Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Centre :-)

• 27-11-2007 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Does anyone know which of these shopping centres will be open first? :D
    Ferrybank, Newgate, Six Cross Road, the one on the Cork road? :rolleyes:
    Or what shops will be there? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The one on the butlerstown roundabout is due open in Feb 08, the Six Cross roads one is finished but seem to have no tenants lines up. Ferrybank is due for Sept 08 and is ahead of schedule. Newgate, lets wait and see if it get the go ahead first.

B&Q are confirmed for Butlerstown, as are Harvey Normans and Land of Leather. Also looking like Reids furniture are also looking at a unit out there.

Dunnes Stores are the anchor tenants in Ferrybank, with anther 36 retail units to be filled. No names as of yet, but according to the developer, a number of UK high street stores have made enquiries to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Aquos76 wrote: »
    B&Q are confirmed for Butlerstown, as are Harvey Normans and Land of Leather. Also looking like Reids furniture are also looking at a unit out there.

Did I hear someone also saying that TK Maxx was opening there?

Dunnes Stores are the anchor tenants in Ferrybank, with anther 36 retail units to be filled.

That's more than City Square, right? I reckon a lot of the shops that will open in Ferrybank will do so because they can't find retail space in the city centre. What a mess the city council have made of their retail provision. They can give out all they like about KK county council, but it's our city council's fault for not beating them to the punch.

A lot of shops will probably end up having their Waterford outlets in Co Kilkenny as a result of this. How fscked up is that? :rolleyes:

Imagine if Virgin or someone else already in McDonagh Junction opens there. I can just see the headlines in the KK People: "Second Virgin Megastore For Kilkenny".

Dear God...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Oh yeah TK Maxx, forgot about them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What about Railway Square? Its empty apart from the cinema!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

fricatus wrote: »
    Imagine if Virgin or someone else already in McDonagh Junction opens there. I can just see the headlines in the KK People: "Second Virgin Megastore For Kilkenny".
    And in the Waterford papers, "Two Virigins found In KK - Search Continues For Wise Men." :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

That's more than City Square, right? I reckon a lot of the shops that will open in Ferrybank will do so because they can't find retail space in the city centre. What a mess the city council have made of their retail provision. They can give out all they like about KK county council, but it's our city council's fault for not beating them to the punch.

Image001.jpg

For those who don’t read upthedesie, this is a picture I took of a page of the retail section of the 1994 Waterford city development plan. I happened upon it in the Waterford Room of the Central Library. This line jumped out at me

…….it is considered by the planning authority that no large scale additions to the city centre shopping floorspace is required during the period of the plan……….

I thought to myself, to understand the present you have to understand the past. City Square was just after opening and the city council thought that was enough. It seems like there was very little vision in this document. Where was the ambition to cement the cities position as the retail capital of the southeast by increasing the retail offering further? I fully understand that it was a very different economic situation but it was the same for Galway, Limerick & Cork and they didn’t rest on their loral’s. We are paying for this lack of vision now. The city council must never learn. The lesson of needing to continuously progress as a city doesn’t seem to get through to city hall until we are falling behind. When we caught up with City Square, we stood still and let our competitors catch up with us again. When I walked home and saw the same level of shopping around me that there was in 1994 I understood why now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Can't wait to see how these places fare. It's nice to see Waterford packing a punch in contention to the other major cities. It really is amazing though how much we've developed in the last 10 years or so. I'm currently away in college and only get home once every few months. I have great craic spotting the little changes when I get back!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Upthedeise07

The one on the butlerstown roundabout is due open in Feb 08, the Six Cross roads one is finished but seem to have no tenants lines up. Ferrybank is due for Sept 08 and is ahead of schedule. Newgate, lets wait and see if it get the go ahead first.

Dunnes Stores are the anchor tenants in Ferrybank, with anther 36 retail units to be filled. No names as of yet, but according to the developer, a number of UK high street stores have made enquiries to him.

That sounds brilliant! We won't know ourselves with all those shops!!
    Pity it will take so long...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

+1
    im DYING to know what exactly is going in the smaller retail units in ferrybank, hopefully it will save me facing to HORRIBLE dual carrigeway evert sat am! its a surprise tho that no *****s have got around other than dunnes, specially if its uk retailers that are interested, im hoping though that it will be mainly a good selection of actual clothes shops, not just juice bars, and other silly stuff!!! (obsessed clothesaholic, sorry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

think i read in the kilkenny voice few months ago the line up for the ferrybank shopping centre will be along the lines of mac donagh junction in kilkenny, dunnes, tk maxx, river island, next, barratts shoes, mexx, sisley,virgin, champion sports ect ect...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I heard Penneys are closing their premises in the City centre and also argos.Pennys is moving to ferrybank SC and Argos to the ORR.This is not good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

Penneys will be replace by Brown Thomas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mad man wrote: »
    I heard Penneys are closing their premises in the City centre and also argos.Pennys is moving to ferrybank SC and Argos to the ORR.This is not good news.

Source?

I cant see either moving, considering Penneys just asked to get permission to extend. Argos does great business in Waterford where it is, moving to the ORR will loose a lot of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's been a planning notice on the door of Argos since September or October 06 indicating that they were converting it to an Argos Extra, specifically to erect Argos Extra signage. Would such a notice normally be up for over a year? I just wonder if they may leave that as it is and open an Argos Extra on the OOR instead.

hopefully it will save me facing to HORRIBLE dual carrigeway evert sat am!

Which dual carriageway? Ferrybank? Surely it's not that bad on a Saturday?

