Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation free flow or no go???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I always wondered why Op FF. kicked off around Christmas time. No more traffic on the roads I would have thought.

The cynic in me is thinking 'Christmas bonus...'

Anyone got any less cynical reason for the timing?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

beans wrote: »
    I always wondered why Op FF. kicked off around Christmas time. No more traffic on the roads I would have thought.

The cynic in me is thinking 'Christmas bonus...'

Anyone got any less cynical reason for the timing?

there is much more traffic on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Sweet mother of god.

Outside IMMA and Kilmainham Jail this afternoon/evening. Gobsh!tes going north on the SCR 'parking' in the yellow box junction at the beginning of Inchicore Rd. preventing traffic from southbound SCR turning right up Inchicore Rd. thus backing up traffic on John's Rd and the rest of SCR from the Phoenix Park.

All 150m from Kilmainham Garda Station. Plus the usual suspects on the southbound Right Turn Only lane onto Inchicore Rd cutting in to the Ahead Only lane. All day, every day, not just at Christmas.

I rarely drive that route (mostly cycle) and seeing that sort of behaviour puts me off. Wait till Clancy Barracks is finished with the hundreds of apartments in there!!!

So: no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beans wrote: »
    The cynic in me is thinking 'Christmas bonus...
    Most of the Gardai involved in OFF are rookies from the Garda Training College in Templemore. They can easily be identified by their blue epaulettes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HAHAHA. I love OFF, as it cuts down on my commute time. You see, I get the bus, and when the f**ks driving in the bus lane know that a Garda will be ahead, they won't drive in it, which ensures the bus whizzes along, esp coming back in the evenings (along Upper Drumcondra Road/Swords Road).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I think that's the whole point of the Op. Freeflow - to help the Public Transport moving smoother, not the private cars. About 10.000 people more than usual use public transport around Christmas Time.

Last year i thought it worked great, I think. This year not really. I think it's mostly due to the see of probationer gardai, who obviously have less experience

ojewriej wrote: »
    Last year i thought it worked great, I think. This year not really. I think it's mostly due to the see of probationer gardai, who obviously have less experience
    :confused:It has always been trainee Gardai!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Ha, didn't know that. I just assumed this is the first year, because they seem to point it out a lot in the media.

I learned something today. Thank you Wishbone Ash.

I don't know why it's worse this year then. It seems to be less of them, maybe it's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye, but some or more clueless, it would seem. Not ALL of the Gardai are any good (wouldn't want to tar all of them with the "good" brush).

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, but some or more clueless
    I accept that many lacking in confidence but that should improve with experience. I'd imagine that directing traffic at a busy junction is not that easy. Their visible presence helps to ensure compliance with bus lanes, yellow boxes etc. but if there is gridlock there is not that much they can do at local level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement