Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi all, DO i Need Theory???

• 27-11-2007 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just found this forum been using Boards for ages and I never knew there was a guitar section. I have a question.

I have been playing guitar for about a decade. I Currrently play for a Proffesional band working for a certain agency which cannot be discussed.

I know next to nothing about Guitar Theory,Obviousley I understand the basic chords etc but thats about it. I cannot wrap my head around modes or 5ths etc. or anything like that, I read about Guitar theory and my mind just cannot comprehend the implementation of what I read. I can read tab thats about it. people have tried to explain theory to me and they might as well be talking to the wall. Im not stupid, I consider myself quite clever and intelligent but when it comes to maths Ive always been weak.

In saying that I can play almost anything by ear seconds after I hear it. I dont know the names of the Chords Im doing beyond the basic 7 and a few others such as Am,Dm and other simple chords.

I can play Lead guitar on the fly over songs Ive never even heard before l without going outta key or looking lost. I do this live on stage regularly when someone requests a song Ive never heard which my fellow bandmates know, I just make it up as I go along. People ask me to teach them allot but I cant explain how I do it in words because I dont understand guitar theory at all.
    I never studied Music, I thought myself. The band recently started playing a few Jazz numbers and I find myself playing jazz chords and solos etc, Ive never listened to Jazz in my life!! I just seem to have a talent for Playing by ear and feel.

So anyway I dont know if It sounds like Bragging or not! I feel like a fraud because Guys start talking guitar around me and I dont have a clue what they are saying! And heres me claiming to be a guitarist!

my question is

do you guys think its important or required to learn some theory to play guitar to a high standard? I mean should I go and try wrap my head around these things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I think you are the only one that can answer that, though from reading your post you seem to be doing ok without it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I think you should persevere, you probably just haven't found the right way of learning it yet. Try getting some lessons from a teacher who can explain the theory and show you how it relates to what you're playing in terms of chords and scales.

Of course, it is great to have a good ear, but that will only take you so far, and why place limits on yourself? Understanding the theory will give you a far deeper musical knowledge that will be reflected in your playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you were a fraud, people would hear it in your playing. As for theory, I'd say a lot depends on why you think you might to learn some. I think it would be necessary if you wanted to teach to a high standard, but if you are getting by without it then fine.

Having said that, learning some theory can improve your playing. If you ever feel stuck in a rut, like you're not improving any more, that might be a good time to bite the bullet and learn some guitar theory. I don't mean learning to read music - although I'm sure that's useful too. Learning how chords and scales are constructed, how modes work and what they can do for your playing can really open your eyes. Then again, you'll probably find that you've been doing some of this stuff already, because you've found that it works. Understanding why it works may lead you other things that you haven't discovered yet.

Personally I play mostly blues, and theory is not as important as feel, but even so I found learning some theory to be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I'm with Padraig on this. If you're doing fine without theory then you'll fly into another musical stratosphere with it. Knowing music makes things happen far more quickly than not knowing it. Also knowing 'nanmes' means you know 'which chords go where' if you like which makes your playing sound that bit more accomplished than the usual player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This guy gets a lot of good reviews about his method. I'm not at the stage where his book would benefit me but it sounds perfect for you:

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Thanks guys, I think I will try wrap my head around theory again. I think if I found the right kind of teacher or book, that explained it in terms I understand then I could probably begin to grasp it. It's quite intimadating though, even the termanology is Daunting. I remember a guitar teacher In school, I was already playing quite well when I dropped into his first class. he started scetching diagrams of modes and scales, Without actually relating it to playing and I just couldnt grasp the underlying point of the diagrams, I know there is a system, I just cant seem to get it yet.

It reminds me of a book I read recently "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. after 300 odd pages I knew and understood scientific theories and principals that My science teachers spent years teaching me, under the them I learned very little, but the way it was explained in the book was so down to Earth that I got it instantly. I need to find a guitar theory book that can do this.

