Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferry Interesting.....

• 27-11-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

How's about a thread on ferries? Maybe if and when lots of info comes together the Mod could make it a sticky?

My couple of bits of info:

Get to know the less than obvious ferries.

I've used Stena from Larne to Troon - avoids that tedious haul from Stranraer etc - and if you book the right sailing it's quite competitive. Used the Isle of Man SteamPacket fast ferry to Scotland too but I think that's gone?

But my biggest surprise was to discover the Freight oriented operators like P&O Irish Sea, Norfolk Line (Was NorseMerchant) - both Dublin - Liverpool, and Celtic Link - Rosslare - Cherbourg.

So what's so good about them? Well for us, usually just the 2 of us and a dog or two they are ideal. They are designed for truckers but take campers and cars. Food is FREE and not bad at all - all you can eat breakfast, and serve yourself hot meal in evening. As they are long trips you would be best to take a cabin - dead cheap in the daytime sailings. It's brill to to be loaded with the trucks - lots of headroom - there are few if any screaming kids around your feet, most of the passengers are working so there are few if any drunks, and having stuffed your face you can retire to get 7-ish hours of sleep. NO bozos running round being hilarious banging on your door or being sick in the corridor etc. Leisurely shower, look at the scenery (working docks are fascinating), read a book or watch a DVD on your laptop - then stuff your face again and away onto the highway. Often where these ferries end up is closer to the motorway than the 'normal' ferries.

Truckers of course are interested in vans, know where the nearest/cheapest diesel is, where the speed traps are, where the friendliest motorway stops are etc. - trust me, you will feel so much more at ease on these ferries that on any of the floating bars/gambling joints run by Stena, unIrish Ferries or Brittany.

Ordinary ferries:

Big disappointment that Swansea - Cork Ferries seem to have bit the dust - that was a very civilised way to get back to civilisation (ie Cork).

Don't go Calais-Dover, at least not unless you have booked well in advance or over the internet - they will screw you if you arrive on spec.
    There is some great competition for Calais just few miles down the coast Boulogne - Dover with SpeedFerries - great prices.

Also - if in Northern Germany it may make sense to go from one of the Danish ports to North or East England - will be an overnight but the M25 and London is well worth avoiding. Again - book on the net, and out of season the price may well be cheaper than the fuel used in driving down to France. I got charged MORE for Calais- Dover alone than a North Sea crossing would have cost if I'd only known..... However - don't forget they don't use the Euro in Denmark!

db

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One ferry I found quite handy for a quick dash (like bringing a camper back from Germany :D) is the Rotterdam-Hull route. Leaves in the evening and arrives early in the morning at both ends ...this means you can easily make the crossing to/from Holyhead on the same day without any panic.

Not cheap though.

But especially for bringing something back from Germany it's good. You can get to Rotterdam from anywhere in Germany in a day, arriving in good time for the ferry, have a good nights sleep, drive another 5 hours, catch the ferry in Holyhead in the afternoon and make it home (even in the wesht) before midnight ...all relatively relaxed without too much driving.

@dowtchaboy
    Whats the story with dog(s) on the Rosslare-Cherbourg ferry?
    Can you bring them at all? And if so, where do they stay/get fed/do their "business" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

@dowtchaboy How cheap is cheap on the celtic link ferry??

Just checked. Irish Ferries is cheaper for the dates I chose next year to France by over €300:eek: BTW a car is the same price as a MH on Irish ferries. It's €842 for a car on Celtic link.

Celtic Link ferries. Rosslare-Cherbourg €892 return for 2 adults and 2 kids and MH

Irish Ferries. Roslare-Roscoff €538 return for the same.

