Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What 2008 1.4

Options
  • 28-11-2007 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to buy a new car in the new year but im not sure what to get.
    The Leon looks good and is a good price but so is the golf,the difference in price between a 3 door golf and a 5 door leon is about 2k(the golf being more expensive)but i cant really afford a 5 door golf

Can anyone recommend a good 1.4 in around the 20k mark,i also want one thats going to hold a decent value in 2 years time with around 50 - 60 k on the clock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

First of all stay away from all things french.The auris is supposedly quite heavy on fuel but it would hold its value fairly well, A bit boring though.The astra is better to drive but is also heavy on fuel, gettin on a bit as well.As for kia and hyundai- they wont hold value and will be hard to sell.That more or less narrows it down to the focus and the golf/octavia/leon.The focus is being heavily facelifted and being made to look like the mondeo in february.Its also rumoured to be gettin ESP as standard.You say that the golf is above budget but do bear in mind that it has aircon as standard and it will hold its value better than any other car in the sector.The octavia is great if u need space the space of a passat.The leon looks great but wont hold its value any way near as well as the golf.overall i advise the golf, octavia or the focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Zonda999 wrote: »
    First of all stay away from all things french.The auris is supposedly quite heavy on fuel but it would hold its value fairly well, A bit boring though.The astra is better to drive but is also heavy on fuel, gettin on a bit as well.As for kia and hyundai- they wont hold value and will be hard to sell.That more or less narrows it down to the focus and the golf/octavia/leon.The focus is being heavily facelifted and being made to look like the mondeo in february.Its also rumoured to be gettin ESP as standard.You say that the golf is above budget but do bear in mind that it has aircon as standard and it will hold its value better than any other car in the sector.The octavia is great if u need space the space of a passat.The leon looks great but wont hold its value any way near as well as the golf.overall i advise the golf, octavia or the focus.

Cheers,whats the focus like on the road?
    also what do you think about the new civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

i second zonda999's advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

GOLF, GOLF GOLF, They hold there value great if you sell it privately. I know from experience i have sold 3 golfs in the paast 2 years and they do hold the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The civic is a definately a good car bit it does'nt seem to have a dedicated customer base in this country.You really dont see that many of them, where i live anyway.Its looks are a bit love 'em or hate 'em.the base model is around 23500 i tink but i suppose it does have air con and ESP.I'd still advise the three mentioned above over it because it would'nt be that popular as a used buy.i.e you could charge as much as a golf but it could take a long time to shift it so you may end up charging a lower price to sell it quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any 2 year old 1.4 litre car with 50k or 60k on the clock will be worth less than lower mileage similar models.

I think the OP should consider one of the small engined diesel hatchbacks out there if doing that kind of mileage.

Astra, Auris, etc are available in 1.3 or 1.4 litre diesel.

If you cannot afford a new one then either wait until you can afford it or consider a low mileage 07 model, you will save money in the long term as diesels hold their value very well and are always in demand second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The civic is a great car but you'll be hard pushed to get one for your budget. The 1.4 is a bit underpowered for it too (Hello Golf 1.4!) but by all accounts is very economical. Also for our good old VRT'd market most of the 1.4 civics are totally minimum spec. You'll get steel wheels and air con, ESP (VSA in honda speak), ABS and bugger all else.

You don't even get the fancy trianglular exhausts unless the original owner of the car specced them as an extra when they bought it. By contrast the 1.8 versions come with nearly everything thrown in, depending on spec level. ES models have fancy glass roof, front fogs and electric mirrors, whereas EX models have leather and HID lights, but no fancy glass roof, fogs or leccy mirrors, again unless the original buyer specced them as extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

drdre wrote: »
    GOLF, GOLF GOLF, They hold there value great if you sell it privately. I know from experience i have sold 3 golfs in the paast 2 years and they do hold the value.

I would say VW Golf or Skodia, but the Golf will hold its value better in two years and will probably be easier to sell also. I drive a VW Golf at the moment and i really like, even though im trying to sell, but i want a change of car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

whats a focus like on the road? Light years ahead of a golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I know you weren't considering it, but just in case...

I drove a new Lancer as I was considering one for the wife in January. It was utterly utterly awful. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

BnA wrote: »
    I know you weren't considering it, but just in case...

I drove a new Lancer as I was considering one for the wife in January. It was utterly utterly awful. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

They look uglier in the flesh too! What was wrong with the drive?

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I would say VW Golf or Skodia, but the Golf will hold its value better in two years and will probably be easier to sell also. I drive a VW Golf at the moment and i really like, even though im trying to sell, but i want a change of car.
    Same as me i have had afew golfs now im going to get a bmw.Just want a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

drdre wrote: »
    Same as me i have had afew golfs now im going to get a bmw.Just want a change

didnt you just get a new GTi golf? why do you want to change so soon!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The new FIAT Bravo 1.4 - 150BHP and probably the nicest to drive of any of the cars listed so far.

I know it will depreciate a bit more than some of those, but they will all depreciate heavily with that kind of mileage.

Also a big warranty afaik....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

cyborg wrote: »
    They look uglier in the flesh too! What was wrong with the drive?
    100% true. Ugly as sin in the flesh

The whole car was just.... bland I suppose. For a span new car it was just boring. The interior was plain and boring. It felt cheap. It looks terrible from the outside. One or two specifics bugged me. For example, there is no handle on the boot at all. You have to pop it from the inside and then grab the actual body of the car to lift it up.

The drive itself.... Well I didn't drive it that far. Only about half a mile. I had my mind made up before I drove it anyway. It would have to have been a spectacular drive to make up for it's other short comings and basically, it wasn't.

It would be replacing a 03 Octavia which we bought new. I would definately buy a new Octavia again before I would buy the Lancer. It is better in almost every way.

I think I will go back to the original plan and try and pick up a 06 Passat or Mondeo or something like that in an end of year sale.

C_Breeze wrote: »
    didnt you just get a new GTi golf? why do you want to change so soon!!?
    Yep i have the gti.Im addicted to cars .Just like to keep changing.I get fed up easily.Ive had nearly 6-7 cars in the last 2 years easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The civic is a definately a good car bit it does'nt seem to have a dedicated customer base in this country.You really dont see that many of them, where i live anyway.Its looks are a bit love 'em or hate 'em.the base model is around 23500 i tink but i suppose it does have air con and ESP.I'd still advise the three mentioned above over it because it would'nt be that popular as a used buy.i.e you could charge as much as a golf but it could take a long time to shift it so you may end up charging a lower price to sell it quickly

i wouldn't think not having a dedicated customer base is necessarily a bad thing, ask anybody who is trying to sell a second hand focus at the moment, the forecourts are literally bursting at the seams

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

prospect wrote: »
    The new FIAT Bravo 1.4 - 150BHP and probably the nicest to drive of any of the cars listed so far.

I know it will depreciate a bit more than some of those, but they will all depreciate heavily with that kind of mileage.

Also a big warranty afaik....

It costs €25k though which would mean it is outside the OP's budget. The 120bhp version is close to €21k though.

Advertisement