Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Is it working?

Options
  • 27-11-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get the thoughts and ideas of people on penalty points in ireland.

In my opinion i thought it was working at the start but now there are so many loopholes and ways to avoid pen pts i think its a mess.

Just a few questions for ye to think about

Does anyone think that the whole enforcement and implications of the pen pts is a bit of a joke?

I mean is anybody really scared?

Do people tell ins companies?

Do ins companies add on a substantial penalty?

Do ins companies check if u dont tell them u have pts?

Is the admin system that is imposing these points effecint?

The joke of standing up in court and saying "i never got the fixed charge notice in the post" and getting away with it

The lack of knowledge by people re when do the points start when do they finish

Foreign D/Licences?

Im not giving out or complaining about anyone and not looking to start a vendetta against "boyracers" or gardai, jist looking for yer views

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Penalty points = not something to improve driver behaviour.

The sooner the response to a crime, the better. I.e., if there are plenty of marked police cars around, you would be pulled over as soon as driving dangerously, overtaking dangerously, and so on.

Penalty points mean the police can have a Health & Safety Approved life at work safe behind a camera. They never see you except for your license plate, you never see them.

You were speeding......4 months ago and have to go and pay a fine......does that help learning to drive safely? I don't think so. Being pulled over promptly would do.

For the record - I have no points.

I think it is a problem that there is general lack of respect for proper law and order, and the police shouldn't need to do it, but the points system at least is something even stupid people (who are unable to learn from their mistakes) can figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ya i agree i suppose it might take a generation before we start adhering to it.

It all starts with educationm educating the young would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Something like 80% of points go for speeding. Speeding is reponsible for less than 30% of deaths. They should spread it around a bit. One should get points for a blown headlamp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If they started giving out points for blown/dodgy lights, half the drivers on the road would be banned (and rightly so)! It's just sheer laziness and ignorance, especially front lights, you couldn't not notice that a bulb is gone on the front, could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

blastman wrote: »
    If they started giving out points for blown/dodgy lights, half the drivers on the road would be banned (and rightly so)! It's just sheer laziness and ignorance, especially front lights, you couldn't not notice that a bulb is gone on the front, could you?

Ya one may notice it blown but what if ya had to get home from some place and it just happen to blow when you were leaving and no place was open to get a replacement, imo i dont think that justifies getting points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mac500 wrote: »
    Ya one may notice it blown but what if ya had to get home from some place and it just happen to blow when you were leaving and no place was open to get a replacement, imo i dont think that justifies getting points

You should b ecarrying a replacement bulb kit like on the continent.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stekelly wrote: »
    Should? Maybe!
    Must? No!

kbannon wrote: »
    Should? Maybe!
    Must? No!
    People would if they knew they would get points.

What about seat belts? How many checks for that?

Accident today in Westmeath. 6 people in a BMW 116 with 5 seat belts. 2 dead.

edit: Actually:
    77% for speeding.
    9% for seat belts (including about .5% for children).
    4% for mobile phone.
    2% for breaking lights.
    2% for ignoring road signs. (Yield/Stop etc.)
    1.5% for crossing white line.
    1% for no insurance.
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20notices%20%20issued%20by%20offence%20type%20%20-%20oct%2007%20(5).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Replacement xenons? And if you were a girlie would you know how to change them? And what if the replacement bulb blew too? And hown many fatalities are caused by a blown headlamp bulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭drunkdaz

Replacement xenons? And if you were a girlie would you know how to change them? And what if the replacement bulb blew too? And hown many fatalities are caused by a blown headlamp bulb?

Thats half the point of xenons; they don't "blow". They require far less maintainence as they do not contain an element.
    Really though you cannot preempt every possibility. This should be a points offence because so many people show such contempt for a problem which can be avoided so easily; Irish people are just so lazy in this regard.

With regard to the points system overall. It works as it reminds people of the responsibility they have when on the road; though I think way too much emphasis on speeding. A more balanced use would improve driving standards and fatality reductions would follow.

• Advertisement

Replacement xenons?

Why not? They can be bought when needed so why not before? As above, they need less maintenance so you'd probably only need 1 for a long time

And if you were a girlie would you know how to change them?

Me? yes, but then again I'm not an idiot.

And what if the replacement bulb blew too?

