Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverstown

Options
  • 28-11-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys just wondering what this place is like?? The sligo folk park is supposed to be great. I hear they also christmas panto there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

Quiet!

But seriously, Rivertown is a beautiful part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Great spot. Must get up there myself again some day.

Was there a lot when I was a nipper!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Yes cool place, has alot of different trad festivals/fairs thoughout the year and then santa at xmas! Great for kids as theres all the different type of animals as well in the folk park, and a cafe. Village is fairly unspoilt which is a great plus, and a dairy co-op in centre of the town. There seems to be a good buzz from the pubs too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

The Folk Park is interesting but could be so much better and don't believe everything you read about it on the leaflets/website about craft demonstrations etc. I wouldn't go near the place until well after Christmas because all they are interested in at the moment is Santatown to the great detriment of the actual folk park. :rolleyes: Compare prices with the Arigna Mining Experience if you're thinking of going to see Santa. ;)

The actual village is quiet but has too many new houses now for my liking. The new houses opposite the RC church are built on such a swamp that they'll be bungalows in a couple of years time! :D

The pubs are good for traditional Irish music. The surrounding area is beautiful, especially down towards the Lough Arrow area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

genie wrote: »
    The Folk Park is interesting but could be so much better and don't believe everything you read about it on the leaflets/website about craft demonstrations etc. I wouldn't go near the place until well after Christmas because all they are interested in at the moment is Santatown to the great detriment of the actual folk park. :rolleyes: Compare prices with the Arigna Mining Experience if you're thinking of going to see Santa. ;)

The actual village is quiet but has too many new houses now for my liking. The new houses opposite the RC church are built on such a swamp that they'll be bungalows in a couple of years time! :D

The pubs are good for traditional Irish music. The surrounding area is beautiful, especially down towards the Lough Arrow area.

You are probably right that they could do more especially if they arent doing the courses. I always reckon that alot of the pleasure you get from a place like that is almost accidentally/ad hoc. The old authentic cottage is even better if you get someone to show you around, and the animals there are great for kids. No doubt they are probably doing some jungling act trying to run a place with a hotch potch of small grants and volunteers been worked off their feet. Same old same old, heritage not given priority :rolleyes: Its a great resource to the local community though.
    Went to arigna myself last year, (support your own and an all that) was very good. ;)
    Still like the village. Didnt think the development was that offensive. Some nice buildings, old shops that you could probably buy bulls eyes in! (as in not all chains), the Co-Op, old stone barns and the like. I suppose it all relative. Alot of towns have the same formula new estates , no sensitivity in location or rural setting.
    I am afraid Ballysadare (I went to school there too, so have a fondness for it) comes to mind as one thats has been "changed" imo for the worse, and theres too many in that league. :(
    Thanks for the tip re the pubs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah Is the best Pub Tommies?? Whats The staff Like in The Sligo Folk Park??

robdcu wrote: »
    Whats The staff Like in The Sligo Folk Park??

Think peanuts and monkeys...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

genie wrote: »
    Think peanuts and monkeys...;)

Well we visited last year and it was fine. It certainly brought a bit of the magic of Christmas to our then 6 yr old. The staff were fine too so I think this post might be both misleading and quite disingenuous to the people who work there.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Well we visited last year and it was fine. It certainly brought a bit of the magic of Christmas to our then 6 yr old. The staff were fine too so I think this post might be both misleading and quite disingenuous to the people who work there.

The staff you speak of are almost all volunteers and do not actually work there. They do fine on big occasions such as the vintage rallies and Santatown because of all these volunteers but on a day to day basis the Folk Park is severely lacking.

Advertisement