Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunting pheasants

• 27-11-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what cartridges do you recommend for shooting pheasants?

Ely grand prix any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Noone in here yet Bond, you're only seeing this forum 'cos you're a mod in another forum :)
    We have to tidy up charters and who's modding what and so forth yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

As a service to a fellow mod , i'll say #6 Shot :)
    Yes Eley are fine ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

35gr 7's from rc i find good for them.and have being shooting them for 2-3 years now there good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does anyone have an opinion on using a different shot # in each barrel?

And what do the difference actually mean in the field, where does #5, #6, #7 differ. Which situations suit each?

Opinions please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Ely grand prix any good?[/QUOTE]

The answer you require is yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Mellor wrote: »

And what do the difference actually mean in the field, where does #5, #6, #7 differ. Which situations suit each?

Opinions please

My understanding of the difference is the size of the grains of lead in the cartridge is related to the shot number ie #5 cartridge will have larger size of grains than a #6 etc etc. This also means the larger the grains the less will be contained in a cartridge.
    I could happily use #9,7 for snipe
    #7,5 for pheasant, rabbit
    #7,6 for woodcock
    #5,4 for duck
    each time using the higher # in the first barell because for your second shot the target should be further away from you. Hope that helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Oh STOP SHOOTING POOR ANIMALS FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!!

FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Gibbins123 wrote: »

I presume you didn't read the charter then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Mellor wrote: »

I use 32 or 34gr 7's & an open choke (I have a semi auto) when shooting pigeon & crow & I would use the same on a pheasant or duck If I could find one round my way. This gives me a wider range to hit the target in flight.

Rabbits I use 4's or 5's again 32 or 34gr on a closed choke. Foxes 52gr 3' Magnums also on a closed choke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chuileog wrote: »
    My understanding of the difference is the size of the grains of lead in the cartridge is related to the shot number ie #5 cartridge will have larger size of grains than a #6 etc etc. This also means the larger the grains the less will be contained in a cartridge.
    #7,6 for woodcock
    #5,4 for duck
    each time using the higher # in the first barell because for your second shot the target should be further away from you. Hope that helps..
    I've always used #6,#5 for pheasent.

I probably wasn't clear in my previous post, I understand the different number and refering to size of pellet. Shot selection is linked to quarry,
    but I want to know how does a #5 and a #7 differ in terms of distribution at a given distance. Which has the largest spread at the same distance, or are they even with the higher number have more (albeit smaller) pellets in the same area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As foxhunter said, you should have read the Charter, as you would also have seen that SHOUTING is frowned upon here too.
    If you wish to debate the ethics of hunting, please present your arguments in a rational manner.

Infraction given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I don't shoot animals for entertainment firstly because I don't have an audience when I hunt unless you count a mentally retarded labrador and a couple of fellow shooters as being an audience. And second because the animal's don't perform consistently, some refuse to drop or fall when shot at :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

And second because the animal's don't perform consistently, some refuse to drop or fall when shot at

I see your problem.... you're only shooting at them ;)

I use 36gr 6s for Pheasant, 7 1/2s for Snipe, and 36gr 6s for Duck too.
    For duck I don't mind using heavier like 4s if I had them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

what did you expect to find people talking about in the "HUNTING" forum ?? (the clue was in the name) .
    now to quote your good self "find something better to do" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Chuileog Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mellor

Opinions please

#7,6 for woodcock
    #5,4 for duck

This is good advise. It was the way I was taught to shoot.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What do you do if you are operating from a single barrell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Make sure you hit it with the first shot:p

All you can do is split the differance based on the game you are shooting and the type of country you are shooting in.
    i.e. Heavy cover means the bird will probably be close with it rises, in open country phesant will run other game may rises at a greater distance so you need to be prepared for a further range shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You mean they don't have money ? At all ? Ever ? Explains why there is never money in their pockets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

You mean they don't have money ? At all ? Ever ? Explains why there is never money in their pockets :D

:D:D:D:D, maybe miss Gibbins could stick to what she knows an help the poor little critters with their accounts.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Number 5's in the left barrel and #6 in the right, or #5's in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

i would always use remington shurshot cartridges.

in a 12g semi-auto beretta, i would use a number 6/7 for pheasant

and in a 16g side x side, i use number 8's and 6/7

never get a misfire. think it's the 32 grm ones i use, will check

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Eley Alphamax 32g are very good,quite expensive though,i usually use a 6 for pheasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And what is suitable for ducks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A 32gr or 36gr 4 to 6 in 12gauge. If you're flighting use the heavier load ( style RC34 or similar ). An infallable wisdom from my old man though : if your shot was good and there's powder and lead in your cartridge you'll drop something:)

Agree with Stevie re his first statement.
    Size #5 and #4 are often recommended for ducks shot at greater distance -larger pellets, because they are heavier, retain their velocity better and so killing power over distance is greater than the smaller sizes, -also larger shot usually produces tighter patterns because it deforms less than smaller shot.
    What you're looking for is down-range energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

32g #6 eley gprix hi-v in right barrel, same of #5 (if I can get them) in the left.

I used to use the original winchester western cartridges in the tight choke barrel, but they are not made anymore, which is a pity, as they were a very decent game cartridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

5's seem to be a nice middle of the road cartridge for most things.Anyone use 44gram 5's for anything.Got a box,the shoulder isn't too sure!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Eley Alphamax is what i use for phesants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Degsy wrote: »
    Eley Alphamax 32g are very good,quite expensive though,i usually use a 6 for pheasant.

i always thought all alphamax are 36Grm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

the ones i use are anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

the fiottchie no 7 in the first barrell and a sga 6 in the second. both 32g shots. not a bad combo

Pheasants are tough shots especially going away (up the arse) no vitals for a ways.
    Left barrel full choke at about 45 yards # 5 shot. Bird ran a half mile ahead of good dogs and got up on the other side of a big break.

2175116111_7aed6b4d3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wolfhillbilly

My da always swore by Eley Maximum but I find them hard to get. 6 in the first barrel, 4 in the second. Any opinions on them? Are they available in No 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

32g 6 half choke (use an auto)

my Father who doesnt shoot any more always used 4's, Eleys. I remember a conversation with him at sixteen, Da what shot should I use for pigeon, reply 4, and for pheasants 4, and for ducks 4 and if I was shooting geese BB's. As he grew up in the "emergency" I'm assuming number 4 was all they had.

It was my Mother that asked me to stop using 4s

Nice bird

• Advertisement
Advertisement