Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board length

• 27-11-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Howdy, just noticing from the gear thread that everyone's board is 160 or less(ish) and I am wondering is mine at 180cm too big? I am six foot three though so maybe not...............
    Help?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

180 seems seems large... Freestyle board? Have you used the board before? I'm 6'1" and usually use a 163cm on the slopes. Board is supposed to touch your chin when held vertical, though weight can effect this (longer). If you want to be really pedantic about it, snow conditions can also affect this (powder = longer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Going by that rule it's a little long alright. Used it in Febraury this year, learned on it. I'm not the heaviest bloke in the world from my height (nudging 12stone) but there should be a fair bit of powder where I'm going, if it stays snowing at this rate!!! As regards freestyle, tbh, I wouldn't have a clue :rolleyes: all I know is its rounded and lipped at both ends, flatter at the back, but only slightly and has a thin aluminium edge round the bottom. Not the lightest thing in the world compared to my friend's K2 so I'd imagine it's not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For both boards and skis the length very approximately relates along these lines:
    short = tricks
    long = speed
    fat = powder

You then have other variations regarding the difference in width between the tips and the middle of the board/ ski which will effect what its best for as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hey Don1,

Try this link http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/

Im about 6'/6'1" 13 Stone and I use a 157" / 158"

Big boards are generally used for powder days, if you arent doing tricks and/or you have just started to learn it wont make that much of a difference. All though when you do move to smaller board you will notice the difference when making turns etc

Cheers peoples. About ten to twenty cms to long. Oh well.

/me goes and gets saw.......... :rolleyes:

I'll leave it for this year. After the emigration (Canada next summer for good) I'll get something lethal.......

• Advertisement

Don1 wrote: »
    As regards freestyle, tbh, I wouldn't have a clue :rolleyes: all I know is its rounded and lipped at both ends, flatter at the back, but only slightly and has a thin aluminium edge round the bottom.

Yes, that's a freestyle board. You've used it before - did it suit you? How did you find the turning? Did it seem stiff on the slopes?

TBH I found it grand but having nothing to compare it too and pretty much zero ability I could have been using a palet and thought it was alright!! I didn't get any understeer, and the edge dug in well on icy turns etc. The only thing that annoyed me was on flat icy bits at the end of one of the runs it kept diggin in and over I'd go (this is more than likely an ability issue!!!)
    Not too stiff but not overly soft. I like it frankly it just seems a little big when talking to others.

I like it frankly it just seems a little big when talking to others
    Just go with whatever your comfortable with, I started on 158" so thats what I'm use too. Once you find that its your board thats holding you back then look at getting a new one until then its not going to make a difference to you.

Get it serviced the next time you go away and it should be fine for the week, I always leave my board in to get waxed the first day I arrive so I can be ready to hit the slopes first thing in the morning. A new edge and a bit of wax goes along way.

Or you could always try and wax it yourself before you go? Plenty of great sites on the net providing howto's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Personally, when I was snowboarding last I tried a few different lengths and finally got comfortable with 156", the board was also very flexible.

It might be an idea to just rent next time and try out a few different lengths to see which you feel most comfortable with.

TBH I found it grand but having nothing to compare it too and pretty much zero ability I could have been using a palet and thought it was alright!! I didn't get any understeer, and the edge dug in well on icy turns etc. The only thing that annoyed me was on flat icy bits at the end of one of the runs it kept diggin in and over I'd go (this is more than likely an ability issue!!!)
    Not too stiff but not overly soft. I like it frankly it just seems a little big when talking to others.

The fact that you are new enough to snowboarding and have nothing to compare it to is notable. It's important to have a decent board when you're learning, especially more so with snowboarding than with skiing. When you go out in February, you'll be getting instruction I assume? If you are then just speak to your instructor about it and see what he thinks since he'll be able to see you on the slopes.

• Advertisement

No instruction!! :p I have the going and stopping! Just need to force myself onto toes more and I'm ar muin na muice!!
    It's a good board, and I am able to move along at a fair clip on it. The edge is pristine (only four days on it!) and the bottom only has one scratch (bastid stone) I might go for the wax treatment but as I said, I'll use it this year anyway, then look into changing it when I'm living in the snow all the time!

Cheers for all the advice!

oops, just went out to look at it and it turns out it's 160cm!! :o:o:o
    Sorry for the nonsense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I'd say the 160 would actually be a bit short for you, 163-166 would be more you're range, but you need to work more based on you weight rather than your height.

Also if you are still beginning you'll want a softer board, it makes learning that much easier because stiffer boards are less forgiving.
    But once you get good a soft board will feel really unstable at speed.

What springs to my mind is what size are your feet, at six three I'm guessing that you'll need a mid wide board to ensure foot drag is not an issue.

Static M.E. riding a board that size must be very slow for someone who is 13st.
    Unless you're an absolute park rat it's the wrong size for you.
    But if you like it, why not I guess.

oops, just went out to look at it and it turns out it's 160cm!! :o:o:o
    Sorry for the nonsense then.

lol, I knew there was something wrong there. :)

Tippin the scales at less than 12 stone so not exactly heavy. Size ten feet, so they do jut out over the edge a tad. Only noticed them dragging on really fast (lots of lean) corners where the snow was packed, with the toes just dragging a bit.
    After holding it up against me it's just at the top of my shoulders. Correct length non?

Static M.E. riding a board that size must be very slow for someone who is 13st.Unless you're an absolute park rat it's the wrong size for you.
    But if you like it, why not I guess

:o I actually posted my wrong height earlier.. just had an assessment tonight where my instructor confirmed I'm only 5'11".. I'm been telling people for an age I'm 6'/6'1" but anyway..

I actually find the 158" quite fast thats why I moved down to a 157" rather than a 159 or 161, I'm hoping with the smaller board I will get move maneuverability.

Size ten feet, so they do jut out over the edge a tad.

How much is a tad? A centimetre? An inch?

Less than an inch anyway, from memory. Plus it's the toes too so they curve up and lessen the overhang in effect. I might see if the bindings can go back a wee bit. Never paid that much attention when I was fitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

For a rule of thumb (i.e for when we're handing out rental gear to people and don't have time to go into details about exact height/weight etc)

Ideal board length should generally be between your top lip and the tip of your nose when held in front of you.

For freestyle boards, anywhere from about your adam's apple to your top lip, most people tend to go for chin height or slightly lower.

For freeriding/all mountain/powder the board should be between the tip of your nose and the bridge of your nose.

This can differ slightly depending on weight, and generally it's all dependent on personal preference, there's no rights and wrongs, just what people prefer. Although a shorter board won't preform as well in powder and a powder board won't be as good in the park, you'll be able to ride either in either place.

Advertisement