Seriously though, I'm forever hearing from colleagues up in KK that they perceive Waterford as a far-away place, hard to access, more so almost than Dublin. I mean, on my way home it takes me 1 hour to get from KK to Waterford city centre at rush hour, and if I want to stop in town, there's plenty of parking up behind Aldi. A ten-minute walk and you're in the centre of town. All inter-county slagging aside, why does this perception persist?
    think i read in the kilkenny voice few months ago the line up for the ferrybank shopping centre will be along the lines of mac donagh junction in kilkenny, dunnes, tk maxx, river island, next, barratts shoes, mexx, sisley,virgin, champion sports ect ect...............

TK Maxx are apparently opening in Butlerstown, River Island are reopening in City Square, Next are in CSQ and Ardkeen, Barratts are in CSQ, right? Are they going to duplicate their presence in the Waterford area?
    mad man wrote: »

Are you sure they're closing? Could they not just each be opening a second outlet in the Waterford area? Both shops have more than one outlet in Galway and Limerick as far as I remember, so it would not be surprising if they had more than one in Waterford.

Like Sully said... source? But if this was true, then all our Christmases - in terms of retail - will have come at once. BT is a massive draw, and would act as a magnet for other retailers, Newgate Centre or no Newgate Centre. But wellboy76, please don't tease us with rumours if you've nothing to back them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's v true fricatus..on an average/okay traffic day I can easily do Dublin in an hour and half or more...Waterford less than half the distance away and not possible to do in under 40 mins. And neither the N10/9 or N78 roads are anything special ging to Dublin, far from it in fact. But still way better than what lies south of Danesfort!
    Inevitably you WILL get caught behind a truck. This greatly hampers it as a destinationm for shopping, tourism and trade.
    The N9 will make Waterford immeasurably more accessible and you will find many more people from KK and the midlands discovering Waterford. Same way as Galway and Limerick act as hubs for their regions.

mfitzy wrote: »
    The N9 will make Waterford immeasurably more accessible and you will find many more people from KK and the midlands discovering Waterford.

That's the hope mfitzy...

Interesting to see ads on the exit barriers in the Ormonde car park in KK for Waterford Airport. Expect to see a massive growth in traffic out of the airport when the road access from KK - and even Carlow - improves. There's always been this thing that Waterford Airport was "built in the wrong place", which is of course crap - it's built right between Waterford and Tramore, the biggest population concentration in the SE - but it is true that accessing it has been difficult for people outside East Waterford. However the outer ring road is in place now, the airport road is in the middle of a big upgrade, the new bridge is being built, and the southern part at least of the M9 is about halfway complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Sully wrote: »
    Source?

I cant see either moving, considering Penneys just asked to get permission to extend. Argos does great business in Waterford where it is, moving to the ORR will loose a lot of business.

I'm not going to disclose the source other than to say he/she is a senior member of the chamber of commerce.

The key thing about penneys "asking" for permission is just that.They asked and it was objected to as usual.The penneys store as is is not suitable for what they want.The penneys store in Waterford is a dwarf compared to the stores that are appearing even in towns smaller than Waterford.That is why the Newgate development is so important because it will facilitate the type of stores that will create the footfall and primacy of the city centre.People seem to forget these stores are not charities their bottom line is economics and they don't respect planning strategies.If Penneys can get a more suitable premises in Ferrybank then they will go for it.

Argos are doing great business as you say.But again they operate on maximising business.The fact is they will do better business out in the ORR because they will have access to parking.Most of the Argos stores are in retail parks anyway or else Shopping centres with multi storey parking.A huge part of their business is flat pack furniture and electrical goods.Waterford seems to be an exception being in the middle of a pedestrian zone.Also the store in JR square is probably not large enough to accomodate the requirements for the Argos extra store.I believe a poster here or maybe on another site heard that they were opening one of these.I hope my source is wrong and simply assumed that because they were opening such a store on the ORR that they were closing the CC one.But if he is right then this is really bad news for the city centre because of the footfalls these places generate.

If as has been suggested Brown Thomas was locating in JR square then this would be great.However Penneys would still be a loss to the City centre and a long term goal should be to keep them there.

I didnt mean names, I just wanted to know how important this person is to believe it.

I know Pennys went and appealed, what happened to the appeal? Accepted/Rejected?

That's the hope mfitzy...

Interesting to see ads on the exit barriers in the Ormonde car park in KK for Waterford Airport. Expect to see a massive growth in traffic out of the airport when the road access from KK - and even Carlow - improves. There's always been this thing that Waterford Airport was "built in the wrong place", which is of course crap - it's built right between Waterford and Tramore, the biggest population concentration in the SE - but it is true that accessing it has been difficult for people outside East Waterford. However the outer ring road is in place now, the airport road is in the middle of a big upgrade, the new bridge is being built, and the southern part at least of the M9 is about halfway complete.

Can someone explain the new road to the Airport from the ORR? It just seems a little messy. Its like its going to be wide on one side, then cross over to the other side, and then back again? It doesnt seem a dead straight road.. like, there are houses in the middle of it..

Also, the road from Tramore to the Airport is terrible and extremely dangerous. Its used a lot, espically for tourists in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

As regards Penneys I had heard recently that because the city council dragged their heels about allowing Penneys to remove the mock Tudor front of Egans, they decided they would open their grade 1 store out in Ferrybank and keep the old store as a bargain basement/sale type shop. Seems there's more supportive hearsay about the former, anyone else hear anything more on the latter?

Advertisement