The total price of your tickets will be 892.00 EUR
    Route 1 - Route Details
    Route 1 : Rosslare to Cherbourg
    Departure Date/Time: Tue 27 May 2008 at 2000
    Arrival Date/Time: Wed 28 May 2008 at 1530
    Passengers: 2 Adults 2 Children
    Transport: Motorhome
    Accommodation: 1 of 4 Berth Cabin En Suite
    Route 2 - Route Details
    Route 2 : Cherbourg to Rosslare
    Departure Date/Time: Sun 08 June 2008 at 1700
    Arrival Date/Time: Mon 09 June 2008 at 1200
    Passengers: 2 Adults 2 Children
    Transport: Motorhome
    Accommodation: 1 of 4 Berth Cabin En Suite

Route Rosslare to Roscoff Cherbourg to Rosslare
    Vessel Cruise Cruise
    Date Wed 28-May-08 Tue 10-Jun-08
    Time Departing 17:00 Arriving 10:00 Departing 19:00 Arriving 11:30
    Passengers Adult x 2
    Child 4-15 years x 2
    Adult x 2
    Child 4-15 years x 2
    Vehicles Camper/Dormobile/Minibus over 2.4m high
    Camper/Dormobile/Minibus over 2.4m high
    Cabins 2 star 4 bed x 1
    Total Price € 538.00

Was just checking the Isle of Man Ferries. They are quite strict on the dimensions of vehicles. Over 6.5m long/3m high/3 tonnes are not allowed on some ferries of the Isle of Man Steam packet company.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Peasant - looking back over my ferry journeys (since I got the WoMo fever 4 years ago) I realise I have never brought my dogs abroad so I can't answer your question. My foreign trips in Ivana B have all been shortish trips to get something done or to bring kids to University or something - never a holiday. Always found seeing dogs being left in cages below decks distressing....
    I didn't realise (till I looked it up today) that pets can stay in vehicles and be visited (at the crew's discretion) during the trip. Pity we owners can't stay in the vans too - kills me to leave my nice comfortable van to go (and pay for) sleeping in a cabin! I gather some ferries abroad, where the vehicle is carried on top deck in the open, do allow this. I suppose the fact that you and your pets) can remain in the van while travelling on EuroTunnel is an advantage - haven't used this method yet. At €150 to €300 one way it ain't cheap though.
    db

(well it IS a ferry.....) This may apply to other small ferries too:
    The ferries to Beare Island, Cork, (incredibly there are 2 separate ferry routes) are tiny - hold about 6 cars max. When we used it we were told they would take only one camper per trip so if you arrive in convoy you could have quite a wait. Also you could find someone else, who knows the score, slips in ahead of you while you wait politely for something to happen. What you must do, if you arrive before the incoming ferry, is BACK UP to the ferry ramp, not so far as to block the people coming off, but far enough to 'stake your claim'. You will be reversing on to the ferry and driving forward off it. Watch out - depending on the tide the metal ramp angle at the top may be acute enough to scrape the bottom of your camper, and at the bottom may scrape your bumper. Take it handy, like.

It's worth checking with a local as to how things work. In some places the ferry operator will drive your van on/off.

Oh and don't forget to have fun - people on Beare are very nice.! They'll know you - you're the guy with the tax disc....
    db.

• Advertisement

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Peasant - looking back over my ferry journeys (since I got the WoMo fever 4 years ago) I realise I have never brought my dogs abroad so I can't answer your question.

Except for one trip across the Irish sea to collect a dog :rolleyes: ours have never been abroad either. Neither have we, as leaving the dogs behind when going camping is not really an option.

Was hoping there might be some new rules on the French route (and it is good that you can leave your dogs in the vehicle and go to see them), but they only transport pets on the outbound journey and not back again :eek:

So ...no French holiday for the doggies.