I do feel in a rut as someone mentioned, I'm fine writing my own stuff, but when it comes to new ways to travel over the fretboard during solo's etc I feel I need to increase my vocabulary. Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

murphaph wrote: »
    This guy gets a lot of good reviews about his method. I'm not at the stage where his book would benefit me but it sounds perfect for you:

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/

Thanks man, I checked it out and sounds very interesting. He claims to teach guitar theory with a purely visual method of travelling about the fretboard. I play by visualisation and ear so It mught be right for me. If I give it a go i'll post a new thread telling ya'll if it works for me. Who knows I may yet understand the "mystery" of music theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

That's a good question!
    And my answer is yes...and No...

Confused? you should...

While what people today theory is the result of hundreds, if not thousands of years of practical experimentation.
    You discovered guitar in the most direct way and I would encourage you to carry on.
    However, if you are looking to expand your sound you might want to consider to spend some time on theory.
    Get the Jazz Theory book by Mark Levine and see how you get on with it.

On the other hand, there are some excellent video courses you could check. A great resource that I would recommend is Guitar Tricks. Com

Good Luck
    Francesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Jimkel wrote: »
    It reminds me of a book I read recently "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. after 300 odd pages I knew and understood scientific theories and principals that My science teachers spent years teaching me, under the them I learned very little, but the way it was explained in the book was so down to Earth that I got it instantly. I need to find a guitar theory book that can do this.

Hey maybe that's one way to do it then! There's a couple of books I've read recently that would fall into this pop science category but they are mainly around the psychology of music. The Music Instinct by Phillip Ball is one, and Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks (his style is really easy going)

While neither are actually talking in-depth theory, it might be the right way in for you, especially as I know what you mean as regards the terminology. Covered in the books are harmonics, rhythm, playing together, understanding what makes one key different to another etc. etc. and also it's just pretty fascinating stuff if you're working in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

don't need it but it helps

everyone is different smoe may like/need it more than others or some jsut have good ears, i know a little and seem to be doing aok, but if i learn something new it does help explore new things, so lil bita both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm sure you 'know' quite alot without actually sitting down and learning about it from a book. I mean I don't think Jimi Hendrix or Slash sat down and learned all the church modes and jazz chords and sh*t -- they just jammed along to records I guess ! And practising like that taught them all they needed to know to make beautiful elaborate music, which ultimately is what you're aiming to do, so if you can do it without 'studying', then why bother?

Mere mortals like myself however, aren't very good at playing by ear, so need to sit down and find out what key they're in, what scales should be used, etc.

However if you feel like you're 'stuck in a rut' or your playing is limited in some way (say, you keep going back to the same chord progressions), then maybe it'd be a good idea to learn how to build more interesting chords, or learn some of the modes and the chords used in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

You're not at all alone in this Jimkel, musos i've played in bands with over the years have either been highly "technical" and can name any mode or chord etc with ease and use that knowledge within their playin, or more old school and down to earth in that they know what to do but not why/how they do it! :) I think it depends on how you start to learna nd what kind of stuff you're into. EG I know some people into really advanced progressive metal or jazz that blow my mind with their technicality but can lack the soul or feeling that some blues/rock guitarists or bassists I know can incorporate into their playing, even though they cant read a note of music! Both types are excellent musicians in their own rights and both can get on well together and work in a band so I don't think it really matters, you shouldn't feel lacking for not knowing certain theory.

I totally agree about searching for the Bill Bryson style of theory book, something that was written in the same style as "a short history of nearly everything", except about music theory would be bloody excellent to read! Its really hard for me to look at a piano theory book without being able to apply it to what i do onstage, I know what sounds good in what key but often have no idea why or how to improve it.

If you do find a good book, let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

The old Eddie Van approach 12 notes and no rules works well :) but I think to have a small knowledge at least of relative majors and minors and other small things will be a help to ya....

I have high theory but it very rarely raises its head in my music life, unless working on oprchestral stuff where im using alto clefs etc.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

It's very difficult to improv without musical theory. It can also help you write songs instead of just learning others(and can also make learning other songs quicker and easier as you have more of a "short hand" instead of having to lear nand play it note by note).

I don't know much music theory, but I'd love to. I think it can get in the way of actual music at times, but at the same time lets you know what you can do without sounding ****.

Advertisement