Go to a motor factors/garage and buy a new one? It's fairly unlikely (barring some sort of electrical fault, but then you really should be getting that looked at asap) that you will blow a bulb, get stopped, replace it, have it blow again and be stopped a 2nd time, before you can get to a garage/motor factors.

But then we are talking about responsible motoring. That hasnt seemed to have caught on here yet.
    And hown many fatalities are caused by a blown headlamp bulb?

Thats not whats being discussed, the questions were about points for blown bulbs. Countries such as Germany which are held up as shinign lights for us to look up to fine etc for blown bulbs so why shouldnt we?

I'd say theres been a few anyway. It can be quite difficult to make out whether a vehicle coming towards you is a car with a blown headlamp on one side or a motorbike on a dark road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

And hown many fatalities are caused by a blown headlamp bulb?

I think the little ignorances contribute to the greater accidents.

It's about responsibility and maintaining proper road safety. If you are driving with a blow headlamp, it indicates (in my opinion) not just that you are missing a bulb but also a general lazy and possibly dangerous attitude when doing ALL car things - driving, indicating, wearing seatbelts.

For example, and I know it's stretching it a bit, but didn't the New York crime rate drop significantly when the small "petty" crimes were tackled? It had a sort of trickle "up" effect on bigger crime.

So, tolerating a blown bulb in my mind is tolerating larger stupidity on the road. If the person can't change a bulb or plan to keep a replacement kit for bulbs, should we be trusting them to do things like overtake, drive on motorways, and do more important car related things?

So it starts with the little offences in my opinion. Tackling those would make a lot of the lazy and selfish drivers sit up or get off the road; if you got points tomorrow for blown bulbs, suddenly there would be no blown headlamps to be seen. Same for all the other "little" things. Tolerate enough minor indiscretions and eventually someone makes a big one - like putting 6 adults in a car designed for 5.

Many EU countries including the UK have a more comprehensive testing system before you ever get behind the wheel; Germany is just one main example of a country with quite strict requirements and courses for driving licenses.

In Ireland, any idiot aged 17 can just buy a license, ignore the unenforced law about driving with L-plates on a motorway or unaccompanied, and go off with no worries, cares in the world - or *any* sense of proper attitude and knowledge of the road. This starts with education, and respect for what is a privelege.

Why would anyone obey speed limits if they see it as a revenue exercise?
    Why would anyone change a bulb if it's okay to drive around with a blown headlamp or (frequently) driving at dusk with no lights on at all.
    It's a symptom of general ignorance of driving and maintenance, and tackling it would likely have a greater reduction in road deaths than all the speeding points in the world. And it begins by allowing people with no knowledge out on the roads - people who should be ashamed of themselves for displaying contempt for licensed road users who at least have displayed some minimum level of competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

mac500 wrote: »
    There's a HELL of a lot of people driving around with just-blown bulbs, in that case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Insurance companies , Gardai and Motor tax office should be linked to one central data base. Insurance companies should double their premiums for speeders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Insurance companies , Gardai and Motor tax office should be linked to one central data base. Insurance companies should double their premiums for speeders!

No thanks, don't want my personal data that the Gardai have shared with a Private Company.

I believe an Insurance company which is essentially a private company should have the same rights as any indivdual that query the Gardai for information. It works the same way for the Gardai if they query a private company for data, they need a court order to get it !

And thats mine and everyones right under law.

Data Protection - Your Rights

For the most part, those that hold personal information relating to individuals do so in a responsible manner. It is possible however, that:

* The information kept about you may be wrong or out of date
    * It may be given to someone not entitled to see it
    * You may find yourself receiving 'junk mail'
    * Your privacy might be threatened in other more serious ways

The Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003 gives you rights to protect you against these and similar problems, and creates obligations for those keeping personal information.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

ballooba wrote: »

edit: Actually:
    77% for speeding.
    9% for seat belts (including about .5% for children).
    4% for mobile phone.
    2% for breaking lights.
    2% for ignoring road signs. (Yield/Stop etc.)
    1.5% for crossing white line.
    1% for no insurance.
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20notices%20%20issued%20by%20offence%20type%20%20-%20oct%2007%20(5).pdf

Well there you go can you spot which offense doesn't require the Garda having to stop you and issue out the points. The system sucks and is obviously a money making racket