Peasant - far as I can make out from the websites the problem is with the port rather than the ferry companies - maybe Roscoff doesn't have the veterinary inspection set up? Irish Ferries WILL carry pets to Ireland - from Cherbourg only though.
    I presume it should also be possible to return to Ireland via UK though are you then into further paperwork or do they recognise Irish certifications?

db

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

We travelled with Celtic Link last year and I have to say that the overall experience was very good. This is a no frills boat but you are guaranteed good food, good nights sleep and no messing by over-indulged alcohol enthusiasts......all included in your ticket price

We had 2 kids with us (oldest was 3) and we were caught a little off guard on the way over as there was no "entertainment" facilities for kids. Lesson learned on the way back and we brought on a few small toys and things worked out fine

Will certainly be looking at travelling with them again

The down side is that the boat gets into France mid - late afternoon so we found that the night stop off had to be spent reasonably close to Cherbourg (didnt want to drive through the night:D)

Celtic Link certainly gets my vote

Malta1 wrote: »
    We travelled with Celtic Link last year and I have to say that the overall experience was very good. This is a no frills boat but you are guaranteed good food, good nights sleep and no messing by over-indulged alcohol enthusiasts......all included in your ticket price

We had 2 kids with us (oldest was 3) and we were caught a little off guard on the way over as there was no "entertainment" facilities for kids. Lesson learned on the way back and we brought on a few small toys and things worked out fine

Will certainly be looking at travelling with them again

The down side is that the boat gets into France mid - late afternoon so we found that the night stop off had to be spent reasonably close to Cherbourg (didnt want to drive through the night:D)

Celtic Link certainly gets my vote

Did you find it cheaper than the other available options for the time you travelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

when doing the dover calais route I always find that Norfolklink Dover Dunkerque is the cheapest option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

What's the advice on Ferries to the UK - we'll be going over once or twice a year to visit family and friends.

We'll be heading to the north west (outside Mcr) but are setting off from Cork). Not too bothered where we end up, just looking for cheapest route.

If this posting looks strange - trying to do it from blackberry, which boards.ie isn't too friendly for!!

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

To Kol

It was only a few quid in the difference based ont he ticket price but when you put food etc on top of the non Celtic Link price, Celtic Link won hands down.......we sailed during the last week in May and returned at the end of the 1st week of june

Hi Chris - dunno about cheapest route - ferry costs vary wildly depending on season, day/night sailing, special offers, length or height of your WoMo, number of passengers (sometimes van + 1, sometimes includes whole family) etc. Alas sometimes the headline-grabbing deals don't apply to campers....

I must admit I am biased - having lived in Dumpland for 10 years then commuted to it for another 10 I try to avoid it at all times. Even when I travel there I tend to use the South Coast road across to Waterford and Enniscorthy before swinging up through Wicklow as it's much more interesting so I am not the best person to ask about most economic or efficient routes.

However - a very easy route is Cork - Dublin Port - then either P&O or Norfolk to Liverpool - that leaves you (particularly P&O) close to the motorway and less than an hour from Manchester.
    Disadvantage, as I recall, is that they leave Dublin Port about 10 a.m. and p.m. which means you have to be careful not to get caught up in Dublin rush hour. The daytime sailing is the cheap one (cabin is cheap too).

Rosslare to Fishguard, or Pembroke (shorter, if you can put up with the bad service from Irish Ferries) then across via M4 and up M5 is smooth enough. You could cut across and avoid the tolls on the Bridge (applicable coming West only) but I wouldn't recommend trying to shortcut through central Wales.

Last year fuel was about 40% more expensive in UK than here though so factor the extra UK miles into it.

The Rosslare ferries used to have lots of cheap deals but I noticed last year that they got more expensive at times than the ex-Dublin ones.

db.

Those of you in Norn Iron might be interested in a well-kept secret - there's a ferry from Warrenpoint to Haysham called SeaTruck - it's 99% freight but they will take non-commercial on request. Not sure if they take campervans - don't see why not though.

There's a rumour that they may be launching a Dublin - Liverpool service next year - again can't tell if they will take cars or campers.

Here's the link- let us know how you got on:

http://www.seatruckferries.com/web/seatruck.nsf/content/wwww6y6dkv?OpenDocument

are quoting £180 return for car + 2 people and cabin + free food + 2 drinks each!

db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We've used Irish Ferries and Celtic Ferries over the past few years,
    In my oppinion Celtic Link were far superior, Staff were excellent and there wasn't a need to hand our huge amounts on food.
    Celtic proved the most relaxing too as there wasn't the crowds scrambeling for seats etc. We brought DVD player and lot's of entertainment for the kids.

Last February when booking and they were both looking for around €1400 (2adults, 2kids) for an Early July to end July Sailing.

We then decided Irish Ferries (Roslare-Pembrook), drove to NewHaven and got a sailing NewHaven-LaDieppe, arrived, gave them £80 and sailed 30mins later.
    Returning we arrived in Le-Havre, stayed overnight in an Aire next to ferry port, paid £100 to sail back to Portsmonth.

This worked well for us and cost about €700 for ferries total. Travelling time was about 12hrs each way with options to stop at leisure.

An advantage using the UK as a land-link is that the UK schools finish late for the summer and the ferry prices remain quiet low 'till end of July.

Malta1 wrote: »
    To Kol

It was only a few quid in the difference based ont he ticket price but when you put food etc on top of the non Celtic Link price, Celtic Link won hands down.......we sailed during the last week in May and returned at the end of the 1st week of june

Cheers. Thats around the time I would be going. However at a difference of around €350 I'll be sticking to Irish ferries. The sailing times are better on Irish ferries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I used Celtic link 2 years ago and the journey was ok but the smell of the cowsh*t was terrible and put me off my free lunch!!!

When I checked prices last year they were €200 dearer than I. F. so I gave them a miss as I was also not too confident when I saw the size of the ship next to the Irish Ferries one which was quite old and dirty but the NEW one they have well no really S/H would be more apt should be better this year so may give it a go.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

*Kol* wrote: »
    Was just checking the Isle of Man Ferries. They are quite strict on the dimensions of vehicles. Over 6.5m long/3m high/3 tonnes are not allowed on some ferries of the Isle of Man Steam packet company.:(

That is because they use two small fast ferries on all the Dublin and Belfast sailings that can't take anything bigger. AFAIR only the Heysham route has a conventional ferry that will take large vans/trucks.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Those of you in Norn Iron might be interested in a well-kept secret - there's a ferry from Warrenpoint to Haysham called SeaTruck - it's 99% freight but they will take non-commercial on request. Not sure if they take campervans - don't see why not though.

There's a rumour that they may be launching a Dublin - Liverpool service next year - again can't tell if they will take cars or campers.

Here's the link- let us know how you got on:

http://www.seatruckferries.com/web/seatruck.nsf/content/wwww6y6dkv?OpenDocument

are quoting £180 return for car + 2 people and cabin + free food + 2 drinks each!

db.
    I may need to apologise for suggesting the above - did you see the stranded SeaTruck ferry Riverdance on TV news tonight - scary stuff!
    Even if you didn't go in the sea, those containers sliding about would have crushed your van! With the boat listing at 60% and tthose conditions those poor passengers must have been seasick and terrified.

Won't be taking that line - well not unless conditions are very mild.
    db.

It's wrong to suggest that seatruck should not be used due to this incident. It's akin to saying that peple should not fly with British Airways anymore because of the crash they had the other week.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daddyderek

is it my imaganation or has ferry prices come down taking a car and caravan to wales in the middle of july price return was 526 euros the caravan is 7 mtrs long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

peasant wrote: »
    Except for one trip across the Irish sea to collect a dog :rolleyes: ours have never been abroad either. Neither have we, as leaving the dogs behind when going camping is not really an option.

Was hoping there might be some new rules on the French route (and it is good that you can leave your dogs in the vehicle and go to see them), but they only transport pets on the outbound journey and not back again :eek:

So ...no French holiday for the doggies.

