Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in Fairview

Options
  • 27-11-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey, would anyone be able to tell me where exactly in Fairview the Buena Vista cinema is?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

There is no cinema in Fairview anymore. Last time I went there was about 16 or 17 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Upstairs in what was the old Fairview (Grand) cinema.
    There used to be a Londis shop downstairs, now closed.

If you know where the coffee shop 'Javaholics' is, it's about two doors back towards town from that, past the opticians.
    Entry is through a small door on the left. You will see the Buena Vista sign above the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Araniell

spurious wrote: »
    Upstairs in what was the old Fairview (Grand) cinema.
    There used to be a Londis shop downstairs, now closed.

If you know where the coffee shop 'Javaholics' is, it's about two doors back towards town from that, past the opticians.
    Entry is through a small door on the left. You will see the Buena Vista sign above the door.

You're an absolute legend. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're going by bus, get any of the buses that go out the Malahide, Howth or Coast roads and get out at Xtravision Fairview. It's about 3 doors up from there just beyond Hillbilly's.

Aaah, the old Fairview Cinema. Spent half my sunday afternoons there as a kid. They let it run down really badly though and then it closed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

NOW THERE'S A FLASHBACK LOL

I remember going there.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I remember queuing outside the Fairview for the Gary Glitter movie as a kid, and not getting in because the cinema was full. I was heartbroken, he was my hero then. how the mighty have fallen. Him not me. Well maybe me a little too.

Still myself and sisters spent all our cinema money on sweets and hung out in Fairview Park for the rest of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

why did the Londis close? Wasn't that only new anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i saw batman there as a kid in 1989, all i remember is how good the film was and the huge drop at the front!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

i reckon the building is cursed, first the cinema, then a stationery suppliers (i think) then the ill fated dublin daily newspaper and now londis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There was an internet company in there at one stage too... wasn't there?

I went to see Ghostbusters and Gremlins in that cinema.

What's this Buena Vista thing all about anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I went to see Back to the Future (the first one), Ghostbusters 2, Inner space!! What else... Flight of the f**king Navigator! Who framed Roger Rabbit, and I think Batman returns, the one with the Danny DeVito Penguin in it. God. Ghostbusters 2 was my favourite though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As far as I know, the Buena Vista is a preview theatre for the film industry. Perhaps Araniell can tell us.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Theory (a): The premises is jinxed. The Dublin Daily News was there for a very short time before folding.

Theory (b): Officially the "best Centra in Ireland" is about 50 yards away. It's already caused the closure of 3 local newsagents who had been there for donkey's years (Joe's, Brian's and Gallagher's). So it was pretty ludicrous to open up a Londis that close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 danielsan122

Jeez,

I went to see Bill Murray in Scrooge back in 1988 in that Cinema.
    ''Put a little love in your heart''.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

spurious wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Buena Vista is a preview theatre for the film industry. Perhaps Araniell can tell us.

Yes that is exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

That Londis offo was ridiculously cheap. I am for one am gutted its gone :P

But I've always wondered what that cinema is used for alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

Disney own it and use it for previewing their movies to the press!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Nice old fashioned place it is too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bettyg

I worked in the Fairview in the 50's, my favorite job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bettyg

I worked there in the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Looked at the thread title and thought to myself...a new cinema in Fairview, sure that would be handy!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 george baldoyle

Bettyg wrote: »
    I worked in the Fairview in the 50's, my favorite job

Hi betty i have so many happy memories of going there i went to see superman 2 there back in 1981 and several more films after that at the fairview the place had such a great athmosphere ..were you an usher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The Fairview Grand Cinema opened in 1937. It was a state of the art facility for its day. It was considered the best of the suburban cinemas in Dublin and showed all new releases one week after they opened in the city centre cinemas.It was in its hayday during the 1950,s but with the arrival of television audiences gradually declined throughout the 1960's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I remember the time my father and I went to see teen wolf here and smuggled burgers from some love it Hot next door. Great times

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Holy moly, memories! Saw E.T. with my dad in this place.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Theory (a): The premises is jinxed. The Dublin Daily News was there for a very short time before folding.

Theory (b): Officially the "best Centra in Ireland" is about 50 yards away. It's already caused the closure of 3 local newsagents who had been there for donkey's years (Joe's, Brian's and Gallagher's). So it was pretty ludicrous to open up a Londis that close to it.

Going by the amount of orbs in the photos of the Fairview Grand in this video , I'd go with Theory (a) :eek:
    Hard to believe too that the last of the cinema chairs were only removed in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 george baldoyle

The Fairview Grand has such memories for me .it was one of the very last old cinemas and it always had the best movies..on saturday , sunday they would put on the matinees .. '' jungle book'' '' peter pan'' '' mary poppins'' to name but a few and the house would be full of kids ''they made the film hard to hear because they were so loud but it was part of the magic'' the last such film was '' batman 1989'' the kids all cheered for batman when the batman sign was shown in the opening . there was a young usher who was blue in the face running from seat to seat telling the kids to stay quiet ..and i still remember that poor chap so much ..the Faro had a huge screen and a huge balcony 'never forget that 40 foot drop at the front'' and it was the cinema of my childhood/adolescence as it was for so many people in the area...the major part of the arena is now demolished with only the balcony section still standing ..the front is occupied by a tesco ..how they could destroy something like this that so many generations of Dubliners have is just horrible ..to think the huge cinema where so many kids screamed and shouted for their hero's on screen is now demolished is very sad ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

They used to show Pink Floyd: Live in Pompei as the late night movie every Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What Year did it close? The last movie I remember seeing was in the mid 80s. It was Starwars, think it was the ewok one.

Uci opened in 91 iirc, so I'd say it wasn't long after that, if it hadn't all ready closed at that stage.

Last film I remember seeing there was Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, which was released late in 1992.

• Advertisement
Advertisement