Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't post in Helpdesk

Options
  • 27-11-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hello

I've just tried to reply to the most recent post in thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055181781 in Help Desk, and get the following error message:

Taildragon, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Yes I know that this is a Help Desk topic, but as the nursery rhyme goes "There's a hole in the bucket... etc. etc".
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Only admins and smods can reply on the help desk. Even I can't reply there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Taildragon

KH, thanks for the reply.

I did read the stickies, but it's been a very long day and I'm a little bit sleep-deprived at the moment.

If I've got it right, then only the OP and/or and Admin or Smod can reply to an open thread?

I had some input that might/not help with happygandalf's issue - so the only way to offer that input is to start a new thread?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Taildragon wrote: »
    If I've got it right, then only the OP and/or and Admin or Smod can reply to an open thread?

That's right.
    I had some input that might/not help with happygandalf's issue - so the only way to offer that input is to start a new thread?

You could pm the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Post it here if you like.

@AlmightyCushion

K.

Will do, thanks.

Goodnight all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@Taildragon

If you post here it could be useful for other users who may have the same problem.

We like to share.

V.

Well, it really isn't all that exciting, I can assure you.

Here it is anyway: wrt the problem that happygandalf is seeing (timestamps on posts being out of sync), I've observed the following:

On intially opening (an anonymous) session with boards, the default boards time is one hour into the future (i.e. it seems to be stuck in summertime, or CET??)

Once logged in, the timestamps are set to local time (for Ireland) as I have that time zone set in my preferences.

If the session cookie expires (which seems to happen fairly quickly) then the time reverts to local+1

In other words, if you get up to make a cup of tea/coffee, answer the phone, let the dog in/out it's quite likely that the session cookie will expire, and your perception of the timescale on threads is distorted.

That's it. Told you it wasn't exciting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the session cookie expires (which seems to happen fairly quickly)

If you want to stop the quick timeout, log in on the forums index page and click the remember me box.

Thanks AC, I understand that.

What I'm suggesting is that the default time on vB is set incorrectly for the Irish time zone (unless you happen to be in central Europe at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks for explaining that Taildragon. That as a mighty help, and I was baffled with the problem.

Is it possible to get the default time changed to automatically detect the server's DST setting or is boards.ie always going to be like this in the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Shush Gordon...

A relative newcomer could not possibly be correct.

The vb settings are

date_time_bie.jpg

Does this mean that the operating system clock is incorrect?

Advertisement