We always took our scottie girl through the UK to France, never had any problems, unfortunately, she died last September. I do know people who have brought their dog directly to France with Irish Ferries, you must have the dog micro-chipped, they must have a pet passport etc etc and you have to pre-book the dog as there are only a few kennels available, you can make arrangements to visit them in the kennels. You can bring them back through France but only through Cherbourg as there is no facility to check them through in Roscoff. I have heard some good and some bad experiences, that's why we always went the Landbridge route, but that was a personal choice. We booked Irish Ferries going out on 5 July, back 11 August with 6m campervan, 2 adults, trailer with motorbike and cabin out and back for €1000.

If you go to the Irish Ferries website,click on FAQs and search for info on travelling with pets, everything you need to know is there. Let me know if I can give you any info on Landbridge route. We would never leave our girl here either, she always travelled with us wherever we went abroad and here, the three of us always went to France for Christmas in the van and for 6 weeks to Europe in the summer. :(

The thing with the landbridge route is that it adds a lot of additional driving and two extra days (out & back) to your holiday. Plus rushing through England to catch a ferry is not my favourite thing to do to start or end a holiday. Fine, if you have time on your hands but for a two week holiday it's too much hassle ...in my opinion anyway

The thing with the landbridge route is that it adds a lot of additional driving and two extra days (out & back) to your holiday. Plus rushing through England to catch a ferry is not my favourite thing to do to start or end a holiday. Fine, if you have time on your hands but for a two week holiday it's too much hassle ...in my opinion anyway

I don'tknow why, but I was under the impression that landbridge could be quicked than the direct ferry to France? If not then what's the attaction for anybody to use the landbridge route??

Technically speaking it's probably much of a muchness which route you take.

But sitting on a ferry for 18 hours = relaxing ...driving on congested English motorways under time pressure doesn't

Arriving in rural Normandy = holiday ...arriving in Calais with another long slog to where France starts being nice doesn't

not to me anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

But sitting on a ferry for 18 hours = relaxing

I wish I was of the same opinion, it's not nice in rocky waters :(

But sitting on a ferry for 18 hours = relaxing ...driving on congested English motorways under time pressure doesn't

Arriving in rural Normandy = holiday ...arriving in Calais with another long slog to where France starts being nice doesn't

not to me anyways

Me either. I was thinking about looking into leaving England from Poole or Plymouth? It would be a shorter drive from Pembroke if nothing else. It would depend on the timing of the ferries if there was anything to gain by going this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We did the landlink last year and it worked great, Roslare to Pembrook, stopped a couple of days in England and sailed from NewHaven to LeHavre. Arrived in NewHaven and booked ticket at ferry terminal and was sailing 40mins later. Did similiar on return, booked at ferry terminal in Lehavre and sailed back to PortsMonth. All in all it worked out well, only advanced booked the IrishFerries routes. Total cost was around €750 plus diesel etc.
    If you're not in any rush and dont mind the driving then it's worth considering. In theory you could do it in aroud 12-13hrs each way, you're constantly moving and seeing different sights.
    There's an excellent aire in LeHavre next to the marina and close to the City and the Ferry.
    This year we've opted the IrishFerries Roslare-Cherburg route as we're hoping to visit Italy/Switzerland and want limit driving. Irish ferries has worked out at €1200 for sailings in July/Aug

• Advertisement

not to me anyways

We usually take the 2115 sailing to Fishguard, overnight in the car park and leave the next morning at 730, it takes 7-7 1/2 hours including a rest stop to drive to Dover. We usually book a ferry going at 1700, if you arrive earlier you can change your sailing usually costs about £10. The only congestion can be on the M25 around London, but to be honest we have only had a problem with traffic once and we have been doing the drive for 5 years, summer and winter. A full tank of diesel takes us from Rosslare to Dover and we fill up there before we sail. There are two areas in Calais where you can overnight if you want, we usually drive for an hour, 1 1/2 hours and then park up. There are loads of aires where you can overnight on the way down south. If you go to www.outdoorbits.co.uk they have all the aire de service books for each of the regions in France.

Advertisement