them? in house?

Anyone in the market for similar will find these guys peerless:

http://www.stoof-international.de/

1. Nah the 105mm are really too big for the job that the aml's do. But then again will have to wait and see exactly what the new ones will be used for.

2. Not sure but even if I did this is not the place to be talking about it. They were armoured by an unspecified outsider. That kind of work could not be done in house.

3. The only reason we still have them is the DF wants to keep the skill base there in case its ever needed.

would if be visble to use the scorpions overseas

why not just buy some more light tanks to accompany the scorpions?

It was considered for the Liberia deployment. I think it was ruled out due to cost and support issues.

What would you suggest? There isn't really anything in the scorpions class any more. Also operating a tracked vehicle costs a hell of a lot more than a wheeled one. And besides its not necessary the mowags are proving to be an excellent buy. They were able to travel roads (and I use that term lightly) that the CV90's of the swedes struggled with in Liberia.

yeah it makes sense to have the vehicle like the mowag have a number of differant role,which cuts down on cost,support,maintneance

• Advertisement

do the army still have the xa family of vehicles if so what kinds just the apcs version

Advertisement