Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Is it working?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Stekelly wrote: »
    How can catching people breaking the law not be right?

Just becasue they catch more people speedign than other offences doesnt make speedign any less wrong.

So if they star catching more people drink drivign than anything else, should they lay off the drink drivers and be "fair"?
    Not suggesting they lay off anyone. If anything they should be catching more people. They have been saying in the UK for years that the speed cameras are put in because they cost less and bring in more money than cops out and about. They should increase the number of offences prosecuted by cops .

How hard can it be to nab people for drink driving? You sit outside the pub and wait for them. It's like shooting fish in a barrell.

The behaviours that cause 70% of KSI accidents attract 23% of the sanctions. How can that be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

You would reckon people should be taken out of their cars and beaten for breaking the speed limit the way people go on in here sometimes!

Seriously, sometimes a stern warning from a cop is as good as points. Mindless enforcement of sometimes too low speed limits requires little or no effort. The fact speed cameras will be introduced will no doubt mean less cops on the roads. This means people WILL get away with stupid, dangerous driving as long as its below the limit. More cops on our roads and enforcement is what is needed.

An example: I was watching 'Road wars' last night. A guy took off too fast from some lights in a 350z. He was pulled over. No points, but the cop did give him a bit of a grilling with the ever present classy manner of british cops. "Do you have points jason?" "No officer". Well I suggest you slow down if you wish to keep it that way." Left the guy go. The guy will no doubt remember the incident and watch his driving. Slapping points on people is not the only way to enforce the law on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Getting back to the Topic "Penalty Points, is it working ?"

Penalty points were introduced to:
    1) Save Lives
    2) Reduce insurance premiums

as for 1, didnt many people say something along the lines of.. if it saves one life.. etc etc

well i think penalty points have saved some lives

And as for 2

to the best of my knowledge.. insurance premiums have come down in the last few years.

answer to the op; YES

pa990 wrote: »
    as for 1, didnt many people say something along the lines of.. if it saves one life.. etc etc

YES
    If we spent the entire road safety budget for the whole country for the next ten years on enveloping the back roads of Donegal in foam it would no doubt save at least one life. Would it be money well spent?

If we spend close to 80% of resources on an issue that effects 30% of the problem is it money well spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

pa990 wrote: »
    Getting back to the Topic "Penalty Points, is it working ?"

Penalty points were introduced to:
    1) Save Lives
    2) Reduce insurance premiums

And as for 2

to the best of my knowledge.. insurance premiums have come down in the last few years.

answer to the op; YES

ya true road deaths are down since the introduction of pp

and my insurance has come down about 3 grand:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

ballooba wrote: »
    If we spent the entire road safety budget for the whole country for the next ten years on enveloping the back roads of Donegal in foam it would no doubt save at least one life. Would it be money well spent?

If we spend close to 80% of resources on an issue that effects 30% of the problem is it money well spent?

But according to RSA stats, road fatalities are down (and not just by 1)

also.. seeing as we are on about stats.. did you know that, it is expected that there will only be a 3% decrease in detections of drunk drivers this yr as a result of all of the advertising, ,and extra checkpoints..
    Now that may not be money well spent.. but policing doesn't come cheap.

(please don't ask for a source for the 3%.. i will not be able to divulge its origin)

According to the RSA road deaths are down, but this could be for any reason (including our flashy new ambulance fleet). The statistics recorded by the RSA are terrible. It's impossible to determine a causal effect between penalty points and a reductions in road deaths. We have had other initiatives in their such as random breath testing. We have also opened up a lot of motorway which are safer than the N routes they replace.

As long as penalty points only addresses 30% of fatal accidents it can only have an effect on the 30% of accidents. The systems was clearly not designed to be implemented in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I am for and against penalty points.
    I think they are working but i dont agree with getting points for doing 55 in a 50 zone.I have got points because of that and its really annoying.At one stage i was at 8 points now thank god back to 4 and also regarding insurance , its has droped a hell of a lot in the past 2 years.
    I got insurance on a 07 golf gti and im only 23 for 1300 Fully comp.There was only one company who quoted me and that was hibernian.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

drdre wrote: »
    I am for and against penalty points.
    I think they are working but i dont agree with getting points for doing 55 in a 50 zone.I have got points because of that and its really annoying.At one stage i was at 8 points now thank god back to 4 and also regarding insurance , its has droped a hell of a lot in the past 2 years.
    I got insurance on a 07 golf gti and im only 23 for 1300 Fully comp.There was only one company who quoted me and that was hibernian.:)

If you got points for doing 55 in a 50, your speedo probably read around 60. You knew you were speeding so whats the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Why would you object to insurance companies obtaining a copy of your driving record? They already have all your personal details anyway.

Ah yes, the everlasting privacy argument :)

Because if they want it, then they should ask me and i'll give it to them. A private company and a public company should not freely give information to each other. Just because their an Insurance company, its doesn't give them some sort of special right to access my information. Whats next, Advertising companies, Personal Injury firms.

No, i'll keep it seperate thanks and if they really want it then i'll provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

craichoe wrote: »
    Just because their an Insurance company, its doesn't give them some sort of special right to access my information. Whats next, Advertising companies, Personal Injury firms.

Would you not want them to know whether you are a good driver or a bad driver and therefore get a better rate?

I dont want to get into the privacy argument. It just makes sense to me that insurance companies should collect information on the drivers they are insuring. It might even bring the costs down. I dont see the problem with that. Remember, they have all your personal info anyway.

Advertisement