Why would they double premiums for speeders rather than any other offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

blastman wrote: »

Agreed. And its not massively difficult to keep some spare bulbs in the glove compartment. I was driving behind some rehab in a 4x4 last night with no rear bulbs working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ya, because doing 55Kph in a 50 warrants a doubling of your premium, even though you have not hurt anyone?:rolleyes: Get a life, speeding is not the sole, nor even the main, cause of RTA's in Ireland. It is all round poor general behaviour on the roads. Inappropiate speed is far worse, people not adjusting speed for the conditions etc. Also, slow, incompetent drivers refusing to pull in and allowing everyone else to make progress should get points.

Insurance companies should double their premiums for speeders!
    :rolleyes:
    Have you never exceeded the speed limit whilst driving for whatever reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ya that wouldnt work although the central database for Points would be an idea...at the min is it only you that tells the insurance company about the points?
    what happens if you dont tell them?

If you lie to your insurance company you may well be invalidating your policy!

craichoe wrote: »
    No thanks, don't want my personal data that the Gardai have shared with a Private Company.

I believe an Insurance company which is essentially a private company should have the same rights as any indivdual that query the Gardai for information. It works the same way for the Gardai if they query a private company for data, they need a court order to get it !

And thats mine and everyones right under law.

Data Protection - Your Rights

For the most part, those that hold personal information relating to individuals do so in a responsible manner. It is possible however, that:

* The information kept about you may be wrong or out of date
    * It may be given to someone not entitled to see it
    * You may find yourself receiving 'junk mail'
    * Your privacy might be threatened in other more serious ways

The Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003 gives you rights to protect you against these and similar problems, and creates obligations for those keeping personal information.

Why would you object to insurance companies obtaining a copy of your driving record? They already have all your personal details anyway.

astraboy wrote: »
    Ya, because doing 55Kph in a 50 warrants a doubling of your premium, even though you have not hurt anyone?:rolleyes: Get a life, speeding is not the sole, nor even the main, cause of RTA's in Ireland. It is all round poor general behaviour on the roads. Inappropiate speed is far worse, people not adjusting speed for the conditions etc. Also, slow, incompetent drivers refusing to pull in and allowing everyone else to make progress should get points.

Look, what Im saying is that fines for speeding are not enough. I speed, I get points, so what? What then??

I remember a few years ago, a friend of mine would always drive in the bus lane on the way to work. the Garda would be hiding at the end and pull him over. Gives him a ticket for 80 euro. Doesnt stop him from doing it again. (He's got a lot of money!!)

Getting 12 points (for any offences) means disqualification for 6 months.
    Most people just continue to drive anyway.

We need stricter penalties.

kbannon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Have you never exceeded the speed limit whilst driving for whatever reason?

Of course I have!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's one penalty point to drive on those painted traffic islands.

Have you ever seen anyone NOT drive on them ?

enforcement is the key.

autochoque.jpg

enforcement is the key.
    That 77% of penalty points are for speeding is an ominous statistic.

Penalty Points issued for an offence should be in line with the number of accidents they cause. eg. crossing white line should make up ~10% IIRC.

That 77% of penalty points are for speeding is an ominous statistic.

Penalty Points issued for an offence should be in line with the number of accidents they cause. eg. crossing white line should make up ~10% IIRC.

The problem is there isnt really a "crossing white line" camera available. You can remotely catch people for speeding. Other things like seatbelts , white lines etc require a gard to basically stumble upon it as it happens. I'd imagine figures in every country for offences are spread similar to our own.

The problem is there isnt really a "crossing white line" camera available. You can remotely catch people for speeding. Other things like seatbelts , white lines etc require a gard to basically stumble upon it as it happens. I'd imagine figures in every country for offences are spread similar to our own.
    That doesn't make it right. It puts inappropriate focus on speeding. The same argument could be made about drink driving which kills almost as many as speeding.

• Advertisement

That doesn't make it right..

How can catching people breaking the law not be right?

Just becasue they catch more people speedign than other offences doesnt make speedign any less wrong.
    The same argument could be made about drink driving which kills almost as many as speeding.

So if they star catching more people drink drivign than anything else, should they lay off the drink drivers and be "fair"?

Advertisement